The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bmb2jn

How does it feel?

We all know that bmb2jn had good intentions with this thread and that he's been a great sport with all the anti Sabre posts around here too. Sorry that some idiot had to go over and start that crap on the Sabre board. That's not what we want representing us on other boards.

Lets get back on topic (colesylarose, you again!!!) and move on.

Living in NC and loving both the Sabres and the Hurricanes I thought I would weigh in on the topic.

I was NOT embarressed by the Canes this year. So they didn't repeat, THEY won it and my HOME team did not. I got to live a dream through my son when we were front row for the parade around the RBC center and he "high-fived" his favorite players. Since Buffalo has never won the cup, for me to be about 3 feet away (I never touched it, SABRES fans) was a dream come true.

I was more sad then anything that these teams couldn't meet up in the playoffs because that was one of the GREATEST series I have ever seen in my 30 odd years of following hockey. For two teams to go 7 games down to the final 10 min with NO CLEAR WINNER----PRICELESS!

Some of the games we went to were less than steller performances but we kept coming back. Thats LIFE! you win some, you lose some, but you always come back to try again.

Not making the playoffs after winning the Cup has only left me waiting and wanting more. I am excited and anxious for the new season to start. I am probably the only IDIOT at the RBC in a SABRES jersey rooting for the Canes (unless they are playing the SABRES!!!). So if you see a tall bald headed guy in a Sabres jersey with his son in a Canes jersey and his wife in a Pens jersey at the game don't see a team see us as HOCKEY fans who love our "HOME" teams but are also CANES fans.

John

So if you see a tall bald headed guy in a Sabres jersey with his son in a Canes jersey and his wife in a Pens jersey at the game don't see a team see us as HOCKEY fans who love our "HOME" teams but are also CANES fans.

John

Wow, that's what I call a diverse family. You guys must have some great discussions (arguments) during the season.

:lol:

So if you see a tall bald headed guy in a Sabres jersey with his son in a Canes jersey and his wife in a Pens jersey at the game don't see a team see us as HOCKEY fans who love our "HOME" teams but are also CANES fans.

John

Wow, that's what I call a diverse family. You guys must have some great discussions (arguments) during the season.

:lol:

As long as the Sabres win the house is HAPPY!!!

JK (it's the Pens ;) )

John

Of course I was disapointed we didnt make the playoffs.But hey,we got a stanley cup the year before it makes up for it.as far as this new year coming we need to do something on defence...

We won the cup, thats all that matters who cares if we didnt make it last year it was only by like 3 points its not like we had no chance. Sabres 1970, how can you be a Carolina and Buffalo fan??? Is that even leagal??? Thats like being a Carolina and Duke fan, I just dont think its allowed.

Although this year's Sabres accomplished more I TRULEY BELIEVE that last year's Sabres was way better. Again I'm not saying that you guys don't deserve the Stanley Cup but I think Buffalo probally would've won if it wasn't for all those injuries. (sorry guys).

GO SABRES

I don't want to haggle over a few words but I'd like to clear up some misconceptions of revisionist historians.

Last years "Lucky" Hurricanes led the NHL regular season in total points longer then any other single team. Yes they ended up 3rd in the Presidents cup race, but last years "Lucky" team hovered at the top of the NHL the entire year. In fact it can easily be argued the only thing that kept the Canes from winning the 06 Presidents cup was the loss of one of the best power forwards in the 2006 season to a broken neck.

Now perhaps the 1-3 record the Sabres carried into last years playoffs VS the Canes (Regular Season) which added to the 3-4 record in the playoffs to give the Sabres a 4 Wins 7 Losses showing VS the Canes in 2005/6 was what your referencing.

The Sabres looked good last year, and had terrible injuries last year, I will give you that. But it's getting a little old, even from well meaning posters to read how the Sabres shoulda, coulda, outta had beat us in 2006. If you remove the last game of the year we were resting people, the Sabres coulda' have went 0-4 VS the Canes in the 05-06 regular season.

The outcome of the 06 Stanley Cup was what the REGULAR SEASON showed. Carolina had the best team on ice, when Erik Cole played and for the Marjority of the 05-06 season.

Sabres 1970, how can you be a Carolina and Buffalo fan??? Is that even leagal??? Thats like being a Carolina and Duke fan, I just dont think its allowed.

Born and raised in Buffalo, now make my home in F-V, NC. Just because I moved away dosen't mean I don't like the Sabres anymore. I have been following them for over 30 yrs. both good times and bad. I have been following my new "home town team" for the last 2 yrs. My son was born in NC and his "home team" is the Canes. I am just happy he loves hockey as much as his mother and I, and we can go to 25-30 games a year!

