The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
kingofminneapolis

who is top candidate for 3rd line center

Todd White, Petr Sykora are pretty good UFAs for 3rd line centers. White especially is good with his speed, he was great in Ottawa, took a step back with Minnesota's defensive style though., he's small but still plays hard. Another two good candidates for the Canes would be Dean McAmmond from Ottawa, great speed and good forechecker (is inconsistent at times scoring though). Another good candidate would be Yanic Perreault , best face-off man in the league, good finisher, and can contribute on the PP (His skating and defensive skills are suspect though). Any of those 4 sounds good to me, but of course Rutherford would know best.

I don't see use getting a free agent 3rd line center. Need the money to resign Walker and get a good D-man. Put LaRose as 3rd center and bring up Aucoin (I believe he's a center) to take over the 4th line.

I think that Walker should wing for Rosie and Craig Adams. Put Ladd and Letowski on Aucoin's wings...

Stillman-Staal-Cole

Whitney-Brind'Amour-Williams

Adams-LaRose-Walker

Ladd-Aucoin-Letowski

Kaberle-Commodore

Wesley-Wallin

Seidenberg-Tanabe

Ward

Grahame

Who do you think is JR's #1 candidate for 3rd line center at this point?

do you think he will sign walker and put him there, trade for a new guy, or possibly call up an AHL'er?

i personally like walker, but i wouldnt mind seing a new young face fill in that role either

any ideas?

Walker isn't a candidate because he is not a center and there is zero chance an AHL'er is the starting center.

What was clearly lacking was puck handling and speed at that position. Despite Walker's contributions on the wing it too often resembled a 4th line of cycling and grinding than it did the 3rd line of the Cup season which was a legit scoring threat. So I think someone who can skate and score, contribute on the PP and as a bonus chip in on the PK is the ideal fit.

My personal choice is Stumpel of Florida, a UFA who can do all of the above.

Walker isn't a candidate because he is not a center and there is zero chance an AHL'er is the starting center.

I'm sorry, but what?

Eventually, AHLers do become NHLers. That's why their in the AHL. And seeing how Aucoin's breaking all kinds of records in the AHL, and how well he's done when he's been brought up, I don't see it that far fetched to put him as a 4th liner.

I'm sorry, but what?

Eventually, AHLers do become NHLers. That's why their in the AHL. And seeing how Aucoin's breaking all kinds of records in the AHL, and how well he's done when he's been brought up, I don't see it that far fetched to put him as a 4th liner.

I think he meant theirs a zero chance an AHLer that is signed with Carolina will be a 3rd line center next season. At least thats what I hope he meant

I'm sorry, but what?

The thread title and specific question in the first post was about a 3rd line center. The Canes have nobody at Albany who can step and center a 3rd line. Aucoin's career upside is a 4th liner.

I would actually like to see Aucoin as the 4th line center ahead of LaRose. Aucoin is actually pretty good on the puck despite his size and he knows how the play the position. LaRose is lost at center is better on the wing on the 4th line.

What you are missing about the Canes is that the AHL has been an afterthought for the most part. It has been used for depth but hopefully that changes without a split affiliate this year. Compare the Canes AHL roster in recent years to Buffalo's. Mostly retreads vs. young players with potential.

Sorry, you just confused me when you said an AHLer couldn't be a starting center.

Of course, this whole topic's null and void if we do keep JoVa. I believe he's got the current 3rd line center role, right?

Sorry, you just confused me when you said an AHLer couldn't be a starting center.

Of course, this whole topic's null and void if we do keep JoVa. I believe he's got the current 3rd line center role, right?

Not to belabor the point but I said the starting center, in reference to the third line.

Technically Vasicek would be considered the 3rd line center from last season's roster but JR's comments make it seem like they are going in a different direction. Having said that though, if they can't land one of their top targets or have to pay more than expected for an upgrade along the blueline then maybe he comes back into the picture.

Can we just get Cullen back, that would end the whole issue. :mellow:

You know what, that probably isn't so far fetched. Rangers fans like cullen, but they don't like how he's getting paid like $2.8-2.5 million the res tof his 4 year contract (yea, i know Ranger fans are ignorant at times). Not sure how the team feels, they have lots of young players they want to bring up, they would possibly be open to hearing offers to bring Cullen over. Quesiton are the canes willing to pay him $2.8 mil this season and a descending salary the next 2 seasons afterwards. I

I'm a Rangers fan first, but I'm also a big Cullen fan and I can honestly say they do not use Cullen right, they only played him at the point on the PP in the playoffs for like 2 minutes a game, and they never use dhim at the point during the season when they had no one to even play the point really. He was used sparingly in the shootouts in my opinion, and he isn't able to use his speed as much as he would probably like with the rangers game style. I think Rutherford should call up Sather and see if he wants to dump his salary and make a deal at the draft or something. Cullen would be much more valuable to Carolina the way they use him than in New York, they'll play him a lot on the PP, use him in shootouts more, and I don't think they'll stick him out there in shorthanded situations. Plus he's perfect for their game style, his faceoff % was excellent this season, and he is a 3rd line centre that will play like a top 6 forward for them. I DO hope Cullen comes back to Carolina, where he clicks much better.

Can we just get Cullen back, that would end the whole issue. :mellow:

You know what, that probably isn't so far fetched. Rangers fans like cullen, but they don't like how he's getting paid like $2.8-2.5 million the res tof his 4 year contract (yea, i know Ranger fans are ignorant at times). Not sure how the team feels, they have lots of young players they want to bring up, they would possibly be open to hearing offers to bring Cullen over. Quesiton are the canes willing to pay him $2.8 mil this season and a descending salary the next 2 seasons afterwards.

