The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Overview of who's left to sign or decisions to be made

I still say JoVa won't be back. At this point, I think Tanabe has a better chance of returning then JoVa does. Here's the part talking about JoVa.

The top priority on Carolina's list is third-line center, which was a serious problem spot last season when first Eric Belanger and then Vasicek failed to fill the void left by Matt Cullen's free-agent departure last summer. Vasicek, an unrestricted free agent, may not be re-signed.

The listed centers that might be of interest was Michael Peca or Todd White. Michel Handzus was mentioned but said he may be too expensive with his injuries and such.

If we get Peca, I'll never forget the sign I saw during Game 7 of the SCF ("You can't hoist the cup with a small Peca" :lol: )

Here's the full article for further discussion if want:

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/590582.html

I'd rather have JoVa than Peca.

White's an interesting choice. He's a flexible player, and he's been known to put up some big numbers (bigger than a 3rd line center should). I wouldn't mind grabbing him.

White's an interesting choice. He's a flexible player, and he's been known to put up some big numbers (bigger than a 3rd line center should). I wouldn't mind grabbing him.

I am new here but...

I would rather keep Walker and Sidenberg. Both of these players have heart and willing to hit. JoVa started hitting some when he returned from Nasville but still does not use his size the way he should. Almost like he's scared! I also think Ladd is going to be a big asset. Here is another player that will get physical when needed. LaRose is like a fly, he is quick and gets under everone's skin he defends. Great for power plays.

Tanabe, I'm on the fence with him.

Hutchinson, I like him alot but I think he is not willing to step up and get physical and is not that strong. He can be pushed around to easily.

Just adding my 2 cents!

I am new here but...

I would rather keep Walker and Sidenberg. Both of these players have heart and willing to hit. JoVa started hitting some when he returned from Nasville but still does not use his size the way he should. Almost like he's scared! I also think Ladd is going to be a big asset. Here is another player that will get physical when needed. LaRose is like a fly, he is quick and gets under everone's skin he defends. Great for power plays.

Hutchinson, I like him alot but I think he is not willing to step up and get physical and is not that strong. He can be pushed around to easily.

Just adding my 2 cents!

The Walker decision is not up to us, he wants to check out free agency even after JR offered $2.5mil three year deal. We still might see him back but it is not up to us. He and his agent are calling this one.

I am new here but...

Just adding my 2 cents!

dITTO ON wALKER & SIDENBERG.

I am new here but...

Just adding my 2 cents!

dITTO ON wALKER & SIDENBERG.

again the decision on Walker is not up to us, he has been extended an offer for three years. the next step is his.

I'm pretty neutral on JoVa, if we can't find a better player to replace him then I certainly won't be upset if we go to camp with him on the team

Ladd .... I would not trade him. He is going to be a solid player for years to come, we need him.

Tanabe .... I thought that the guy played very good hockey over the last two months of the season, we will see on this one.

According to Mike Sundheim, Hutch is practicing at the RBC in the offseason with Whitney, Brindy, and Ward. Apperently Ward and Brindy arent leaving Raleigh in the offseason.

According to Mike Sundheim, Hutch is practicing at the RBC in the offseason with Whitney, Brindy, and Ward. Apperently Ward and Brindy arent leaving Raleigh in the offseason.

In the N&O when they resigned Ward he stated that he and Cody did not go back to Canada after the season ended. He has been here training with Friesen and Brindy. Wants to be in better condition for next season. Brindy has a home here and pretty much never leaves, may not take a trip unless he is awarded the Selke again this year.

I'm pretty neutral on JoVa, if we can't find a better player to replace him then I certainly won't be upset if we go to camp with him on the team

Ladd .... I would not trade him. He is going to be a solid player for years to come, we need him.

Tanabe .... I thought that the guy played very good hockey over the last two months of the season, we will see on this one.

I like JoVa and would like to see him stay and continue to develop but if something better comes along at a better price then i won't blame JR. I would not use Ladd as trade bait but if a special deal came along (for an Ovechkin or Malkin) then it might be worth looking at. The Tanabe decision will depend on what Hedican finds out today.

