The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Draft 2007

It remains to be seen if he will actually hit the ice for us at the Castle. There is training camp to get through.... he may end up in Albany. No matter if you're drafted or Santa drops you out of his sled down Rod's chimney, gotta earn a spot on the ice.

Still, nice to have another member of a family hockey dynasty. Good mojo.

And so did 300 tell you guys they put Wally in an orange coat? The strange news I get while on the road in the middle of the night!

I wonder what put JR off on Esposito. JR had a one on one with him, wonder what JR saw. I'm surprised that the 2 teams that talked to him the most passed.

And i feel bad for that Alexi Cheraponv (sp) kid. I know he's got that horrible Russian contract, but darn, if hes' a good player. And I think his dad has somewhere to go cause he keeps looking at his watch. :lol:

Might this be the start of an alliance between two very powerful hockey families, the Sutters and the Staals?

With the unification of these two houses, the empire will be ours! :lol:

umm why didnt we get Mc. Donagh

hes a strong "Mr. Hockey" defensmen

pretty much sums up what we need!

Hardly anyone from this draft will start off in the NHL this season, so a defenseman who could help a couple years from now isn't the best thing for us.

Might this be the start of an alliance between two very powerful hockey families, the Sutters and the Staals?

Lol thats what I was thinking! I'm happy its a Sutter cause of the bloodline thing. The guy seems nice kinda laid back so I dont think we will have that much of a problem in the locker room. Course than again you never know how somebody is off a camera.

Lol thats what I was thinking! I'm happy its a Sutter cause of the bloodline thing. The guy seems nice kinda laid back so I dont think we will have that much of a problem in the locker room. Course than again you never know how somebody is off a camera.

Which has me wonder what JR didn't like about Espo. As much as he talked to the kid I thought for sure we would have picked him. Maybe JR didn't like something about him.

"The selections of Patrick Kane and James vanRiemsdyk made history Friday as the pair became the first two American-born players selected first and second in the NHL Entry Draft."

"Chicago resisted the urge to deal and grabbed Kane, a 5-foot-9, 162-pound forward who was ranked No. 4 among North American skaters by the NHL

"The selections of Patrick Kane and James vanRiemsdyk made history Friday as the pair became the first two American-born players selected first and second in the NHL Entry Draft."

"Chicago resisted the urge to deal and grabbed Kane, a 5-foot-9, 162-pound forward who was ranked No. 4 among North American skaters by the NHL

Which has me wonder what JR didn't like about Espo. As much as he talked to the kid I thought for sure we would have picked him. Maybe JR didn't like something about him.

Notice that the Canes spent a lot of time before going to the podium. Also, it didn't look like Sutter's jersey even had his name. Something last minute happened. Possibly, the Canes didn't think Sutter would be available. Nothing against AE. The Canes had Sutter higher on the list and had to take him when he was still available.

Also, I don't think the fact that AE slipped this far is a mistake. Something is definitely up.

Those of you who wanted Espo or Cherepanov, may I ask why? The knock on them both is that they don't like contact, don't like to play defense, take shifts off, and rely on pure speed to score. Granted they do the later very well, but how are they going to react when those around them hit them, hard, and also skate as well as they do? They're exactly the opposite of the type of player the Canes have built their franchise around. From Francis to Rod, this is a work first team. There were a couple of forwards in the draft that had a legitimate shot at being available at #11 that fit that bill. We got one of them, Couture was the other. We have a franchise center (Staal) - we needed a hard working, smart hockey player who knows the game like he's been raised playing it the right way, and we got it. I sincerely doubt he'll make an impact this year, but he's precisely the type of player we've built our franchise around.

Just joining you folks and I'd thought I'd mention that I called Sutter earlier today another thread. *takes bow*

Don't know what's up with Esposito. Sutter is a real character guy that with Brind'Amour conditioning should develop nicely into solid center. Another Red Deer guy to join the fold. He needs to hit the weight room.

Just joining you folks and I'd thought I'd mention that I called Sutter earlier today another thread. *takes bow*

Don't know what's up with Esposito. Sutter is a real character guy that with Brind'Amour conditioning should develop nicely into solid center. Another Red Deer guy to join the fold. He needs to hit the weight room.

Sutter will start the Brindy work out.

I'm anxious to see this kid in spring training. I'm sure he'll go to Albany, but its nice to have someone from the Sutter family playing with our Staal.

Sutter can't play in Albany next season due to his age. It's either the NHL or the WHL.

I'm thinking he should be ready about the time Brindy's contract is up for renewal? In the mean time, he'll have a great mentor.

Sutter can't play in Albany next season due to his age. It's either the NHL or the WHL.

I'm thinking he should be ready about the time Brindy's contract is up for renewal? In the mean time, he'll have a great mentor.

There is no way the Pens are able to keep all their talent even 3 years from now...

Crosby, Staal, Malkin, Esposito, and Fleury...

thank God for the Salary Cap or they would have put together a dynasty that wouldn't have been stopped for about 10 years...

Espo to Pitt huh? Goodness, I can imagine the lineup there. Even dropping down in the draft, he's still got skill. Crosby, Staal, Malkin, Fleury, Malone, Whitney... man. Thats a Futures team, you know? No way they can keep ALL of them, but still.