The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CamWardFan30

Scott Walker agrees to 3 year deal

Or this!

Man, I'm glad we're keeping him! :D

WOW!! I remember the fight against Witt, but I don't remember that one! He took on a guy who was like 6 inches taller (I'm trying to remember what the video said so that may not be it).

That was the game we were down like 3 nothing. Scottie beats the leaving crap out of Alberts and after that Whitney gets a hat trick in 1 min 20 secs. :D

Canes ended up winning that game and frustrated the hell out of Tim Thomas. It was a great game and an awesome fight.

Or this!

Man, I'm glad we're keeping him! :D

WOW!! I remember the fight against Witt, but I don't remember that one! He took on a guy who was like 6 inches taller (I'm trying to remember what the video said so that may not be it).

Isn't this the one that he broke his hand? :unsure: Be careful this season Scotty!! Watch out for those visors.

Yeah, when he went off after the fight, I believe Forslund and Tripp were discussing the possibility of a broken hand. Good thing it wasn't that serious though.

But that's why we need Walker back. If the Canes are down, it's really hard to get them back in their groove. Walker's fists have proven themselves capable of doing that.

Yeah, when he went off after the fight, I believe Forslund and Tripp were discussing the possibility of a broken hand. Good thing it wasn't that serious though.

But that's why we need Walker back. If the Canes are down, it's really hard to get them back in their groove. Walker's fists have proven themselves capable of doing that.

yep, i remember Luke DeCrotch writing that Walker may have injured his hand from "over use on the opponents face".

Scott Walker is one of those players that gives your team and fans a feeling like he will always have our backs. He brings to the game winning or losing "don't mess with us or you'll wish I had not been there to see it". Being a layman hockey fan, this is what I think our team needs to rally us up in good and bad times, it always did for me last season, win or lose. Hearing what Brindy said about what he brings to the locker room with his sense of humor , helps his team mates get through a long season together. He is definitely worth the money for the fans as well as team mates.

Here's the write-up in the N&O. Kudos to Wallin, Adams, Williams and Freisen for keeping Scotties phone ringing

The Carolina Hurricanes have re-signed Scott Walker, the team announced Wednesday, 12 days before the veteran winger would have hit the open market as a free agent.

The three-year, $7.5 million contract delivers almost a seven-figure bump in annual pay for Walker, who earned $1,520,000 this past season.

An off-season trade acquisition after Carolina won the 2006 Stanley Cup, the former Nashville Predator finished sixth on the Canes in scoring with 21 goals and 30 assists this past season.

Negotiations stalled in April, but Walker continued to field a stream of phone calls from Carolina trainer Pete Friesen and players such as Niclas Wallin, Craig Adams and Justin Williams.

The phone calls from teammates hoping for his return helped settle matters for Walker, who will turn 34 on July 19. Perhaps more important was the potential Walker said he sees in a team that followed its Cup title by failing to make the playoffs the next season.

"That was a big part of why I signed," Walker said, calling from a charity golf tournament in Niagara Falls, N.Y. "As a veteran player, winning now takes on even more importance, and this team is definitely set up to do that.

"I wanted to be on a team that has a chance to win every year."

Walker gives the Hurricanes 21 players under contract for next season, with a payroll of $41.7 million. That leaves Carolina roughly $2.3 million to spend to complete the roster under owner Peter Karmanos' $44 million budget.

Priorities include landing a free-agent third-line center to replace Josef Vasicek, whom the Canes chose not to re-sign, and general manager Jim Rutherford said he has not ruled out further moves.

"I don't think you can just look at it as who we have signed and what there is in our budget, because you can get creative," Rutherford said.

He said the Hurricanes are looking to land a center who can contribute 50 to 60 points.

"And then we may look at changing our defense a little bit," he said. "... Maybe we could add a puck-moving defenseman and maybe kind of change our style there a little bit."

Excellent to hear/read - thanks for posting that here, colesy!

Well folks, yet another classy player who will continue to grace our roster for another 3 years. Hang on tight, kids, our boyz are gonna be makin' some serious noize this coming season!!

Woooooooooooooooooooo! Thanks for staying, Scotty.

Here's some more quotes from Scottie:

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Scott Walker passed on free agency and will return to Carolina after agreeing to a US$7.5-million, three-year contract with the Hurricanes on Wednesday.

Walker, a rugged right winger who could have become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, will make $2.5 million a season. Entering his 13th NHL season in 2007-08, he becomes the latest key player to re-sign with the Hurricanes.

"It was one of the best experiences that I had in renegotiating. I felt really wanted," Walker said. "I like my role, but I also like the way the team is set up for the future, and I think we have a chance to win."

Carolina acquired the 33-year-old Walker last summer in the deal that sent centre Josef Vasicek to Nashville. He fit in immediately with the Hurricanes, ending the season sixth on the team with 21 goals and 30 assists. He had 45 penalty minutes in 81 games, adding toughness to a roster built primarily around speed.

"Keeping Scott in Carolina was one of our top priorities this off-season," general manager Jim Rutherford said. "He brings skill and grit to our forward lines and he has become one of our team's leaders on and off the ice."

Carolina has invested more than $27 million in bringing back several key players from a team that failed to make the playoffs one year after winning the franchise's first Stanley Cup in 2006.

After their disappointing regular season, the Hurricanes signed three players to three-year deals: left-winger Ray Whitney ($10.5 million), goalie Cam Ward ($8 million) and Walker, who made $1.5 million last season. They also signed defenseman Glen Wesley, heading into his 20th season in the NHL, to a one-year, $1.4 million deal.

"This team is a good young team and a bunch of good guys, so it was pretty easy to fit in," Walker said. "I watched a lot and learned a lot from those guys - even the younger guys, because they won the Stanley Cup. They taught me a lot, but I also appreciated learning from (captain Rod Brind'Amour) and Glen Wesley and how older guys take care of themselves and train to be better."

I love reading what the players have to say and it sounds like JR really let him know that he is wanted. Its great to know that players actually want to be here, even the ex-players (Bates, Vasichek) that would do anything to be back here. I think JR and the organization does a great job with this team and making each player feel important whether your Staal or little ol LaRose.

There was a comment on XM this morning when they were talking about Scottie signing and they said how he was Nashville's best player, but he is really happy being a Cane. :)

I think this deal is gona make us a playoff team, the boys werent healthy to start the season and that kept going down hill, everybody will be rested and ready to go and plus now that scottie has played a year with the team they know his style better and I think he'll be more productive this year than last. Scottie just brings that toughness and he'll stick up for EVERY ONE OF HIS TEAMATES. Leader on and off the ice. This was huge and Im just happy he decided to come back. We''ll be lookin to take back what is OURS next season and I cant wait!!!

The http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/612833.html' target="_blank">N&O (in the Tailwinds part at the bottom)[/post] points out that Walker's contract also includes a no trade clause.

I wonder if that was a sticking point or if it was there from the begining?

Signing all these old guys to long term and/or no trade contracts...I hope Wally can rig some skates on wheelchairs if needed... :rolleyes: