The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

When Does The Frenzy Start

Ray Whitney signed a contract with the Pens per Sportsnet.ca 6 years 4 million a year. :P

Ryan Whitney?

C'mon BRIERE SIGN WITH THE HABS!!! Pleeeeeeeeeeease!

I bet you will be doing your end zone dance if that happens!

Look, I don't want to start a fight here. I agree that Carolina is lucky to have such a solid base of players who can keep the team in contention most years. But, last year was one where none of the bounces went our way and yet we were really close to the playoffs. Then, the trade deadline came and...what? No inspiration, no attempt to shake things up, no sense that the management thought we had a serious shot at the postseason. Right then you knew it was over.

We had money available then. We have it now. Is it so farfetched to think we might one day sign a top free agent?

Sure, it's early (very early). But there isn't a whole lot out there after the first-rate guys. I think seeing people like White and Stumpel go early in (or in Josef's case, prior to) the free agency period is a sign that other clubs have also noticed that there isn't tremendous depth to this free agent class. There are mega-talents and then there are some solid second-tier players, and then there are a lot of unknown quantities.

There was no one single player that would have made a difference at the trade deadline, we had dropped a major turd by then. I think it was either Whitney or Brindy that stated we lost out on the playoffs because of how we played our first month. Winning just half of those games would have put us in the playoffs. JR has shown that he can pull the trigger when we play like winners (Weight and Recchi). You just don't spend big $$$'s if your team isn't playing like winners.

This Paul Holmgren guy sounds like he's done the impossible: rebuilt the mess that was the Philadelphia Flyers in less than a year.

I'm liking that Smyth to Colorado rumor. I'd prefer Drury, but Smyth would also be pretty damn awesome. First priority is Hannan or Stuart in my personal opinion.

This Paul Holmgren guy sounds like he's done the impossible: rebuilt the mess that was the Philadelphia Flyers in less than a year.

I'm liking that Smyth to Colorado rumor. I'd prefer Drury, but Smyth would also be pretty damn awesome. First priority is Hannan or Stuart in my personal opinion.

And the really scary thing about Philly is that they're going to have even more cap space open up in the future when Hatcher and Rathje retire...

Holy shite, the Flyers are going to be sick next season. I may have to make the 2 hour trek up to Philly next season to check them out, when they're not plyaing the 'Canes of course, God help an away fan in that arena.

Wow... Philly signed him for 8 years, $7 million per season and it includes a No Movement clause...

that means they can't trade him, they can't buy him out, they can't demote him, they can't put him on waivers, NOTHING

if he starts to suck, they're locked into him for the next 8 years.....

I wouldn't hand the Cup to Philly just yet because they signed Briere. It still remains to be seen if, like Cullen, Briere thrived in the Buffalo system or if he is that good himself.

Has that one Buffalo fan completely ignored what Philly's done since the trade deadline? How can he honestly say that Philly's a non-playoff team?

Florida's also become really dangerous, really fast. Man, I hope JR pulls something big out soon.

You wanna see a bunch of fans turn on a player who has carried their team for a few years?

http://forums.sabres.com/index.php?showtopic=25728''>http://forums.sabres.com/index.php?showtopic=25728' target="_blank">http://forums.sabres.com/index.php?showtopic=25728[/post]

:lol:

That's some of the funniest stuff I've seen in some time. What makes it even better is they're all complaining about how Briere is WAY overpaid and that they think he's only worth about $6.5 million, when the Flyers got him locked up for an average of $6.2 million a season (I believe that's it. If not, it's in the general vicinity).

You wanna see a bunch of fans turn on a player who has carried their team for a few years?

http://forums.sabres.com/index.php?showtopic=25728

:lol:

That's some of the funniest stuff I've seen in some time. What makes it even better is they're all complaining about how Briere is WAY overpaid and that they think he's only worth about $6.5 million, when the Flyers got him locked up for an average of $6.2 million a season (I believe that's it. If not, it's in the general vicinity).

LOL

I know... he's soooo overpaid that he deserves only $6.5 mil per season...

wait... thats exactly the average the Flyers locked him up for (i.e. thats their cap hit for the next 8 years)... that could be VERY cheap by the end of the contract

Perreault signed for $1.5m for one year with Chicago. Not a guy I would have been too excited about as our third line center (because he's sloooow). Still, great face-off man and has a good accurate shot....and at $1.5m well in the price range. Signing him perhaps would have left a few bucks on the table to maybe trade for a D-man upgrade.