The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
kingofminneapolis

who is top candidate for 3rd line center

Vasichek's not that bad. Seemed like near the end of the season he finally realized he could use his size to his advantage. As such, he started showing up on the scoreboard more often. He's not as bad as most make him out to be.

However, from the rumors I've heard, he's not returning anyway.

this whole topic's null and void if we do keep JoVa.

No! Please no! Tell me it won't be so!

I don't think he's returning. Well atleast that's my wish. I like Jova as a person, but his play does not fit Lavi's system. I'd rather JR take a chance on a new guy, then bring him back as our center.

First of all Big Joe is done in Carolina. I think we will sign a big time winger in the off season to replace walker who is gonna sign someplace for a ton of money. next years lines are gonna be

Stillman-Staal-free agent

Whitney-Brind'Amour-Williams

Adams-LaRose-Cole

Ladd-Aucoin-Letowski

Kaberle-Commodore

Gleason-Wallin

Wesley-Hedican

I think hedican will be back and hutchinson is gonna get dealt. Tanabe will not be resigned either. also look for letowski to get dealt and if Ladd doesnt do something he will also be gone and no chance will Cullen be back. Next year i do think hedican and wesley will be gone and Aaron Ward will sign back as a free agent probably to a long term deal.

First of all Big Joe is done in Carolina. I think we will sign a big time winger in the off season to replace walker who is gonna sign someplace for a ton of money. next years lines are gonna be

Adams-LaRose-Cole

Ladd-Aucoin-Letowski

Kaberle-Commodore

Gleason-Wallin

Wesley-Hedican

I think hedican will be back and hutchinson is gonna get dealt. Tanabe will not be resigned either. also look for letowski to get dealt and if Ladd doesnt do something he will also be gone and no chance will Cullen be back. Next year i do think hedican and wesley will be gone and Aaron Ward will sign back as a free agent probably to a long term deal.

Its already been reported that Wesley will be back and Hedican too unless he doesn't get cleared by his doctor. Why did you put Cole on the third line?

Adams-LaRose-Cole

Ladd-Aucoin-Letowski

Kaberle-Commodore

Gleason-Wallin

Wesley-Hedican

Its already been reported that Wesley will be back and Hedican too unless he doesn't get cleared by his doctor. Why did you put Cole on the third line?

Adams-LaRose-Cole

Ladd-Aucoin-Letowski

Kaberle-Commodore

Gleason-Wallin

Wesley-Hedican

Man, if you weren't able to look into the future, I'd totally call you out. <_<

You make sense at some parts, but in some others, you're speaking gibberish. Ladd's not going anywhere, not since he proved his grit in front of the net. Tanabe had a great season here, and he was one of our best Dmen late in the season. Don't know why you think he won't resign.

So our third and fourth lines will be centered by (1) a winger who can't win face-offs (2) a 28-year old career AHLer who is slow and tiny? <_<

Ladd will be on at least on the third line. He was one of our best players in the last few months of the season and is a recent #4 overall pick who is just 21. The idea that Adams will not only beat him out, but that Ladd will be "gone" is ridiculous.

Cole on the third line with Adams/LaRose is great way to waste four million dollars.

So our third and fourth lines will be centered by (1) a winger who can't win face-offs (2) a 28-year old career AHLer who is slow and tiny? <_<

Ladd will be on at least on the third line. He was one of our best players in the last few months of the season and is a recent #4 overall pick who is just 21. The idea that Adams will not only beat him out, but that Ladd will be "gone" is ridiculous.

Cole on the third line with Adams/LaRose is great way to waste four million dollars.

The thing is, on most teams, Adams-LaRose-Cole would be a second line (or better). We have a wealth of depth at forward, especially if Scottie re-signs:

LW:

Cory Stillman

Ray Whitney

Andrew Ladd

Craig Adams

C:

Rod Brind'Amour

Eric Staal

Chad LaRose

Josef Vasicek

Keith Aucoin

RW:

Erik Cole

Justin Williams

Trevor Letowski

Anson Carter

Scott Walker

So, with that, you can mix and match your lines at will with ease. For example:

