The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Draft 2007

Did anyone notice in the frozen picture that the 'canes' flag was in between the sabres and the the panthers....

I'm thinking they're in alphabetical order, look again ;)

Did anyone notice in the frozen picture that the 'canes' flag was in between the sabres and the the panthers....

I'm thinking they're in alphabetical order, look again ;)

Sort of funny how the alphabet works, isn't it... ;)

Sutter can't play in Albany next season due to his age. It's either the NHL or the WHL.

I never know all the rules. What is the age to play at the AHL level?

i think you either have to be 20 or turning 20 before some deadline during the season. sometimes they waive the rules, i think we got a waiver for Staal during the lockout so he could play with Lowell.

Not alot to get excited about in this draft. Didn't even make a trade to address the abundance of defensemen on the team. Suppose we'll just have to wait and see if the Erik Cole to Edmonton rumor has any truth to it.

Goaltender Michael Leighton. I suppose they wanted someone with NHL experience in case either Cam Ward or John Grahame were to get injured.

ah gotcha. well, yeah, it would be nice to have a goaltender with some experience behind Ward and Grahame.

Where on earth is Leighton going to play? As much as I like having a guy in the minors with nhl experience that's filling up another roster spot. Now we have Leighton, Peters, Nastiuk, Kowalski, Manzato and possibly Akerlund (don't know if he's coming over) fighting for a spot on Albany next year. Out of the prospects the only two I see with a possibility of becoming nhl goaltenders are Peters and Manzato. I don't want a guy who was on 4 different teams over the course of last season taking a spot over either of them. This signing just confuses me on so many levels. Leighton is still young and he's not that experienced so obviously they think he still has some potential so they can't stick him in the echl. All I can hope is they can work out an agreement with another team in the ahl that will let him play for them, similar to what Edmonton did last year with no farm team.

Maybe we intend to package one of our better goaltender prospects with someone else in order to move our excess defensemen. Leighton will then fill in the void.

Maybe we intend to package one of our better goaltender prospects with someone else in order to move our excess defensemen. Leighton will then fill in the void.

Very good point, Flanker. Even before acquiring Leighton I had hoped we would move a goaltending prospect or two. Your idea is a good one. Could definetely help us dump some of our excess blueliners.

So, up to round 6 now. With our 4 picks, we've taken 3 centers and a left wing. Are we THAT set for defensemen in the future?

Looks like we may not have taken a left wing afterall. I was browsing the whalers site and they have Terry listed as a centre :blink: I haven't seen him play so I wouldn't know but maybe he can play multiple forward positions. Just seems weird taking centres with four straight picks.

I'm sorry, but I just can't figure this out. I do like the sutter kid that we drafted (he's a good solid smart tough kid), but it is inexcuseable to have picked him at that point considering cherepanov (sp?) and esposito were available. I can't imagine we passed on so much offensive ability. I've been a fan dating back to the whaler days of the howe family playing, and it still can't seem to figure out what JR was thinking. I have loved JR's moves in the past, but ever since he gave jack johnson away for a bag of pucks (god, i would have fired him that day), I'm wondering now if he's the right man to head this ship.

There are rumors now of dealing cole? I like cole, but think he might be a little pricey at $4 mil per year (if that is the right number). Wouldn't it have been amazing had they picked cherepanov at 11, and then dealt cole for a package of prospects (cause we really are thin in that dept), which would have included a pick to draft esposito. Just think of where this team could have been in a few years with a base of staal, jack johnson, ward and esposito to work around. Insanity.... Maybe I need to be the GM? Please hire me.....

I'm sorry, but I just can't figure this out. I do like the sutter kid that we drafted (he's a good solid smart tough kid), but it is inexcuseable to have picked him at that point considering cherepanov (sp?) and esposito were available. I can't imagine we passed on so much offensive ability. I've been a fan dating back to the whaler days of the howe family playing, and it still can't seem to figure out what JR was thinking. I have loved JR's moves in the past, but ever since he gave jack johnson away for a bag of pucks (god, i would have fired him that day), I'm wondering now if he's the right man to head this ship.

There are rumors now of dealing cole? I like cole, but think he might be a little pricey at $4 mil per year (if that is the right number). Wouldn't it have been amazing had they picked cherepanov at 11, and then dealt cole for a package of prospects (cause we really are thin in that dept), which would have included a pick to draft esposito. Just think of where this team could have been in a few years with a base of staal, jack johnson, ward and esposito to work around. Insanity.... Maybe I need to be the GM? Please hire me.....

Jack Johnson? And how, may I ask, would you have gotten him to sign?

I'm not sure how I would have gotten Johnson to sign. Why, because I'm not sure what JR did wrong so that he wouldn't sign. Hopefully, I would have done something like LA did that enabled them to sign him. Or maybe I just would have been more patient. Or maybe I wouldn't have been able to sign him. At least what I know for sure is that I would have been more patient in my efforts to trade him, and I would have gotten a lot more for him in terms of future prospects and upside than JR got. So, the real problem here was not that we don't have johnson, it is that we don't have him and we have nothing to show for it. And in my mind, JR really needs to answer for that plus what I think is another debacle yesterday.

p.s. I hope we don't wind up only getting lupol and/or horcoff for cole.....that would be sad.....

JR was expecting St Louis to take Sutter at 9th, but then St Louis traded their pick and were now picking 13th. The Canes time came and Sutter was still available. Sutter being in the top 2 on their list, they went with him.

