The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniacfromappstate

Who is this Bill Simmons and what does he have against Carolina having a hockey team?

No he doesn't have something against Carolina. If you read him he's a disolusioned Bruins fan, which I can understand, and hasn't followed the NHL since 2001, but the guy has a soft spot for drafts.

He's a self proclaimed die-hard NBA fan so that should say just about everything as to his opinion of the NHL. Plus his big thing is sarcasm, so of course its funny to refer to the canes as the whalers.

Everyone at ESPN hates the Hurricanes. Their headquarters is in Bristol, Connecticut and ESPN anchors used to attend Hartford Whalers' games. That's why Chris Berman had a Whalers' hat when he attended the Hurricanes' game last year. That's why Dan Patrick went off on Peter Karmanos on his radio show last year when we made our run to the Stanley Cup. They're bitter that "their" team won the Stanley Cup for another city.

Everyone at ESPN hates the Hurricanes. Their headquarters is in Bristol, Connecticut and ESPN anchors used to attend Hartford Whalers' games. That's why Chris Berman had a Whalers' hat when he attended the Hurricanes' game last year. That's why Dan Patrick went off on Peter Karmanos on his radio show last year when we made our run to the Stanley Cup. They're bitter that "their" team won the Stanley Cup for another city.

I think you're going a bit overboard saying they all hate the canes. I think bitter is a much better word.

But I wouldn't count Simmons, a guy from Boston who lives in LA who writes for Page 2, as the standard ESPN guy anyway. I think his reference has more to do with not caring about the NHL.

Yeah, I think most of ESPN is bitter that the Canes really got good right after leaving Hartford. It was just really convenient for them that the year they won it all was the year that ESPN stopped carrying hockey and started to bash it right and left on its shows, and who better to bash than your team which relocated to another area.

That is why Steve Levy made a parting comment about the whalers and whalers fan or something like "a whale of" after the Canes won the cup and Barry Melrose looked at him like he was a "fool" which he is.

Bill Simmons is entertainment, take him with a grain of salt. He does tons of write ups about the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry and its usually pretty funny regardless of which side you root for. Just like "the Onion" spoofs on everything, Simmons is sarcastic over pro sports.

Bill Simmons is entertainment, take him with a grain of salt. He does tons of write ups about the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry and its usually pretty funny regardless of which side you root for. Just like "the Onion" spoofs on everything, Simmons is sarcastic over pro sports.

Chris Berman was a season ticket holder pm Hartford and is still a fan of the team he was very happy after the Canes won the cup some of the others might be bitter but I dont think Berman ment any disrespected to anyone in NC just wanted to remember the past.

As far as im concerned there are only 2 sports networks that care about the NHL, CBC and TSN. Its too bad I can't watch their coverage from NC.

And on another note, ESPN should stop covering the NHL if they have an NBA fan writing about it. What happened to Berry Melrose? At least he coached before and knew hockey.

As far as im concerned there are only 2 sports networks that care about the NHL, CBC and TSN. Its too bad I can't watch their coverage from NC.

And on another note, ESPN should stop covering the NHL if they have an NBA fan writing about it. What happened to Berry Melrose? At least he coached before and knew hockey.

If you read the article he wasn't even really talking about hockey. Yes he was watching the NHL draft, but most of the comments were topical about what he was seeing on TV and have nothing to do with the sport anyway. But then again this is the same treatment he gives the NBA draft so you know maybe its a good thing he's covering it, even if it is just for fun. For once this is not an article by someone who doesn't like hockey that is totally slamming it. Just read it with a sense of humor and it will all be ok.

Anyways regardless what you think of him, I do think he has a good point about Pierre McGuire:

He's like Darren Pang after six Jack-and-Cokes.

I think bitter is a much better word.

I can think of quite a few words to describe them and most of the national commentators. unfortunately most of them would get me kicked off the board. Most of them are pretty moronic and almost all of the former players currently announcing or doing commentating are just plain egotistical and biased toward whatever teams they played for. For the most part, they are pretty painful to watch or listen to. Makes me appreciate the honest, realistic, fair coverage we get from John and Tripp.

i thought he was funny....and like everything there was at least a bit of truth in most of what he said. i had never heard someone make such fun of tsn people either....too funny.