Stillman-Staal-Cole

Ladd-Brind'Amour-Williams

Whitney-Vasicek-Walker

Adams-Aucoin-LaRose

Look at that...look at that lineup. I defy you to find an NHL team that can ice a lineup that good. Stillman, Staal, and Cole are all top NHL stars who would be top line players on any club, particularly Cole. On the second line, you've got the best centerman in the game, an extremely talented all-star RW, and a 21-year old left wing that is going to be a great player and is already a very strong power forward. The third line features a leading scorer, a center who wins a good percentage of draws, and a RW that can score, hit, and will fight anything that blinks at anyone the wrong way. Finally, the fourth line will hit anything that moves, is filled with speed, and has the most heart of any line in the league. If I got to coach a lineup like that, I wouldn't be afraid of how my offense would do against the all-time best teams. The defense and goaltending? Another matter...

Yes, LaRose can't win faceoffs now. However, he knew that after the Devils game. He also stated that he didn't care what position he played, as long as he got the ice time.

Now, taking those factors in, you don't think that if he knew he had a chance to center the 3rd line, he'd be spending the off-season working on faceoffs?

that is why Vasicek will be back, he can win faceoffs!! now he just needs to try and keep up with Cole on speed. Big Joe has potential or they would not have got him back!!

Ladd may finally get his chance to be on the first line, even. That's where I'd pencil him in barring some unforeseen circumstances.

The talk all along has been how Ladd is being groomed to play first line next to Staal. Last year he finally got a couple of rare chances to do just that, and he played great then. Some of the things said since then indicate that he might be moved up there this next season.

A line of Ladd-Staal-Cole would be awesome. Youth, speed, and power. All rolled together in one line. Especially if the Canes can have not just a second but a third line that are worthwhile, that first line could really wear down opponents and open the path for the 2nd and 3rd lines to do some major damage.

As for him being traded, if there were ever the chance for that, we'd have a guy by the name of Jordan Staal on our team right now. JR would have to get quite an offer to see Ladd moved.

David Tanabe makes 5 mistakes for every 1 good play. If JR resigns i hope to god its only for 1 year. He could completely blow in training camp and we would have wasted the 1.3 or so he is gonna want. Anyways Aucoin could def fit in our 4th line, depends how he looks in training camp and if walker resigns and if we sign any free agents, really its all a guess until we see what walker, big joe, and tanabe do. Also dont forget we have Shane Willis and Ryan Bayda who could play a 4th line for us. I think JR def needs to get a defensive forward like walker if not walker and def a hardcore d-man. We def played better with 7 d-men a game. Oh yeah and Cullen is still not coming back and if Ladd isnt consistant this year, his 3rd year in the league, he is done in Carolina, before his 3 year deal is up.

Wow, Ladd could get us a 2nd round pick and a 3rd liner, we would have to give something else up to get somebody like Jordan Staal, Staal and Ladd are completely diff skill levels.

Wow, Ladd could get us a 2nd round pick and a 3rd liner, we would have to give something else up to get somebody like Jordan Staal, Staal and Ladd are completely diff skill levels.

Ladd isn't going anywhere!! We didn't draft him that high up just to bail a couple of years later because some fans don't like him.

Umm... In case you weren't around last year during the draft, Carolina tried trading Jack Johnson to the Pens for their first round pick that they took Jordan Staal with. The Pens wanted Ladd thrown in, but JR refused to add him to the deal. Thus why we still have Ladd, and not Staal.

Point is, if JR wasn't willing to deal Ladd then, plus the many other times he's had offers made for Ladd, it's going to take quite an offer to convince him to trade Ladd away.

No way Cole gets moved to the 3rd line. If anyone, it'll be Stillman. I can definetly see Ladd moving up to play with Cole and Staal. Especially if he picks up where he left off. With Hedican and Wesley both coming back, I don't see JR going after a d-man. We will have too many d again. If Walker doesn't come back, he'll use Walker's money to pick up a free agent.

Essentially, our lines could be this:

Ladd-Staal-Cole

Stillman-FA-Walker

Adams-Letowski-LaRose

If Walker doesn't come back, anyone think Willis is NHL ready? If so, he could slide into Walker's position and he'll be cheap. This could work, if Hedican does retire, we can have Willis for cheap and put money towards a decent defenseman and 3rd line center.