P.S. you weren't serious about it being leagal were you? I know about the Carolina/Duke rivalry since I work for Duke.

John

All right I'm sorry for the attack.

Anyhow now for my opinion. IF the Sabres win the cup in 2008 and doesn't make the playoffs in 2009 it would not bother me at all. Eventually over time I'd want the cup again but I would die a happy man if we won the Stanley Cup ONCE. Some Sabre fans would be dissapointed but most Sabre fans wouldn't mind just having ONE cup.

Another thing.

The fans might not be embarrased but the team is. Eric Cole said it himself "we are completley frustrated as a team, embarrased."

I guess it's from the athletes point of view that they must always win. Look at Tom Brady. He has won the Super Bowl 3 times in the last 2 years when the Patriots lost to the Broncos and Colts it looked like he was about to cry.

To answer the original question, It feels great!! Our name will always be on the cup and associated with the cup. When they have the trivia question "Who was the only team to lose consecutive ECF's in the modern era?", it won't be "Carolina Hurricanes".

Although this year's Sabres accomplished more I TRULEY BELIEVE that last year's Sabres was way better. Again I'm not saying that you guys don't deserve the Stanley Cup but I think Buffalo probally would've won if it wasn't for all those injuries. (sorry guys).

GO SABRES

I don't want to haggle over a few words but I'd like to clear up some misconceptions of revisionist historians.

Last years "Lucky" Hurricanes led the NHL regular season in total points longer then any other single team. Yes they ended up 3rd in the Presidents cup race, but last years "Lucky" team hovered at the top of the NHL the entire year. In fact it can easily be argued the only thing that kept the Canes from winning the 06 Presidents cup was the loss of one of the best power forwards in the 2006 season to a broken neck.

Now perhaps the 1-3 record the Sabres carried into last years playoffs VS the Canes (Regular Season) which added to the 3-4 record in the playoffs to give the Sabres a 4 Wins 7 Losses showing VS the Canes in 2005/6 was what your referencing.

The Sabres looked good last year, and had terrible injuries last year, I will give you that. But it's getting a little old, even from well meaning posters to read how the Sabres shoulda, coulda, outta had beat us in 2006. If you remove the last game of the year we were resting people, the Sabres coulda' have went 0-4 VS the Canes in the 05-06 regular season.

The outcome of the 06 Stanley Cup was what the REGULAR SEASON showed. Carolina had the best team on ice, when Erik Cole played and for the Marjority of the 05-06 season.

Ottawa owned us in last year's regular season. In the first 3 games they beat us by a combined score of 21-5. But we beat them in 5 in the playoffs. So the regular season results means nothing.

We were evenley matched last season. Both our teams looked so much alike. The bottom line is in game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals, you were missing 1 player and we were missing 5. And yet we were winning 2-1 by the 2nd intermission.

ERIK COLE is good but do you seriously think he is better then, TIM CONNOLLY, DMITRI KALININ, TEPPO NUMMINEM, HENRIK TALLINDER & JAY MCKEE PUT TOGETHER?????

I'm sorry for bringing this up. I know this argument is old and you're tired of hearing it, but I am stating my opinion. I still believe Buffalo was the better team last year.

Like I said YOU DESERVE THE CUP. If any team won the cup due to injuries or a BS call no fan would say "we don't deserve it guys so we shouldn't celebrate." You won, you celebrated, YOU HAD THE RIGHT TOO.

I'm sorry for bringing this up. I know this argument is old and you're tired of hearing it, but I am stating my opinion. I still believe Buffalo was the better team last year.

If Buffalo was the better team then they would have won, period. The canes were the better team by a slight margin. What was the slight margin that made them better, the veteran leadership. We had guys like Brindy, Wesley, Weight, Recchi that were able to lead the team, calm the younger, less experienced guys down. Who was the guy that got the GWG, Brind'Amour, a vet, a leader.

Canes were the better team, they won. End of story.

ERIK COLE is good but do you seriously think he is better then, TIM CONNOLLY, DMITRI KALININ, TEPPO NUMMINEM, HENRIK TALLINDER & JAY MCKEE PUT TOGETHER?????

Not wanting to go too off-topic or create some sort of tumultuous argument, in many ways I do think Cole is better than all of them put together. Although a team of one Cole would definitely lose to a team of all of the above, it's not like they'd all be on the ice focusing solely on Cole at the exact same time. Cole has a way of changing a game like no other player in the league does. Ask any Canes fans about how Cole can rocket past four defensemen or even skate through them if need be. The Sabres, even back when they had McKee, Grier, and Dumont, don't match up well physically against any team. Cole's speed and physicality absolutely tears through soft players. All of the players you listed are good players and fit in well to Buffalo's system, but none of them are really game-changing players. Cole is.

