The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Draft 2007

Sutter can't play in Albany next season due to his age. It's either the NHL or the WHL.

I never know all the rules. What is the age to play at the AHL level?

Espo to Pitt huh? Goodness, I can imagine the lineup there. Even dropping down in the draft, he's still got skill. Crosby, Staal, Malkin, Fleury, Malone, Whitney... man. Thats a Futures team, you know? No way they can keep ALL of them, but still.

All?

They'll be lucky to be able to keep 3, unless they wanna have 5 great players taking up 90% of their cap space...

Pretty happy with the Sutter pick. "Hitting the wall" is the only knock on him, but I think this is because he's still growing into his body (Remember E. Staal's first season?). At 20, this kid may be 6'4", 220# -- a pretty awesome 'vehicle' for someone that all the scouting reports say has a great hockey sense.

If you go by his dad, about all the strengths and hockey sense the kid is already supposed to have and add his potential size, I think the Canes made a damn good choice. He may be a couple of years down the road but hey, that's what the draft is all about.

When the draft was here, the Caniac nation was large and respectful, as I recall. In Columbus theyare booing everyone and everything...they just booed Steve Yzerman for goodness sakes. :blink:

I have to say, I'm befuddled. Shattenkirk is just what we've needed for the past year--a PP quarterback. He could have been an immediate contender for playing time. 2008/09 at the latest. We got Sutter...because? We need a 3rd line center? By the time he fills out, we won't need a 3rd line C anymore, we'll still need a doggone PP QB!

On record: I hate this pick.

You have to think long term with the picks this year. As lots of people have said before, no one from this draft is likely to be NHL ready any time soon. We could've drafted Shattenkirk, but it's quite a stretch that he would've made the team. We would've still needed a powerplay qb. Also, Sutter is not meant to fill in our need for a 3rd line center. Considering that JR calls him a good two-way player, I believe he is meant to be an eventual replacement for Brind'Amour years from now.

This year's draft is not the place to look for immediate needs. We'll be looking for a center and possibly a powerplay guy through free agency.

I have to say, I'm befuddled. Shattenkirk is just what we've needed for the past year--a PP quarterback. He could have been an immediate contender for playing time. 2008/09 at the latest. We got Sutter...because? We need a 3rd line center? By the time he fills out, we won't need a 3rd line C anymore, we'll still need a doggone PP QB!

Flanker pretty much said it. Yes, we need a PP QB now. Well, that's fine and good, except draft picks are meant to play later. Thus, Sutter is the right choice

Hi guys, just been reading through the thread. Looks like you have had fun watching the draft. The Canes Booster Club hosted an NHL draft viewing party at Blinco's tonight. Yey-that was fun! (Dogbutler, it was great to see you there, and congrats on your raffle win!) Next season, more of you should join us. (And if you haven't seen the Canes room at Blinco's on Glenwood Ave., you have a reason/excuse to head over there.) We are looking forward to watching Sutter in action at training camp, even if it is before he heads back up to Red Deer.

Hi guys, just been reading through the thread. Looks like you have had fun watching the draft. The Canes Booster Club hosted an NHL draft viewing party at Blinco's tonight. Yey-that was fun! (Dogbutler, it was great to see you there, and congrats on your raffle win!) Next season, more of you should join us. (And if you haven't seen the Canes room at Blinco's on Glenwood Ave., you have a reason/excuse to head over there.) We are looking forward to watching Sutter in action at training camp, even if it is before he heads back up to Red Deer.

Great seeing you too, marmiste!

Immediate contender for playing time? 08-09 by the latest? :unsure:

Shattenkirk is 18 years old and doesn't turn 19 until next January. Here's a list of every single 18-year old defensemen who played in the NHL this past season:

That's it. There were zero. To further prove my point, here's a list of 19 year old defensemen who played in the NHL this season:

Luc Bourdon - played 9 games and then was sent back to juniors.

Kristopher Letang - played 7 games and then was sent back to juniors.

Marc-Edouard Vlasic - played 81 games.

