The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Hauser

Albany River Rats

Why didn't all those guys play?
Because tonight was our last game of the regular season and it did not mean anything for us win or lose. So coach Rowe did not want to risk injury to any of the players and wanted them to get some rest and get ready for the playoffs. And he wanted to get some of the kids into the lineup that had not had a chance to play alot since getting here.

Thank you. Weed need all the luck we can get playing Hershey in the first round :lol:

Thanks Max! Please keep us to date on OUR quest to win back to back Stanley and Calder Cups.

Thanks Max! Please keep us to date on OUR quest to win back to back Stanley and Calder Cups.
I sure will keep you guys up to date.

Nothing Personal Max but I sure hope we can see some of Keith next year.
No I hope Keith gets a shot up there next season as well. I hope he get make the Canes out of training camp and can get a full time spot up there and can do some of the amazing things up there that he has done down here all season long. I always want a player to do well and get a shot.

rats clinched a playoff spot tonight and keith aucoin set the river rats single season scoring record

Keith shows a lot of potential, but so far his stints "with the big boys" has demonstrated he needs more strength on the puck and perhaps a bit more size. If he gets stronger (or plays bigger then his size aka Chad LaRose) I feel sure he'll get in.

He shows a nose for the goal, but he's allowed defenseman and other forwards to blow him off his path a bit too easy. I am bullish on him, so I hope this perception changes.

is jesse boulerice still playing??
No he is not. Jesse has gone home because he is done for the season. He is imjured. I have no clue what the injury is thow because they have not said anything about what his injury is.

No he is not. Jesse has gone home because he is done for the season. He is imjured. I have no clue what the injury is thow because they have not said anything about what his injury is.

o alright thanks!

I hate the Rats lost tonight!! Their penalties killed them!!! I hope they beat the bears next game!!! Good luck!!
Yeah penalties sure did kill us lasnight. We need to do a much better job at staying out of the penaltiy box tonight. And we really need Keith Aucoin to get going tonight. He did not have his best game lastnight.

People in the know: Do you think Carolina will resign Aucoin, he's a UFA at the end of the season. Honestly, i hope he goes elsewhere...i don't think Carolina's system works well for his type of player. I'd like to see him end up in Tampa (maybe he and St Louis can talk about what a b*tch Vermont winters are), or somewhere else where smaller forwards are successful. 99pts in the AHL should = NHL time. Who knows? We'll see.

r

People in the know: Do you think Carolina will resign Aucoin, he's a UFA at the end of the season. Honestly, i hope he goes elsewhere...i don't think Carolina's system works well for his type of player. I'd like to see him end up in Tampa (maybe he and St Louis can talk about what a b*tch Vermont winters are), or somewhere else where smaller forwards are successful. 99pts in the AHL should = NHL time. Who knows? We'll see.

r

Well I hope to god they do resign Aucoin. I love this guy and would hate to see him play anywhere else other than Carolina. But if he does get a better chance to play in the NHL with another team then I would wish him all the luck in the world. But I really hope he is resigned buy the Canes and gets to play for the Canes.

r

Aucoin signed a two-year deal last summer.

I'm glad the Rats won last night!! Good job guys!!

I was amazed how brief the report was on this game on Albanes and the Calder cup Website.

Found this in the Albany Paper.

Rats get even in OT

Finger's read, Willis' shot send series north tied at 1-1

By PETE DOUGHERTY, Staff writer

Click byline for more stories by writer.

First published: Friday, April 20, 2007

HERSHEY, Pa. -- Familiarity breeds contempt, but it also can extract knowledge that might be useful in timely moments. For instance, Albany River Rats defenseman Jeff Finger noticed a pattern Thursday night in how the Hershey Bears were sending the puck into the offensive zone.

He used that wisdom to make an interception at the start of overtime and set up Shane Willis for the winning goal in a 3-2 playoff victory over the Bears.

Willis ripped a wrist shot off the glove of Hershey defenseman Tim Wedderburn and past goaltender Frederic Cassivi 10 seconds into the extra session to give Albany a split of the opening two games of the best-of-7 series as the teams prepare to head north. Game 3 is Sunday at Glens Falls Civic Center.

"Whenever they were winning draws, (Hershey forward Dave) Steckel was posting up the side, trying to tip it in," Finger said. "They were doing it all game. The (defenseman) hesitated for a second, and I was able to get in front of Steckel and get the pass."

Finger heard Willis yell for the puck, and his shot resulted in the second-fastest overtime goal in American Hockey League playoff history. Dennis Kassian of Buffalo scored eight seconds into overtime against Springfield on April 26, 1970.

"It was a great play by Jeff in the neutral zone," Willis said. "He stepped up and intercepted that pass that they've been doing all night up the middle. I just wanted to get the puck on net. It went off their defenseman's glove and changed up on Cassivi, and he wasn't able to recover."

"There's nothing really anybody can do about it because it's a bounce that goes in their favor," Cassivi said. "No one really made a mistake on the play. It's unfortunate for us. That's what happens when you throw pucks at the net."

The Rats felt vindicated after putting up a strong fight in the series opener against the defending Calder Cup champion and top-seeded team in this year's playoffs, only to lose 3-2.

The next three games will be at Glens Falls Civic Center -- the Rats' temporary home because of conflicts at Albany's Times Union Center -- with the series even at 1-1.

"We're back alive," Finger said. "We have home-ice advantage now."

"I told them, 'You worked so hard, and you deserved what you got,' " Rats coach Tom Rowe said. "I told them I busted their heads quite a bit in the regular season and got in their face, and it was all because of what just happened out there."

Willis also scored 1:15 into the game to give Albany an early lead, and rookie Jakub Petruzalek enabled the Rats to get to overtime by scoring with 9:10 remaining in regulation.

"They're resilient," Hershey coach Bruce Boudreau said. "I just told the guys it's going to be a long series.

"They're here to win it. They believe they can win it."

Aucoin signed a two-year deal last summer.

Excellent -- i hadn't heard that. I saw on hockeydb (or somewhere like it) that he was a UFA after this season. Hopefully he gets more than a handful of games w/ the Canes next season.

Good luck to the Rats the rest of the way...let's hope they can take out the defending champs.

r

p.s. why are they playing their home playoff games in Glens Falls?