Not on the original list but also UFA's that are with Albany are Jesse Boulerice and Shane Willis. I am curious about the plans to keep those two or to send them on their way.

Since Vasicek, Carter and Walker are most likely gone, the 2008 Canes forward lines will look something like this:

Whitney/Brind'Amour/Williams

Ladd/Staal/Cole

Stillman/????/????

LaRose/Letowski/Adams

Ladd will be on at least on the third line. He was one of our best players in the last few months of the season and is a recent #4 overall pick who is just 21. The idea that Adams will not only beat him out, but that Ladd will be "gone" is ridiculous.

Ladd is going to to be the Ryan Getzlaf of 2008. Ladd scores 20 goals, Cole plays a full season and nets over 30, and Staal has an 80-90 point season, all while the Brind'Amour line keeps up the pace from last season. OK, now I'm just dreaming...or maybe not. I really think Ladd is going to break out.

Ladd or LaRose. There's always hope. :lol:

If either one decides to get the scoring touch, we may start running 4 scoring lines again, which is great. That's whats needed to get another Cup

Here's an update on the Hedican front, courtesy of N&O

Jim Rutherford described the doctor's report as "not totally negative or totally positive" and said Hedican would continue rehabilitation in hopes of playing this fall.

"I don't want Bret to be pressured into making a decision," Rutherford said Thursday. "He's been with us too long and been good for us.

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/596123.html

Personally as much as I like Bret, JR needs to give him a timeline. I would give him till June 30th. We have to know by July 1 IMHO

Jim Rutherford described the doctor's report as "not totally negative or totally positive" and said Hedican would continue rehabilitation in hopes of playing this fall.

"I don't want Bret to be pressured into making a decision," Rutherford said Thursday. "He's been with us too long and been good for us.

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/596123.html''>http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/596123.html' target="_blank">http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/596123.html[/post]

Personally as much as I like Bret, JR needs to give him a timeline. I would give him till June 30th. We have to know by July 1 IMHO

Kinda sounds like he is giving him an unofficial timeline, in a very JR kind of way. He's giving Brett respect and time to come to own realizations.

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/596123.html''>http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/596123.html' target="_blank">http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/596123.html[/post]

Kinda sounds like he is giving him an unofficial timeline, in a very JR kind of way. He's giving Brett respect and time to come to own realizations.

That is classic JR diplomacy. A purposeful message wrapped in good tidings. Basically, it's you've been such and important, loyal piece of our franchise so take your time, but I'd like to know before July 1st and being a loyal foot soldier I'd expect nothing less from you. Classic subtle nudge.

That is classic JR diplomacy. A purposeful message wrapped in good tidings. Basically, it's you've been such and important, loyal piece of our franchise so take your time, but I'd like to know before July 1st and being a loyal foot soldier I'd expect nothing less from you. Classic subtle nudge.

Somewhat to similar to the Walker situation. Any public comments JR has made seem to say "you know we want you back and we're willing to wait for a period of time, but don't be surprised if we go to plan B if the right situation arises."

Somewhat to similar to the Walker situation. Any public comments JR has made seem to say "you know we want you back and we're willing to wait for a period of time, but don't be surprised if we go to plan B if the right situation arises."

I agree. He's the master of doublespeak but it comes across very sincerely.

I don't have any inside info but I think that if Hedican retires, they might come back to Walker and say we'll meet you halfway and offer $2.25 million/year. Reportedly the first offer was $2.5 million for 2 years. Or since Brind'Amour's salary is on downward sliding scale in the final years why not Walker's? Take the first two-year offer and add the third year at $2 million. That's still $7 million over 3 years which is a nice bump over $1.5 million/year. With Raleigh having one of the lower cost of living indexes among NHL cities, the differences would be a wash compared to some other markets.

I have to admit to giving a curse when I read of that danged Colorado orthopod's report on Bret's hip. Talk about saying a lot of NOTHING. GRRRR. I hope no one actually paid MONEY for that "professional" opinion. Geez.

