The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

When Does The Frenzy Start

With Gomez an Drury, it looks like the Rangers have 11 players under contract... for a bit over 36m million dollars. And Lundquist still needs to be signed. Leaves what, less than 14 million for 2 goaltenders and 9 or so skaters? They better now find some bargains or they will be in big trouble even with the big 3...

Not sure if I'd do that as a GM, but I am sure Rangers fans are excited right now.

-G

I just got home and heard the news....wow...does the Sabres have a team for next year and is the Rangers going to be beatable? I'm still in Shock....Briere signs w/ the flyers for 52 mil for 8 years......My inlaws are here w/ me from Philly and they can't beleive it either.....

I'm sorry, but wasn't the cap suppose to stop this from happening? Jagr, Drury, Gomez. Dunno if Nylander or Shanahan will be able to stick around after that.

And they just picked up that nasty looking Russian D-man in the draft.

Double ****

It doesn't keep teams from overspending, which is what NY is doing. NY is getting to the same spot Tampa is in, three great players taking up too much of their cap so they can't afford anyone else.

True, but if I remember correctly, Tampa Bay's done well doing that. Consistently making the playoffs based on 3 key players.

If you define success as being a low seed and getting knocked out in the first round, than yes Tampa has been successful. But they have been a shadow of their cup team because of the cap, because their role players keep leaving because tampa can't pay them.

I'd rather actually have a shot at the finals and three forwards aren't going to get you there. If you are going to tie up your cap like that at least one of those players has to be a top 5 defender or goaltender. And looking at NY, unless the cap moves up significantly again, how are they going to afford a defense and goaltending down the road? They still have to sign Lundqvist and he'll get at least what Ward and Miller are making.

Yeah, signing Henrik will be a problem.

But the Rangers have a good team now, and better players in the reserves. They've got the other 2 Staal brothers, I believe. And they stole that Russian defensemen in this year's draft.

They're kind of like Tampa Bay, but at least they've got good players to back them up when their top 3 have to be seperated.

Yeah, signing Henrik will be a problem.

But the Rangers have a good team now, and better players in the reserves. They've got the other 2 Staal brothers, I believe. And they stole that Russian defensemen in this year's draft.

They're kind of like Tampa Bay, but at least they've got good players to back them up when their top 3 have to be seperated.

They've got Marc Staal, who at last check wasn't developing as fast as he should. And I think the russian they "stole" who you are reffering to is Chereponov and he's a forward.

My bad. Thought I remember reading that somewhere.

Either way, even after picking up Drury and Gomez, the Rangers are still about 10 mill under the cap. They could keep Henrik and Shanahan with that.

My bad. Thought I remember reading that somewhere.

Either way, even after picking up Drury and Gomez, the Rangers are still about 10 mill under the cap. They could keep Henrik and Shanahan with that.

but who else? Those two alone would eat up nearly 8mil

Just throwing the numbers out there. Obviously, it's not likely they'll grab both of them. Especially considering they'd need some kind of defense to speak of.

Nonetheless, NYR/Philly 07-08 Cup Winners.

Calling it now. You heard it here first ;)

Just throwing the numbers out there. Obviously, it's not likely they'll grab both of them. Especially considering they'd need some kind of defense to speak of.

Nonetheless, NYR/Philly 07-08 Cup Winners.

Calling it now. You heard it here first ;)

Won't happen. Just cause you pay big money doesn't mean you win.

That depends. There's needlessly spending big money, with no real rhyme to it (Ala Islanders). And then there's spending big money to improve on what you have.

The Rangers had a good team before this deal. The addition of those two players, while not a huge "Instant Cup" thing, definitely improved their odds of taking it.

Philly came out of nowhere. They basically stripped Nashville clean, and then grabbed other good players to compliment. Again, it's not an instant Cup, but they've definitely got the talent to make a good run for it now.

Yeah I don't see the Pens sweeping the Flyers this season, no way. I wonder which one of their 3 goalies will go, Nitty, Esche and Biron are all good enough to be starters in their own right. My money is that Esche is history, he's definitely the lesser of the 3

My money is that Esche is history, he's definitely the lesser of the 3

Wow, did you ever think you see that sentence??

That depends. There's needlessly spending big money, with no real rhyme to it (Ala Islanders). And then there's spending big money to improve on what you have.

The Rangers had a good team before this deal. The addition of those two players, while not a huge "Instant Cup" thing, definitely improved their odds of taking it.

Philly came out of nowhere. They basically stripped Nashville clean, and then grabbed other good players to compliment. Again, it's not an instant Cup, but they've definitely got the talent to make a good run for it now.

The difference between Philly and NYR this offseason is that Philly has been spending their money more smartly than the Rangers have. I mean the Rangers have basically half their cap tied up into 4 forwards. That alone will really hurt them in the future. They won't be able to get the kind of defensive help they need because they won't be able to afford it. Forget about them being able to keep Staal in the future, he'll demand too much. They'll also have the problem with Lundqvist demanding more than they can offer when his contract runs out.

They've basically mortgaged their future so they can have a 1 year run to the Finals, after that, they'll be nothing more than Tampa where they have 1 or 2 good offensive lines, but after that, they'll get eaten alive.

Philly did it smart by spreading the money around. They now have big contracts locked up in forward, defense, and goalie. Now, no matter who you bring in, you'll have the chance to play alongside one of their stars in the lineup. Thats smart money and trying to develop.

Yeah I know, but he's just been so injury prone the last couple of years. I remember in the 03-04 playoffs he took a puck to the head and never really seemed the same. Heck who knows maybe he'll come back to being good this season.

Yeah I don't see the Pens sweeping the Flyers this season, no way. I wonder which one of their 3 goalies will go, Nitty, Esche and Biron are all good enough to be starters in their own right. My money is that Esche is history, he's definitely the lesser of the 3

Of course Esche is gone, he's a FA and the Flyers just signed both Nittymaki and Biron to contract extensions...

On another note, the Sabres fan are furious on their message boards at their GM Reiger for not resigning Drury and/or Briere. It's kind of funny.

Ryan Smyth has instructed his agent to accept the offer of the Colorado Avalanche.

Source?