Okay, my rant's over.

Actually, the Tim Connolly of last season WAS a game changing player. But whatever, this "debate" has gone on for far too long, no sense of me stretching it out ever farther.

This has now turned into another Buffalo vs Canes thread and I was under the impression we were finally getting past all that. One more chance to keep this ON TOPIC or it gets locked.

This has now turned into another Buffalo vs Canes thread and I was under the impression we were finally getting past all that. One more chance to keep this ON TOPIC or it gets locked.

I'm thinking that a lot of us would agree with Ray Whitney who, when asked in an interview about the Cup season vs this past season, emphatically noted that he would not have given up the Cup winning season for anything to improve this past season. Winning the Cup is what all hockey players dream of doing .. and I would presume that serious fans of any team start every season with hope in their hearts for the same glorious outcome.

We have our memories of the win in '07... would we give up that win for a chance at the playoffs this year? Don't sign me up to give up our Cup win !!!! As far as I'm concerned, this past season is over and done with and I've moved on. I"m getting more and more excited about the 07-08 season as each day passes that brings us closer to its opening day. I'm moving forward INTO THE LIGHT (!) not investing a whole lot of brain time in contemplating the order of last year's universe except to celebrate that Teemu Selanne will now have his name etched on the Cup, as well. Otherwise, that season is over and out.

Do you think they will be able to fit Chad's entire new appelation on the back of his jersey this year?

I refer, of course to: THE LEGENDARY CHAD LA ROSE

:D

I await the day that LaRose eventually meets your unbelievabley high expectations of him. :lol:

Because when that happens, he's earning the Conn Smythe.

nhl_g_brindamour_205.jpg

I would rather win the stanley cup and miss the playoffs the next season, than lose in the ECF 2 years in a row, becuse bottomline, we won the stanley cup

now let me ask you a question.....

Stanley Cup Victories: Carolina Hurricanes 1 Buffalo Sabres 0

How does it feel !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking that a lot of us would agree with Ray Whitney who, when asked in an interview about the Cup season vs this past season, emphatically noted that he would not have given up the Cup winning season for anything to improve this past season. Winning the Cup is what all hockey players dream of doing .. and I would presume that serious fans of any team start every season with hope in their hearts for the same glorious outcome.

We have our memories of the win in '07... would we give up that win for a chance at the playoffs this year? Don't sign me up to give up our Cup win !!!! As far as I'm concerned, this past season is over and done with and I've moved on. I"m getting more and more excited about the 07-08 season as each day passes that brings us closer to its opening day. I'm moving forward INTO THE LIGHT (!) not investing a whole lot of brain time in contemplating the order of last year's universe except to celebrate that Teemu Selanne will now have his name etched on the Cup, as well. Otherwise, that season is over and out.

Do you think they will be able to fit Chad's entire new appelation on the back of his jersey this year?

I refer, of course to: THE LEGENDARY CHAD LA ROSE

:D

the win was in '06 not '07 Irish! Ducks won '07

I think she was referring to the OT win against Florida this year where Brindy scored with 24 seconds left on that breakaway. Great game, but I'd take a Stanley Cup any day over it.

Yep, I agree. Don't think Buffalo fans understand that though. History will not remember who won the president's trophy or had the most insane goalie (other than the occasional highlight reel). They only remember who won the Stanley Cup and in '06 it was the Carolina Hurricanes.

nhl_g_brindamour_205.jpg

I would rather win the stanley cup and miss the playoffs the next season, than lose in the ECF 2 years in a row, becuse bottomline, we won the stanley cup

now let me ask you a question.....

Stanley Cup Victories: Carolina Hurricanes 1 Buffalo Sabres 0

How does it feel !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I take it you were the one to post that on the Sabres board.

Well to answer your question I am dissapointed and frustrated that I have yet to be in a town that has one a championship. BUT, I am proud of the Sabres. A few years ago we were bankrupt and were horrible. The Bills hasn't made the playoffs in 8 years.

But for 2 years in a row the Sabres gave me a hell of a thrill ride. Every night I would look forward to see the Sabres in action. Game 5 of the Sabres/Rangers series would go down as the greatest moment of my life as a sports fan (so far).

I realize that the Sabres need improvement. For 2 years in a row we lost to a better team (ok Canes fans I'm done arguing about injuries). I would give up Briere and Drury to add more size and grit to the team.

Also the Sabres will continue to be one of the power houses of the NHL. Even if we lose Briere and Drury we'll still have Stafford, Miller, Vanek. There will be more thrill rides. AND I GUARNTEE THAT THE SABRES WILL WIN THE CUP IN THE NEXT DECADE

GO SABRES!!!!