The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
xtremesmartass

Czech Condor and ....

He's a waste of size b/c he refuses to play physical, he's slow, its time for both Joe & the Canes to move on to better things.

I still don't know why people stick to this assumption. Did you see him near the end of the last year? He finally found his niche. While he was still a little slow, he definitely played a lot more physical. He was hitting hard, and he used that big body of his to protect the puck.

I was really hoping JoVa would stay.

He's a waste of size b/c he refuses to play physical, he's slow, its time for both Joe & the Canes to move on to better things.
I still don't know why people stick to this assumption. Did you see him near the end of the last year? He finally found his niche. While he was still a little slow, he definitely played a lot more physical. He was hitting hard, and he used that big body of his to protect the puck.

I was really hoping JoVa would stay.

The problem is JoVa had so much more potential than the niche you describe of a third/fourth line grinder. For those that followed his early career only to see him develop into "this" is just not a pleasant thing to watch. That's why I'd prefer him to go elsewhere and have success at that, especially if this niche is all he is now capable of reaching.

I don't think JoVa has ever really gotten over the knee injury. Comparing him last year to previous seasons, he seems to favor it alot and it's really hurt his speed and turning ability.

I don't think JoVa has ever really gotten over the knee injury. Comparing him last year to previous seasons, he seems to favor it alot and it's really hurt his speed and turning ability.

That is very true. People forget he tore his ACL and that kind of injury used to be career-ending. Now guys can come back the next year but have major problems with lateral movement and stability in the knee. It's usually the second year before they are back to normal even though the ACL healed long ago.

I remember when Edgerrin James tore his ACL, he looked like a completely different player when he came back. No burst going forward and very limited ability to move laterally. He shied away from contact too.

It is hard not to feel for the guy. He was really good before the injury, but he just doesn't seem to have it anymore. I'd love to have the old him back. It would never hurt to work him out though and see if there is any improvement (or even give him some time in the ahl to see if he can get his game back), but from what i saw last year.....sadly i'm doubtful.