The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

When Does The Frenzy Start

I'd take JoVa again. Especially if it means we can grab a D-man.

Likewise. JoVa would probably be playing on Walker and Ladd's line. Their physicality and grit would certainly make up for his softness. Plus, most people seem to forget that he played pretty damn well with us when we re-acquired him from Nashville.

Josef Vasicek would be a huge mistake in my opinion. We just spent $2.5 million on Scott Walker, for that money to be worthwhile we need to find a center that can actually compliment him and Andrew Ladd.

Josef Vasicek would be a huge mistake in my opinion. We just spent $2.5 million on Scott Walker, for that money to be worthwhile we need to find a center that can actually compliment him and Andrew Ladd.
I agree. I'm one that did think JoVa's play did get better toward the end of the season...but by better I mean it went from "mediocre" to "average". I thought Todd White would be the guy for us....let's see what JR has in mind.

Joe is too slow and too soft. We need someone with some jets for Walker and Ladd.

But giving JR's history, will anyone reallllly be suprised if he waits it out a week or so? 2 time executive of the year in the last 10 years, I'll put my money on JR.

I agree. I'm one that did think JoVa's play did get better toward the end of the season...but by better I mean it went from "mediocre" to "average". I thought Todd White would be the guy for us....let's see what JR has in mind.

I would like to see JR go after Paul Kariya even tho he is a LW instead of a center. I don't know who would be a likely free agent for us so I really wonder what will happen.

Our situation doesn't lend itself well to a flashy, quick signing. We need a third liner, for around $2M, for a season or two. Long term deals or more playing time usually compensate for a cheap annual deal and attract players to sign quickly. However, we can offer neither of those, as we will have to bring up some youth in the near future and our top two centers will command a lot of ice time.

Really, we have no choice but to wait until the other teams fill their holes. The good news is that the UFA market has a lot of centers looking for teams. It will be a buyers market once all of the big names have been taken. We don't need a big name, so we can wait.

Unless we get a really good deal on a guy who wants to sign quickly, don't count on us getting into the frenzy.

Our situation doesn't lend itself well to a flashy, quick signing. We need a third liner, for around $2M, for a season or two. Long term deals or more playing time usually compensate for a cheap annual deal and attract players to sign quickly. However, we can offer neither of those, as we will have to bring up some youth in the near future and our top two centers will command a lot of ice time.

I couldnt agree more. In fact I really didnt expect us to move today unless it was some kinda deal for a blueliner (Trade/UFA) etc... It looks like there will be quite a number of $1.2 mill + Centers out there from my take.

With the Flyers moves am I the only one that thinks its now MORE likely they will let Joni Pitkanen go?

If they let him go, it'll be to free up cap space, and to free up cap space only...

however, I'm hearing that they might be able to get Rathje to retire, and if that happens, Pitkanen isn't going anywhere. I mean they basically brought in Timmonen to mentor that kid, so it wouldn't make sense to let him go...

Ryan Smyth will almost certainly go to the Avs. :D

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/

Congratulations, you'll have quite the team in Colorado for the next couple of years. Of course, you'll have to address the headcase in net first.

On the Avs' boards, it's been speculated that the signing of Scott Hannan will be announced at the same time as Smyth (if Smyth does indeed sign with the Avs). Although it might sound kinda far-fetched at first, keep in mind that Eklund has said Hannan was almost certainly going to the Avs (he's been right for almost every other rumor today), and that Hannan, supposedly one of the most coveted free agents, has been barely brought up in any rumors other than said Avs one.

Of course, if these are false, I'll be crushed. Oh well. That's hockey, eh?

What else can we do? We're already loaded up, save for one forward spot. Any of a number of players can fill that spot too, and there'll be plenty of them left when the dust settles.

Ryan Smyth will almost certainly go to the Avs. :D

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/''>http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/' target="_blank">http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/[/post]

Congratulations, you'll have quite the team in Colorado for the next couple of years. Of course, you'll have to address the headcase in net first.

On the Avs' boards, it's been speculated that the signing of Scott Hannan will be announced at the same time as Smyth (if Smyth does indeed sign with the Avs). Although it might sound kinda far-fetched at first, keep in mind that Eklund has said Hannan was almost certainly going to the Avs (he's been right for almost every other rumor today), and that Hannan, supposedly one of the most coveted free agents, has been barely brought up in any rumors other than said Avs one.

Of course, if these are false, I'll be crushed. Oh well. That's hockey, eh?

If Colorado can keep their young talent under contract and build around Stastny and Wolski, they'll still be contenders in the near future. Ryan Smyth and Scott Hannan would just be further icing on that cake. Hopefully, those deals work out for you and the Avalanche.

Tomas Vokoun instantly made them better. Now, they've essentially signed an entire second or third line in one day. If they keep Olli Jokinen, they'll be VERY tough next season.