The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Hauser

Albany River Rats

I think this is a good move and a popular one for the River Rats. Tom Rowe is a very good coach and becomeing very popular here in Albany as a coach. And the hiring of Kinnear is going to be a very popular decision here in Albany. Kinnear is one of the most popular players to ever play here in Albany. And all the fans here love Geordie Kinnear. He has been an assistant coach here in Albany before and we are love him here and glad The Canes decided to bring him in. He lives here in Albany now and he loves it here.

I wonder if the Canes would ever think about have a couple of the "Rats" games at the RBC.I think it would be a good thing for the players and the Fans as well, we could get a better idea of who these guys are and how they play!!Plus what an incentive for the players to be able to see where they could end up playing in the Bigs!

What are your thoughts on this??

Would we as Fans support a couple of these games?

I wonder if the Canes would ever think about have a couple of the "Rats" games at the RBC.I think it would be a good thing for the players and the Fans as well, we could get a better idea of who these guys are and how they play!!Plus what an incentive for the players to be able to see where they could end up playing in the Bigs!

That would be pretty cool!

I use to go to the IceCaps games all the time. Nothing like watching minor league sports.

I'd go!!!

the only time that could be realistically accomplished would be in the preseason when some of them might still be on our roster. I think their training camp doesn't start until ours ends. I have seen that done in baseball (Pittsburg Pirates would show up to play a game against the Mudcats during the season - was great for fans and autograph hounds (i went to every one of those games and my kid has tons of autograph's from those teams)). Would be something that the players association and the league would have to agree on.

I think it would be nice to send the Hurricanes up to Albany to play a scrimmage against the River Rats to show some unity between the two clubs. It would also allow our coaches and front office a chance to see how our minor league prospects perform against our major league players.

I think it would be nice to send the Hurricanes up to Albany to play a scrimmage against the River Rats to show some unity between the two clubs. It would also allow our coaches and front office a chance to see how our minor league prospects perform against our major league players.

that is great in theory but couldn't take place until the middle of the season (potential to risk injury) and the league/NHLPA would have to ok which won't happen.

You could do it if you convice Albany to give up a home game to move it to Raleigh and whoever they are playing in that game to go to Raleigh instead. It would work best if you somehow did it in conjunction with a Canes game, though I think the ice conditions might be a problem if you played two back to back games on it, or the caniac carnival.

You could do it if you convice Albany to give up a home game to move it to Raleigh and whoever they are playing in that game to go to Raleigh instead. It would work best if you somehow did it in conjunction with a Canes game, though I think the ice conditions might be a problem if you played two back to back games on it, or the caniac carnival.

You would still need approval by the league, the owners, and the Players Association which would not go along with it. The league wouldn't like it unless a lot of revenue was generated, the owner's don't want to risk a player getting injured during an exhibition game with the minor league club (say two d-men collide on the ice and get hurt, your are down one roster d-man and a depth one in the minors), and the Players Association wouldn't go along with it unless there was some financial benefit to the players. I have only seen this done in baseball and we all can agree hockey is much tougher on you than baseball.

caniac97 wrote:

You would still need approval by the league, the owners, and the Players Association which would not go along with it. The league wouldn't like it unless a lot of revenue was generated, the owner's don't want to risk a player getting injured during an exhibition game with the minor league club (say two d-men collide on the ice and get hurt, your are down one roster d-man and a depth one in the minors), and the Players Association wouldn't go along with it unless there was some financial benefit to the players. I have only seen this done in baseball and we all can agree hockey is much tougher on you than baseball.

From what I gather you are saying that the canes would play the rats, and lets face it the logistcal issues are a nightmare there. I am suggesting the rats play another AHL team in Raleigh. That shouldn't need aproval, its just a change of venue. Or, and this would probably need approval, you could have the Rats play the Everblades.

caniac97 wrote:

From what I gather you are saying that the canes would play the rats, and lets face it the logistcal issues are a nightmare there. I am suggesting the rats play another AHL team in Raleigh. That shouldn't need aproval, its just a change of venue. Or, and this would probably need approval, you could have the Rats play the Everblades.

that might be doable but who would you market those tickets to?? the fans in Albany would be po'd if they get to see one less game.

The question would be is would canes fans show up just to see the prospects. The probable answer is no, but you never know. The idea of paring it with another event like a canes game or something like the carnival was to give draw to both, kinda like a two for one. This isn't really a money maker but more of an "educated fan base" kind of thing. I think as an organization its good to have your fans know who's in the system, but would people go? I would, as long as the game counted for something (I've been to one exhibition/preseason game and that was the worst waste of time ever.), but I can't speak for others.

The rats giving up the home game is the bigger problem, I know their fans wouldn't be happy. That is unless they somehow recieved something back in return, but who knows what you could do for that.

I wouldn't go, it will be everything I can do to go to 41 home games. The only time I have been to an AHL game is when the Canes Organization took all the STH's to Norfolk to watch the Loch Monsters play the Admirals during the lockout.

We did have one game a few years ago when we were still affiliated with the Devils that thay moved one of our regular season games down to New Jersey. It did not do that well. It only drew like just over 4 thousand. Not saying that it would not work down there in Religh. I would love to see one of our games moved down there. When we had our game down in New Jersey they did offer us free transportantion maybe the Rats office could do that again offer us transportantion down there. They did offer refunds to season ticket holders that did not want to make the trip down to New Jersey. As for an opponent maybe if they did move a game down there it could be against Norfolk. Since Norfolk is the closet AHL team to there. So they would not have to travel as far to get there. As for a scrimage between the Rats and Canes I would love to see that. Maybe have like 2 scrimages one down there and once here. I know alot of us fans would love to see the Canes play a preseason game here in Albany. The Devils us to play a preseason game here and we would love see the Canes play a game here.