It's possibly just wishful thinking but when I hear both Renney and Shanny talking about the need for an upgrade for 2nd line center, the scenarios could result in Cullen being bought out. They have made no secret about wanting Gomez and they still would have to sign Shanny and Nylander is also going to be an UFA. Lundqvist is an RFA and due for a pretty big raise too.

So if they bring in a high-priced guy like Gomez and re-up pricey FA's like Shanny and Nylander will what they pay Cullen be too much to penciled in on the 3rd line? It's possible they could play him at wing but if Avery re-signs he could take over as the 3rd line center. With JR's comments this year about Cullen, they'd jump at the chance to get him for a bargain.

Eactly, Cullen can't be bought out though, i think thats against NHL rules. Or at least a portion of his salary would still be on the Cap. Canes could trade a conditional draft pick or something for him. Not sure what JR's comments were about Cullen, but I'm guessing the team needs a guy like him at 3rd line Center. but again, Cullen could be in the rangers long-term plans, and for all i know, they might try him again at 2nd line center. Gomez wants lots of dough, and too much for a 2nd line cente rin my opinion. I pray Gomez doesn't sign with New York.

Eactly, Cullen can't be bought out though, i think thats against NHL rules. Or at least a portion of his salary would still be on the Cap. Canes could trade a conditional draft pick or something for him. Not sure what JR's comments were about Cullen, but I'm guessing the team needs a guy like him at 3rd line Center. but again, Cullen could be in the rangers long-term plans, and for all i know, they might try him again at 2nd line center. Gomez wants lots of dough, and too much for a 2nd line cente rin my opinion. I pray Gomez doesn't sign with New York.

No, he can be bought out. It's not against the rules but a portion of his salary would be a cap hit. The Canes aren't going to pay what's on his contract unless he gets bought out and they sign his as FA as was the case when Whitney got bought out by Detroit.

I doubt he gets a second chance on the 2nd line. When he flopped trying to center Shanny and he is one of the guys calling for an upgrade there, you had better find someone else if you hope to re-sign Shanny. So Cullen could be the third line center but then it limits what they can pay for their other FA's and needs. They paid (overpaid) Cullen to center the 2nd line and it didn't work out.

Before they figured out how to use Cullen, there were talks that they would buy out his contract at the end of the season. Then they figured out how to use him and the talks of buying out his contract stopped. However, that's not to say that they wouldn't listen to offers to trade him.

I'm guessing JR is willing to spend up to $2 million on a 3rd line center. If Walker doesn't sign, then maybe JR could put some of Walker's money into the Cullen pot and make a bid for him. Move LaRose up to the 3rd line and depending on training camp, we could pencil in Keith Aucoin or Bobby Hughes or pick up a cheap FA as the 4th line center.

If the Rangers are willing to make the trade to clear cap space, then we may not have to offer much maybe one of our excess defensemen (Babchuk, Hutchinson, Seidenberg) and a prospect from Albany or a draft pick.

Of course this is all wishful thinking but then our forward lines could look a little something like this:

Ladd(Stillman)-Staal-Cole

Stillman(Ladd)-Cullen-LaRose

Adams-Aucoin/Hughes/FA-Letowski

Brett McLean is someone I would consider. He had 15 goals and 20 assists in 78 games as a third-line center for Colorado last year. He only made $750,000 last year, so he would probably be cheap.

Ooh, I'd forgotten about McLean. Colorado's pretty deep at center, so we probably won't re-sign him. Since I don't get to watch the Avs much *cough* twice a year *cough*, I tend to forget about players like him.

I think that Walker should wing for Rosie and Craig Adams. Put Ladd and Letowski on Aucoin's wings...

Stillman-Staal-Cole

Adams-LaRose-Walker

Ladd-Aucoin-Letowski

Kaberle-Commodore

Wesley-Wallin

Seidenberg-Tanabe

Ward

Grahame

is there any reason you left out hedican on defense?

also i would still like to see a new face in this position FA/ recently drafted w/e but really as long as they can pick up the slack and are reasonably cheap i am happy.

I think that we should bring up Keith Aucoin. He is great.. he has lots of energy and he handles the puck well. If he wasnt a good player then he wouldnt be breaking records in the AHL. When chad Larose centered, he was really good, he just needs to work on being strong on the puck.

I think that we should bring up Keith Aucoin. He is great.. he has lots of energy and he handles the puck well. If he wasnt a good player then he wouldnt be breaking records in the AHL. When chad Larose centered, he was really good, he just needs to work on being strong on the puck.

I think the only reason they havent done that yet is because of his size. In the games he played last year, he got torn up and tossed around. I would bring him up if he was 6',1" 200lbs.

LaRose can't win face-offs, which is why he only lasted a game and a half at center.

Keith Aucoin is a career AHLer, albeit an AHL all-star. That doesn't make him an NHLer, which is why he has played only 15 NHL games despite being the same exact age as Erik Cole. He is tiny and doesn't make up for it with speed or grit like St. Louis/Gionta do.

LaRose can't win face-offs, which is why he only lasted a game and a half there.

Keith Aucoin is a career AHLer, albeit an AHL all-star. That doesn't make him an NHLer, which is why he has played only 15 NHL games despite being the same exact age as Erik Cole. He is tiny and doesn't make up for it with speed or grit like St. Louis/Gionta do.

Exactly. that speed and grit was what i was trying to get at. He needs something really overpowering about him. Like Kahz said, he's just a good AHL'er.