The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

When Does The Frenzy Start

Schneider signed with Anaheim (they like defense, eh?) for 2 years, $5.6M per year. Pitkanen could be our best option at D if the market is like that.

So this is what its like to build upon a Cup winning team...

I thought you're just supposed to sit back and let your rental players walk all while not doing anything major in the free agent market so that you could continue to build for the future instead of building upon the present...

You're right about Burke: lose Niedermayer and come right back with another top-pair defenseman. He got done the one thing the Ducks need to compete for the Cup again. Ahem! Perhaps a certain Southeast GM could open the wallet now and get us the players we need???

Raise the ticket prices; whatever, just get the right players. This is a question of do you want to compete or not.

Schneider signed with Anaheim (they like defense, eh?) for 2 years, $5.6M per year. Pitkanen could be our best option at D if the market is like that.

I thought you're just supposed to sit back and let your rental players walk all while not doing anything major in the free agent market so that you could continue to build for the future instead of building upon the present...

I sure hope that isn't a slam on JR. How many Stanley Cups have you won??

You're right about Burke: lose Niedermayer and come right back with another top-pair defenseman. He got done the one thing the Ducks need to compete for the Cup again. Ahem! Perhaps a certain Southeast GM could open the wallet now and get us the players we need???

Raise the ticket prices; whatever, just get the right players. This is a question of do you want to compete or not.

You must not go to games or pay for your own tickets!! We have the team to compete!! We have no need for big name and big $$$ players.

I'm not trying to slam him, I'm just sayin...

why build for 5 years in the future when you have a team that is really only 1 or 2 pieces from winning another one NOW

I'm not trying to slam him, I'm just sayin...

why build for 5 years in the future when you have a team that is really only 1 or 2 pieces from winning another one NOW

because you want to be competitive every year, not just next year. You don't want to get into a cycle of having to sign big names to compete.

Looks like the panic is setting in early. Apparently there were only 7 free agents on the market this offseason, omg we won't sign anybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

Caniac, I think it's an expression of concern that we seem to sit tight rather than sign guys who look perfect. Nobody seems to know why, it's always "well, he is rumored to have character issues..." or "JR saw him at the combine in 1995 and his niece was a brat and once somebody heard him swear..." or "he puts up great numbers but his left eye is lazy." It's seemingly always a rather slim reason for not signing him (on this board--not from JR, who never says anything about anything).

My point is, we won the Cup--and I think the fans have a right to expect that we will build our team by getting more good players as we need them. Not sitting tight and hoping some magical talent grows on the farm or a veteran falls into our laps. Last year was a letdown, obviously. Now, we have some money under the cap and lots of good players to look at in free agency: what's the plan?

You must not go to games or pay for your own tickets!! We have the team to compete!! We have no need for big name and big $$$ players.

I don't think he meant it like that. I think he, like myself, is worried at the fact that two of the top targets this team had in the offseason have been allowed to sign with division rivals at prices we could have afforded. If they don't want to spend around $2 million a year for either Brett McLean or Todd White, why should we expect them to spend $2.5 million or more to land their other targets?

Seriously, it's 3:00 ON THE FIRST DAY OF FREE AGENCY. There's been a grand total of four teams that have made UFA signings. I guess 25 other GMs are "asleep" as well.

Caniac, I think it's an expression of concern that we seem to sit tight rather than sign guys who look perfect. Nobody seems to know why, it's always "well, he is rumored to have character issues..." or "JR saw him at the combine in 1995 and his niece was a brat and once somebody heard him swear..." or "he puts up great numbers but his left eye is lazy." It's seemingly always a rather slim reason for not signing him (on this board--not from JR, who never says anything about anything).

My point is, we won the Cup--and I think the fans have a right to expect that we will build our team by getting more good players as we need them. Not sitting tight and hoping some magical talent grows on the farm or a veteran falls into our laps. Last year was a letdown, obviously. Now, we have some money under the cap and lots of good players to look at in free agency: what's the plan?

Don't bother... he's JR's lapdog... :lol:

Seriously though, we won the Cup and then set our sights on the future. That doesn't make any sense. Why plan for possibly being able to compete in the future by letting players walk away from a team that is winning NOW.

JR tends to take a long term approach though which is why we probably didn't get White (JR was ok with the money but not the length). I think it was two years ago we got Oleg during the free agent frenzy, we all know how that turned out. The way I look at it and I think JR does the same, unless there is a player out there that is a MUST HAVE (and a third line center isn't it) then there is nothing wrong with waiting until the frenzy is over to see what's left. Today and tomorrow GM's are spending money like drunk sailors on shore leave, Tuesday they will have a hangover from spending too much and the REAL wheeling and dealing will take place.

Don't bother... he's JR's lapdog... :lol:

Seriously though, we won the Cup and then set our sights on the future. That doesn't make any sense. Why plan for possibly being able to compete in the future by letting players walk away from a team that is winning NOW.

We won't discuss what you are to JR, you have been warned once about name calling!! Grow up!! DieWinsDie made some valid points and i doubt he/she needs your help.

I think it was two years ago we got Oleg during the free agent frenzy, we all know how that turned out.

Yea... we won the Cup

And I guess you attribute that to Oleg's stellar play from the press box!!! Maybe we need to resign him and send him to Lynchburg to be with his biggest fan.

Look, I don't want to start a fight here. I agree that Carolina is lucky to have such a solid base of players who can keep the team in contention most years. But, last year was one where none of the bounces went our way and yet we were really close to the playoffs. Then, the trade deadline came and...what? No inspiration, no attempt to shake things up, no sense that the management thought we had a serious shot at the postseason. Right then you knew it was over.

We had money available then. We have it now. Is it so farfetched to think we might one day sign a top free agent?

Sure, it's early (very early). But there isn't a whole lot out there after the first-rate guys. I think seeing people like White and Stumpel go early in (or in Josef's case, prior to) the free agency period is a sign that other clubs have also noticed that there isn't tremendous depth to this free agent class. There are mega-talents and then there are some solid second-tier players, and then there are a lot of unknown quantities.

I think it was two years ago we got Oleg during the free agent frenzy, we all know how that turned out.

Yea... we won the Cup

Right, by refusing to overpay for Paul Kariya and instead signing significantly cheaper players like Whitney and Stillman. Are you trying to refute your own argument?