It throws everything back on Bret (has that doctor been reading JR's book on managerial diplomacy???) and it would SEEM that all the doublespeak/between-the-lines/wink-wink/whistle-and-look-to-the-clouds that is going on points to ...... Bret, we gratefully and completely acknowledge your long and impressive history in the NHL and would never deign to step in and tell YOU how your body feels or what you can make it do but..... bow out gracefully and retire.

Just sayin'....

I doubt very seriously Hedican retires without trying and that JR lets him go without him trying.

JR was willing to give Jason Allison a chance...has given Gary Roberts a chance...gave Tanabe a chance.......

We need someone who can play all season.....we need SOMEONE different on this D. The D sucked last year but for some reason a 3rd line center is more on everyones radar then our D...kinda baffles me but ok. Baffles me more is we have so far signed the entire D corps that allowed Cam Ward to almost have a 3.00 GAA...

Got a real headache looking at our team right now when it comes to our D.

Agreed.

What's the bigger problem? Not having a defenseman who scored 30 points or not having a third-line center who scored 20 goals? Obviously the defenseman, because there are several other forwards who can score 20 goals.

This whole "charge for the third-line center" is due to the media's season-long borderline obsession with former players. They can't complain about letting go some great offensive defenseman from 05-06 go because that player never existed.

I guarantee people will be upset when said new third-line center comes in and scores 15 goals and continue to moan about Matt frickin' Cullen. Well guess what, Matt Cullen is going on 31 years old and has scored 20 goals exactly one time (coincidentally that season was in the pond hockey-esque first year of the "new NHL" where half the game was spent on the powerplay).

I'd rather bring in a good offensive defenseman and have Vasicek center the third-line than bring in Todd White and continue to put defensemen on the points who have never scored more than 3 powerplay goals in a single season.

Here's a list of teams and their highest scoring defenseman in terms of powerplay points this season:

1. Montreal - Souray (48)

2. Pittsburgh - Gonchar (48)

3. Dallas - Zubov (40)

4. Tampa - Boyle (37)

5. Anaheim - Pronger (36)

6. Toronto - McCabe (34)

7. Los Angeles - Visnovsky (33)

8. Detroit - Lidstrom (33)

9. NY Islanders - Poti (32)

10. Calgary - Phaneuf (31)

11. New Jersey - Rafalski (30)

12. Colorado - Liles (28)

13. Nahsville - Timonen (26)

14. Boston - Chara (26)

15. San Jose - Carle (26)

16. Columbus - Hainsey (23)

17. NY Rangers - Rozsival (20)

18. Florida - Salei (20)

19. Vancouver - Bieksa (19)

20. Ottawa - Redden (19)

21. Philadelphia - Pitkanen (18)

22. Washington - Pothier (15)

23. Atlanta - Zhitnik (14)

24. Phoenix - Michalek (14)

25. Minnesota - Nummelin (13)

26. Buffalo - Numminen (12)

27. St. Louis - Brewer (8)

28. Carolina - Hutchinson (8)

29. Chicago - Aucoin (6)

30. Edmonton - Tjarnqvist (6)

Kaberle's career high in powerplay points is 18 (set in '03-'04).

I know we are looking for Defensemen and I may be way out of line but one new star I am very impressed with is DION PHANEUF. What is his story and would it be possible to lure him our way?

Another good defenseman that is making his way up through the ranks is SHEA WEBER. Might be a good fit here.

Just some thoughts and would like your opinions!

Thanks!

I know we are looking for Defensemen and I may be way out of line but one new star I am very impressed with is DION PHANEUF. What is his story and would it be possible to lure him our way?

Another good defenseman that is making his way up through the ranks is SHEA WEBER. Might be a good fit here.

Just some thoughts and would like your opinions!

Thanks!

Let's be serious here, Phaneuf is to Calgary what Staal is to us...a franchise player. He's not getting traded. Weber is better than Phaneuf and he's not going anywhere either.