The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Draft 2007

On another, more humorous note, Boston drafted one of the scariest players I've ever seen:

fullj.getty-74860263rb083_2007_nhl_entr_2_03_00_pm.jpg

Mission objectives: Win hockey game, plant thermonuclear device, return to the Fatherland.

:lol:

... What IS that^^^^???!!!!

That is Denis Reul, the Bruins 5th round pick. It's probably part of the Bruin's new tactic to win: Scare the crap out of the opposing team. :blink:

That guy needs to quit hockey and start his horror film career. :o

Some guys go to college so they have something to fall back on in case their hockey career doesn't work out...he's got a promising career in the film industry :lol:

I have to say, I'm befuddled. Shattenkirk is just what we've needed for the past year--a PP quarterback. He could have been an immediate contender for playing time. 2008/09 at the latest. We got Sutter...because? We need a 3rd line center? By the time he fills out, we won't need a 3rd line C anymore, we'll still need a doggone PP QB!

On record: I hate this pick.

Immediate contender for playing time? 08-09 by the latest? :unsure:

Shattenkirk is 18 years old and doesn't turn 19 until next January. Here's a list of every single 18-year old defensemen who played in the NHL this past season:

That's it. There were zero. To further prove my point, here's a list of 19 year old defensemen who played in the NHL this season:

Luc Bourdon - played 9 games and then was sent back to juniors.

Kristopher Letang - played 7 games and then was sent back to juniors.

Marc-Edouard Vlasic - played 81 games.

Hmm. So Vlasic *only* played 81 games, eh?

But, overall point taken; perhaps 2008-09 (the season, not the calendar year) is too soon to expect any young player to make the NHL. But, I'll give odds Shattenkirk makes it before Sutter at any age, barring decimation of our forward corps. The timetable for Sutter has to be slower, I believe, because one can only bulk up at a certain rate. I just don't see such a wiry player suddenly pulling a Staal and emerging from the minors as a beast

It surprised me to see Shattenkirk ranked on so many top-10 lists (Sutter wasn't) and then for us to pass on him.

Anyway, if you take my original 2008-09 assertion and consider that, in Jan. 2009 Shattenkirk will be 20, it might be worth considering that more than 20 19-to-20-year-old D-men played in the NHL this past year. I think the fact that he plays a thin position and has a skill (PP QB) that most teams need means he advances rapidly through the system.

Fortunately for us, JR knows how to get better players through a trade. Sounds like that's how he's going to try to fix our defense. Should be interesting.

I must give it to JR, though: I totally fell for the "Hurricanes Draft Prep" item on the home page. It was all "we LOVE Esposito--if he's there, we'll pick him!" and "Cherepanov is freakin' awesome! We'd totally pick him!"

Well played, Mr. Rutherford. You totally outsmarted your literate fans. I'm sure that if the Penguins or Rangers were reading that article, they were completely mind-freaked by your trickiness. :rolleyes:

Sutter was definitely a reach at #11.
Time will tell, I suppose, but TSN had him rated at #9 (though other services did have him lower -- ISS having him just barely a first-rounder at #30). My take on that is defensive-minded forwards just aren't that sexy a pick -- but teams need them to win and the Canes' current defensive-minded forward, while playing at an extremely high level of late, isn't getting any younger. I think that is why, while all the TSN analysts during the broadcast were expecting Carolina to take Esposito or Cherepanov...not a single one of them said it was a bad or strange pick when they announced taking Sutter instead.

I don't quite know what to make of the Sutter family history thing. How many offspring have been that good? On the other hand, he certainly knows what most kids at that age don't: the hard edges of the game. As a franchise, Carolina has been quietly getting tougher the last two years, and he fits that project. But, you can't overcome size or, at some level, ability. All the knowledge in the world just qualifies you to be a coach, not a stud player, if you don't fully come into your own.

It'll be interesting to see what Sutter turns into a few years from now. It would be great to have a Gary Roberts-type from a young age: some offensive ability, loads of attitude and intimidation.

I don't quite know what to make of the Sutter family history thing. How many offspring have been that good?

Brandon's uncles and father have played over 5000 games and captured 6 Cups. Brandon's father was the most successful of the 6. Played for the Islanders, played a little more than 1100 games, had about 800 points. Earned 2 Cups with them.

The similarity with Staal in terms of being tall yet needing to put on size intrigues me. Does anyone know what weight Eric played at in his rookie year?

The similarity with Staal in terms of being tall yet needing to put on size intrigues me. Does anyone know what weight Eric played at in his rookie year?
On draft day '03, he was listed as 6'3", 182#. The team roster now shows him at 6'4", 205#.

JR and the Canes like guys with character and integrity...seems like they got that with Sutter. This is from Canada.com:

Rutherford obviously relied on talent and bloodlines to make the pick, but likes Brandon's character just as much.

"He was picked in the first round but here he was on the second day, down at our (draft) table, shaking hands with three of the kids we drafted," said Rutherford.

I wonder how many of the other teams drafted Number 1's did that?

I like the sound of that but I could've sworn the only players the canes drafted who were actually there were Sutter himself and Chris Terry. I even read that on nhl.com if I remember correctly.

The rags are geniuses or the draft was rigged. I was a fan of theirs unofficially but it's now official. I hope to see him and jagr play together at least one year. Canes made a good pick but still blew it.

Caps made a great pick, the got the best d man to shore up that mess. They'll be fighting the pens for the ECF along with the rags for the next 10 years.

The rags are geniuses or the draft was rigged. I was a fan of theirs unofficially but it's now official. I hope to see him and jagr play together at least one year. Canes made a good pick but still blew it.

Caps made a great pick, the got the best d man to shore up that mess. They'll be fighting the pens for the ECF along with the rags for the next 10 years.

Little too early there to say we blew it.