Here's the complete report on Sutter from TSN:

The TSN Insider's Forecast: The first reaction of many who see Brandon Sutter at No. 9 is, Say what? This is a prospect, after all, who scored only 20 goals in 71 games and chalked up a mere 54 penalty minutes, which some would say is anything but Sutter-like. But those who think the son of Brent Sutter is riding on the coattails of the family name, well, they obviously don't share the opinion of this scout. "Brandon Sutter has a chance to be the most complete player in this draft," said the talent evaluator who has the 6-foot-3, 170-pounder rated solidly in the top 10. And that scout is not alone. A few others have him as a top 10 possibility, although the projections for this player are all over the map, everything from top 10 to teens to the 20s. The knock is that Sutter possesses limited offensive ability, that he's only going to project out as a third or fourth-line player. But not everyone is convinced of that. Some scouts note that Sutter's greatest attributes are his smarts, his ability to play in any situation, be it the point on the power, penalty killing, taking key faceoffs, you name it. "Understands the game better than anyone in the draft," said another scout. On the issue of offensive potential, Sutter has 17 goals in the first half of the season but hit the wall in the second half and scored only two. "His problem is his strength, or lack of it," a scout said. "That hurts his skating, he wore down so much over the season. He was just worn out. When he gets stronger, and he will, he's going to be a big time player. I don't buy he can't score, I don't buy he can't skate. He just needs to mature." The question seems to be not whether Sutter will play in the NHL, but how good he will be. Some, though, believe what you see is what you get and the offensive limitations are legitimate and that he's better suited to being a top 20, not a top 10; pick.

From NHL Central Scouting: A skilled forward that is opportunistic in the offensive end. Is very smart with the puck. Has a good work ethic and excellent puck-pursuit. Very versatile and used in all situations. Sometimes tires at the end of shift and needs to work on his conditioning. Needs to improve his one-on-one skills.

From ISS: Sutter has great bloodlines. He is coached by his father. Not a flashy player. Works hard at both ends of the rink. Makes simple but effective plays. Improvement in first couple of steps would improve skating. Is heavily relied upon in all situations. Has good size but is light. Is still dominant. With some more physically maturity, he will be able to play at next level. Well-above-average hockey sense.

Take a look at the parts in bold. Sound like anyone we know?

Flanker beat me to it, but I was going to say that one thing I heard them mention on VS. is Sutter's ability to quarterback the PP. Knowing that no one is going to make an immediate impact from this draft, it looks like JR decided to take the best player available to help in the future, not to try and fill whatever hole we may have right now. If we still have the same weaknesses 2-3 years from now, I'd be surprised.

drafting a Sutter is never a bad move.....

It really makes my blood boil whenever I hear someone call the Staal's the first big family of hockey.....these people have obviously never heard of the Sutter family.

Wow Flanker reading the bold I kept thinking Brind'Amour :)

If anyone is upset with this pick, then i'm confused on why. No pick is going to make an immediate impact. Patrick Kane might be the only one in this draft to make an NHL team and that's b/c Chicago is just desperate.

In the N&O today it had that the Canes had a chance to move down, pick after 11, but Sutter was still available and they really wanted him so JR passed on the trade and picked the kid. No wonder they took the whole allotted time, had decisions to make. And before anyone gasps, the trade was just picks for picks, JR made the right move. His dad, Brent, coached Cam Ward, and Brandon was the water boy, so Cam knows him and he also played against Ladd.

Oh and they also said that Sutter wears #12, how ironic. Staals being compared to the Sutter brothers, Staal wears 12 as do the Sutter boys. And he's an alternate captain on his Red Deer team. Hmmm, a Captain of Staal and an Alternate of Sutter in 5 years.

Here's a write-up on the Canes website:

While the Hurricanes have been interested in Sutter all along, it wasn

We interviewed nine guys and eight were very good

I wonder who the guy that wasn't very good was, Esposito? Maybe that's why they kept going back and even had JR meet with him. Just to see for sure if they wanted to pass on someone as skilled as him.

I am also cnfused why no one likes this pick. He's a good solid two-way centre. He can play PP, PK, and 5 vs 5. There were no superstars in this draft to pick so its not like they gave up a great player. Also, he probally won't play this year, but next year he could. He's mentally fit for the NHL and now he just has to fill out.

Sort of a funny aside: Drayson Bowman had a fight with Brandon Sutter in a game between the Spokane and Red Deer on 12/6/05 (according to hockeyfights.com). Unfortunately there's no video or description of who won...though Bowman likely had the more physical build at that point in time.

We seem to be developing a pattern here. Now that our fourth round pick has been used we've taken 3 centres from the WHL. Our newest addition to our prospect pool is Justin McCrae, a 6' 185lb centre from Saskatoon. Interestingly enough he played with another prospect of ours, Joe Barnes. All I can find on McCrae is that he's won some team awards for being the top defensive forward and hardest worker.