And you have to question why Esposito dropped as much as he did. Carolina and Montreal were the 2 teams that talked to him the most, atleast 3 times. JR even had a one on one interview with him. To have the 2 teams that seemed to be the most interested in him, not pick him. You kind of have to question why? Something must have turned both these teams off, to not pick him.

And I'm thinking this Cole trade is salary dump. I think JR realizes he doesn't have enough money to get a center and a puck moving defenseman. Totally sucks if the rumors are true about Cole.

Why does everyone think he didn't want to sign here. Most people who don't want to play somewhere will readily admit it, see John Elway, Steve Francis, JD Drew, Eli Manning. The kid said he wanted to play for Michigan and didn't feel he was ready to move up. I personally think JR got a little impatient with the kid in an effort to fix Ward and Cullen being let go, Tverdosky's bloated salary (although he was decent during the regular season), and Frank's shoulder issue. How is the JJ trade looking now? I'd say we're in the same spot. No 3rd line center, Hedican has become this seasons Tverdosky, and still looking for a PP QB, or a physical d-man.

I think you're being unfair to JR. Ever think the problem with Johnson was that he just didn't want to play here? It happens. All the patience in the world can't change that. I don't think Los Angeles did something so special that enabled them to lure him out of college when the oppurtunity to join a stanley cup contender right before the beginning of the playoffs didn't. It's also somewhat ignorant for you to say you would have gotten more for him in a trade. You or I have no idea what goes on in the dealings between gm's. If you can't sign him and other teams know that they're not going to be offering up tons of picks and prospects for him. His value had been lowered. JR took the best deal that was on the table. We attempted to replace Johnson with a similar young defenseman and only time will tell if we were successful. Don't forget he also was able to get $2.5 mil off the books for this past year as well as this coming season. What kind of team could we build next year if we still had that money tied up in Tverdovsky?

Sounds like if a deal is done, it could be a three-way deal with Carolina, Edmonton, and Philadelphia:

Carolina would receive Joni Pitkanen

Edmonton would receive Erik Cole

Philadelphia would receive Raffi Torres and draft picks.

If that is how the deal went down, I'd like it.

JR was expecting St Louis to take Sutter at 9th, but then St Louis traded their pick and were now picking 13th. The Canes time came and Sutter was still available. Sutter being in the top 2 on their list, they went with him.

And you have to question why Esposito dropped as much as he did. Carolina and Montreal were the 2 teams that talked to him the most, atleast 3 times. JR even had a one on one interview with him. To have the 2 teams that seemed to be the most interested in him, not pick him. You kind of have to question why? Something must have turned both these teams off, to not pick him.

And I'm thinking this Cole trade is salary dump. I think JR realizes he doesn't have enough money to get a center and a puck moving defenseman. Totally sucks if the rumors are true about Cole.

well, sutter being that high on their list is just foolish....great character and smarts, but he'll never be a top 2 line forward....

and yes, something must have turned carolina and the habs away from espo.....and i'm thinking that something is commonly referred to as their gm's being "crazy"....why they passed on cherepanov would be more in the "stupidity" range.

yah, cole being dealt would be a salary dump.....but he really does seem to be too brittle given the aggressiveness of his game to be worth his salary....i hope we get good prospects for him.

Why go for prospects for Cole when he could be used to get an impact player? Pitkanen could come in and bring new life to our powerplay. He'd easily put up 50 points here next year.

I think you're being unfair to JR. Ever think the problem with Johnson was that he just didn't want to play here? It happens. All the patience in the world can't change that. I don't think Los Angeles did something so special that enabled them to lure him out of college when the oppurtunity to join a stanley cup contender right before the beginning of the playoffs didn't. It's also somewhat ignorant for you to say you would have gotten more for him in a trade. You or I have no idea what goes on in the dealings between gm's. If you can't sign him and other teams know that they're not going to be offering up tons of picks and prospects for him. His value had been lowered. JR took the best deal that was on the table. We attempted to replace Johnson with a similar young defenseman and only time will tell if we were successful. Don't forget he also was able to get $2.5 mil off the books for this past year as well as this coming season. What kind of team could we build next year if we still had that money tied up in Tverdovsky?

Ignorant to say i don't know what goes on in the dealings between gm's? no, i'm not an nhl gm, but I think to say that the rights to jack johnson weren't worth more than what we got is ignorant. You put the rights to jack johnson on the open market and there would have been bidding. I ignorantly guarantee that. And if you want to argue in favour of JR by bringing up the mistake he made for paying tverdovsky so much in the first place that he had to find a way to unload it, then you are really just making my point by adding to the list of his fairly recent blunders.

Ooooh, I really hope we get pitkanen. that would save money and give us future upside. he's so much better than his numbers last year might have indicated on a poor philly team (cudo's JR for that, if it is true, though I'm still angry at JR).

well, sutter being that high on their list is just foolish....great character and smarts, but he'll never be a top 2 line forward....

and yes, something must have turned carolina and the habs away from espo.....and i'm thinking that something is commonly referred to as their gm's being "crazy"....why they passed on cherepanov would be more in the "stupidity" range.

Esposito and Cheraponov have two things in common - highly skilled finesse players with questionable work ethic.

It's the latter point that scared teams off.

You're selling Sutter a bit short. He might not be an All-Star but he will be a solid 2nd line player. I'll take that any day over guys with talent but an unwillingness to pay the price. Pavel Brendl, anyone?