Currently and from talks we have the current D:

Gleason, Wallin, Commodore, Kaberle, Seidenberg, Hedican and Hutch (all under contract)

Babchuk and Wesley (need contract)

Babchuk will either be traded or will stay in Russia. Wesley is getting a contract. That will leave us with 8 defenseman. Unless Hedican decides to retire, JR probably won't go after a FA d-man. He could work out a trade, but what we'll have for trade bait (Hutch, Seidenberg, Letowski) probably won't get him a quality d-man.

I'm ready for July so we can start seeing what type of team were gonna have come training camp.

Yep, same here. Would have loved to see Babchuk back but it is looking more and more like the boy shot himself in the foot. Currently he is trade bait in the draft, not sure who to be po'd more at - Babs or his agent. You have to wonder about some of the sports agents out there, they all seem to act like they are representing Gretsky or Crosby.

Umm... In case you weren't around last year during the draft, Carolina tried trading Jack Johnson to the Pens for their first round pick that they took Jordan Staal with. The Pens wanted Ladd thrown in, but JR refused to add him to the deal. Thus why we still have Ladd, and not Staal.

Point is, if JR wasn't willing to deal Ladd then, plus the many other times he's had offers made for Ladd, it's going to take quite an offer to convince him to trade Ladd away.

I don't know if I still believe that or not. The Washington Capitals released a video of their general manager on draft day which showed what he went through. At one point, he receives a call from Pittsburgh's general manager and is told the offer is Jack Johnson for Pittsburgh's first-round pick straight up. The Capitals' general manager tells him to take the deal, what happens after that is unknown. They could have asked for Andrew Ladd at the last possible moment, but I doubt it.

No way Cole gets moved to the 3rd line. If anyone, it'll be Stillman. I can definetly see Ladd moving up to play with Cole and Staal. Especially if he picks up where he left off. With Hedican and Wesley both coming back, I don't see JR going after a d-man. We will have too many d again. If Walker doesn't come back, he'll use Walker's money to pick up a free agent.

Essentially, our lines could be this:

Ladd-Staal-Cole

Stillman-FA-Walker

Adams-Letowski-LaRose

If Walker doesn't come back, anyone think Willis is NHL ready? If so, he could slide into Walker's position and he'll be cheap. This could work, if Hedican does retire, we can have Willis for cheap and put money towards a decent defenseman and 3rd line center.

Currently and from talks we have the current D:

Gleason, Wallin, Commodore, Kaberle, Seidenberg, Hedican and Hutch (all under contract)

Babchuk and Wesley (need contract)

Babchuk will either be traded or will stay in Russia. Wesley is getting a contract. That will leave us with 8 defenseman. Unless Hedican decides to retire, JR probably won't go after a FA d-man. He could work out a trade, but what we'll have for trade bait (Hutch, Seidenberg, Letowski) probably won't get him a quality d-man.

I'm ready for July so we can start seeing what type of team were gonna have come training camp.

I certainly think Shane Willis is atleast ready for fourth-line duties, possibly more.

I would enter training camp with these lines:

Cory Stillman / Eric Staal / Erik Cole

Ray Whitney / Rod Brind'Amour / Justin Williams

Andrew Ladd / Free Agent / Craig Adams

Trevor Letowski / Chad LaRose / Shane Willis

I think you have to give Cory Stillman a fair opportunity to return to his pre-injury form. Ladd and Adams centered by a player who can make all the right passes could be one of the best third-lines in the NHL. Letowski / LaRose / Willis would have the speed to give any team fits. We save a little money as well, just move Craig Adams to the third line and eliminate the need for an additional third-line forward in free agency. Make a few changes if necessary, but I think that is a solid enough roster to start.

I certainly think Shane Willis is atleast ready for fourth-line duties, possibly more.

I would enter training camp with these lines:

Cory Stillman / Eric Staal / Erik Cole

Ray Whitney / Rod Brind'Amour / Justin Williams

Andrew Ladd / Free Agent / Craig Adams

Trevor Letowski / Chad LaRose / Shane Willis

I think you have to give Cory Stillman a fair opportunity to return to his pre-injury form. Ladd and Adams centered by a player who can make all the right passes could be one of the best third-lines in the NHL. Letowski / LaRose / Willis would have the speed to give any team fits. We save a little money as well, just move Craig Adams to the third line and eliminate the need for an additional third-line forward in free agency. Make a few changes if necessary, but I think that is a solid enough roster to start.

