The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
carolina_kat

Players for upcoming draft

I would go with either Esposito or Gagner.Angelo showed good leadership skills at a young age and just seems to keep geting better but Sam has some SICK moves and great scoring ability so for me its a toss up between those 2.

Sam Gagner won't drop to 11th. I'd like to take Nick Petrecki, big tough defenseman who could be available at that point. Might be interested in taking a forward, in which case Esposito looks good, but I think given the age of our defensemen in comparison to our forward core a defenseman is our biggest need. In the second round if we can somehow trade for a pick I'd like to take the risk of drafting Akim Aliu. Could be high reward if he pays off.

Love the Internet. Found this video the NHL made about Ellerby (click view video). You can also listen to a radio interview with him. His favorite player is Pronger and he tries to mimic his style of play.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/keaton_ellerby''>http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/keaton_ellerby' target="_blank">http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/keaton_ellerby[/post]

Has anyone gotten their Draft issue of Hockey News ? I let my subscription lapse and started to get them back in the last month.

Just wondering.

looks like ellerby could put on a few pounds, but i wouldnt mind getting any of those players. i also think we should draft primarily in the Defensive department

Petrecki! He's big and mean! Who doesn't want a guy like that? This is my favorite part:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/4903' target="_blank">Petrecki is a classic American defenseman. He is has good size, he hits very hard, and he has a very heavy shot.[/post]

I'll take two!

The guy I'd like to see us take a chance on in the second round if we can somehow grab a pick is Akim Aliu. Like I said before he's one of those high risk/high reward guys. He's a real wildcard. The kid is big and extremely skilled. Good physical presence, solid defensively and will backcheck. He's a great skater..very strong. He won fastest skater at the chl top prospects skills competition and picked up two assists in the game. You may be wondering why a guy like this would be available in the 2nd round. Most people think he's a head case. You've probably heard the story of how he refused to take part in a hazing ritual that Steve Downie and several other veteran players tried to get him to participate in when he was a member of the Windsor Spitfires. He became alienated from the team and was traded to the Sudbury Wolves. To me, I don't see a problem with that. I can honestly say I'm very impressed and proud of his actions. He knew of the consequences but still stood up to the vets and did the right thing. If that "problem" allows him to slip into the second round I want him wearing a canes jersey.

If we could somehow come out of the draft with those two I would be overjoyed.

Sam Gagner won't drop to 11th. I'd like to take Nick Petrecki, big tough defenseman who could be available at that point. Might be interested in taking a forward, in which case Esposito looks good, but I think given the age of our defensemen in comparison to our forward core a defenseman is our biggest need. In the second round if we can somehow trade for a pick I'd like to take the risk of drafting Akim Aliu. Could be high reward if he pays off.

i completely agree with everything here. i wanted petrecki since i got my favorite hockey news issue of the year, the draft special. reports say he would be in the top 5 had he played in a more challenging league. heres an idea..

we send our 11th overall and babchuk and maybe a 5th rounder for a pick around 16th overall and a mid 2nd rounder. could we pull that off?

A mock draft has us getting David Perron a left wing

Profile:

6-0; 185 lbs

Is a power forward that is strong on his skates, protects the puck well and has good first step quickness. Has a strong physical presence that is effective in front of the net, and is able to create space for his teammates. He needs to improve on the consistency of his effort on a nightly basis.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2007

They got Gagner going 7th to Columbus and Esposito going 9th to St Louis.

I should print this out and see how close they actually are.

We already have a guy like Perron and he's a few years ahead in terms of development. That's a pretty poor mock draft, mustn't have really looked at team needs.

Personally, I hope we trade down instead of up. We won't find anyone at #11 that can make an instant impact, so we might as well trade back and acquire an additional late first-round or early second-round pick. There we can address the future at forward and defense. If I were J.R., I'd attempt to trade all of our additional defensemen for draft picks. Our minor league system needs all the help it can get.

We don't need to move our 1st rounder to acquire a 2nd. Babchuk and a third could possibly do it. If there are no takers because of his childish behavior this past year then we could replace him with one of our many goalie prospects. You're right, there is no one who will step in right now and help immediately but just because that happens once in a while doesn't mean it's the purpose of drafting. That's not what you're looking for. The point of drafting is development so you still want the best player possible. I really don't think we should trade down.

Don't know if this has been posted but Versus will be televising the draft, 1st round only, June 22nd 7-10:30pm.

Must be a slow time for bull riding and sport fishing:lol:

Don't know if this has been posted but Versus will be televising the draft, 1st round only, June 22nd 7-10:30pm.

We don't need to move our 1st rounder to acquire a 2nd. Babchuk and a third could possibly do it. If there are no takers because of his childish behavior this past year then we could replace him with one of our many goalie prospects. You're right, there is no one who will step in right now and help immediately but just because that happens once in a while doesn't mean it's the purpose of drafting. That's not what you're looking for. The point of drafting is development so you still want the best player possible. I really don't think we should trade down.

My point is that we won't find a player at #11 that is any more prepared for the NHL than someone we could find a few spots back. If we can trade #11 for maybe Edmonton's #15 and #30, we now have the opportunity to draft two solid prospects instead of one. We would have to hope that Edmonton or someone else falls in love with a prospect available at #11, but I don't see any problem with a trade down.

I wouldn't give up another draft pick to move up, because we need quality and quantity in this draft. We need more prospects in Albany and we need more junior players to replace the junior prospects we move up to Albany.

My point is that we won't find a player at #11 that is any more prepared for the NHL than someone we could find a few spots back.

And my point is that while they may not be more prepared for the nhl at the time they are probably going to be a better player in the long run which is why they're going in the top half of the first round. We're not looking for someone to step in now, we're looking for the guy with the highest upside and that's a hell of a lot more likely to be found with the eleventh overall pick than late in the round.

There is a whole article on the canes website about the draft and it lists the players the organization is looking at and what they think about these players.

Here is the list in no particular order:

Angelo Esposito - Center

David Perron - LW

Kevin Shattenkirk - D

Thomas Hickey - D

Max Pacioretty - LW

Brett MacLean - LW

Alexei Cherapanov - RW

Here's the link:

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?servic...rticleid=318349

Yep, but the big question is will it REALLY be on or will we all tune in to watch kick boxing again.

Brett MacLean - LW

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does he already play for the Avs? Pretty sure he plays Center for Colorado.

There must be 2 Brett MacLeans. The Brett the AVs have is 27, this kid is 19.

Here's what the Canes website has on him:

Brett MacLean

LW - 6

Yep, but the big question is will it REALLY be on or will we all tune in to watch kick boxing again.

Lets just say that I'm staying cautiously optimistic, but won't believe it till I actually see it ;)

Lets just say that I'm staying cautiously optimistic, but won't believe it till I actually see it ;)