Good lines. I may switch Chad and Craig though and move Letowski to center the 4th. Only reason I say this is because the organization feels that Chad can become a scorer in this league and seem more apt to move Chad up. But I would be fine with either Chad or Craig up on the 3rd line.

those lines arent bad at all but i still say if Ladd doesnt have a breakout season he is done at the end of the season or trade deadline in 07. 10 goals and 10 assists a year isnt gonna get you on the 1st line. And actually i like Ladd he has great size for his age, just needs to work hard and hopefully will be a 20 or 30 goal scorer.

those lines arent bad at all but i still say if Ladd doesnt have a breakout season he is done at the end of the season or trade deadline in 07. 10 goals and 10 assists a year isnt gonna get you on the 1st line. And actually i like Ladd he has great size for his age, just needs to work hard and hopefully will be a 20 or 30 goal scorer.

If you really believe that then you don't know Ladd or this organization. Some players take a little longer to develop than others. I am hoping that your moniker has nothing to do with the "wolfpack club", if it does then it would explain your "throw him under the bus" mentality.

You also have to remember that we have yet to get a full season out of Ladd. He had the knee injury in 2005-06 this year he had appendicitis and something else got injured, can't remember if it was the knee again or something else.

The last months of the season he was finally 100% healthy and you could see his potential. If we can keep him healthy this season, I don't see any reason why he won't be that player that he was drafted to be. All the injuries he's had has kept him from playing games consistently. Get the kid to play continuously and on the sameline instead of shuffling him from line to line and in and out of the lineup, he can be a great player for us.

If you really believe that then you don't know Ladd or this organization. Some players take a little longer to develop than others. I am hoping that your moniker has nothing to do with the "wolfpack club", if it does then it would explain your "throw him under the bus" mentality.

I am not saying i want him traded i am just hoping he plays better, geez, somebody needs a drink. and like i said about Ladd he just needs to WORK HARD AND HOPEFULLY WILL BE A 20 OR 30 GOAL SCORER. I am not badmouthing the guy. I also agree with you colesylarosefan he does need to stay on a line and not shuffled around, back to what this post is about we need a 3rd line center.

People are right that we don't have a 3rd line C in our minors. But, it would appear that Joe Vas is that guy, based on the fact that we got him back and traded a capable forward (Belanger) to do so.

The assumption being made by many on this board is that JR wants to spend all of the cap money. He didn't spend it last year, he didn't blow it at the deadline, either; so why would he spend it all now? The man just isn't that impulsive. If the "right" (read: "perfect") player isn't available at the price he wants, he won't sign anybody.

That makes Big Joe our 3rd line C. He will get re-signed, in my opinion (I think that mainly based on our re-acquisition of him, all the positives the organization heaped on him afterwards, and the fact thet JR doesn't care what fans think of his moves).

I think an overlooked aspect of this discussion is that our 4th line needs work, too. It was great 2 years ago because of the type of players we had in that unit. Some suggestions in this thread have LaRose or Adams, or both, moving up to the 3rd line: this is a mistake. You don't arrange your lines based on seniority--it's not a "promotion" system. Certain players fit in certain places. LaRose and Adams have to stay on the 4th line--and perhaps more important than the 3rd line situation is getting them a partner who plays with as much entusiasm and skill as Kevyn Adams used to.

I think many of the Canes' problems last year had to do with the lethargy that infused the 4th line after Kevyn was dealt. The 3rd guy on that "energy" line always played as though he were insulted by being asked to hustle, forecheck, and disrupt the other team. 4th line forwards don't get many chances to score goals, and that's maybe why players who think they're "better" than that don't want to play there. LaRose and Adams love to wreak havoc out there, they like to hit even though neither is that big, and they don't seem to care about how many points they have. If we can find one more forward who thinks like that (maybe Aucoin? Maybe Petruzalek?) then great. Otherwise, I think we have 2 lines with problems--the 3rd AND 4th. I don't think we can be too successful with a Letowski-LaRose-Adams "energy" line.