The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

When Does The Frenzy Start

Florida is gona be a whole new team next year expect them to be better

People said the same thing in 2005-2006, when they picked up Roberts, Nieuwendyk, and Gelinas. Refresh my memory. Who won the Cup that year?

Florida is gona be a whole new team next year expect them to be better

People said the same thing in 2005-2006, when they picked up Roberts, Nieuwendyk, and Gelinas. Refresh my memory. Who won the Cup that year?

They WERE a better team than the year before. Horton, Weiss and Stumpel wre going on the right track for a while. So, even though not GREAT, they indeed get better.

With the Flyers moves am I the only one that thinks its now MORE likely they will let Joni Pitkanen go?

If they let him go, it'll be to free up cap space, and to free up cap space only...

however, I'm hearing that they might be able to get Rathje to retire, and if that happens, Pitkanen isn't going anywhere. I mean they basically brought in Timmonen to mentor that kid, so it wouldn't make sense to let him go...

Rathje is on LTIR so he doesn't count against the cap.

If Pitkanen was as good as some people think, you don't get rid of him because of cap concerns. That makes little sense. There are several others guys who are excess baggage (like Gauthier and Sanderson) who could be moved for picks. With Pitkanen being taken to arbitration, the Flyers can try to knock his salary down by 15%. If they did the low amount would be $1.7 million. He will probably seek $4 million maximum. If the arbitrator settles it down the middle that's, $2.8+ million.

That doesn't break the bank. He is on the market because he doesn't think the game very well and Timmonen does what he was supposed to do. He's expendable because of his play not his salary.

I hope we sign someone good soon. Even Florida has jumped into the Free agency pool. I hope we don't just wait for the left overs even though it paid off in the past. The Ducks were already stacked on defense-now they are just greedy signing Schneider. :)

I knew the signing frenzy would happen when I had to leave to go to a family event, but better late than never on my comments.

I was disappointed that we didn't get White, but I'm sure the 4 years was too much for JR and I really don't blame him. Don't think I would want to sign a guy for 4 years when he's never played in your system. And with the luck we've been having with that position. It does suck though, cause I really wanted him. I do find it kind of humorous when all the talk was him to either Carolina or Florida, then bam Atlanta sweeps in. Screw Atlanta.

WOW on Briere. 8 freakin years, no movement clause, holy crap.

Ralfalski to Detroit. They did great replacing Schneider, actually better IMO. Glad Ralf is out of NJ.

Well Zubrus hasn't been signed yet, so i'm hoping JR offered him a contract and he's waiting to see what else he gets offered before making a decision.

My brother jokingly said JR is waiting on Allison. I told him that would be my worst nightmare. I'd much rather have Big Jo than Allison.

And Jeff Hamilton, who is this guy? My brother said JR would probably go after the no name player.

Jeff Hamilton signed a 2-yr deal with Carolina for $800k a year.

who?

he is a center/winger that has played a few years with chicago. put up alot of points in the AHL.

Hamilton had 39 points in 70 games (18+21) averaging 12:55 a game (3:21 PP, 0:02 SH). Plays the point on the powerplay.

Those of you wanting JR to make a quick move got your wish. Here's what we got.

Assets: Has plenty of offensive skills for the minor-league level and a nose for the net. Instincts and hockey sense are a big part of his game.

Flaws: Lacks the size and strength to make an impact in the NHL. Must prove he can put up numbers at the highest level.

Career potential: Reserve forward.

who?

This guy's essentially an AHLer. The one (almost) full season he's had in the NHL, he's racked up 39 points. It was with Chicago though, so that may have something to do with it.

I don't see him being the "50 point 3rd liner" JR wanted.

Jeff Hamilton to Carolina (E4)

He is on a lot of folks' sleeper lists. He reminds me a bit of a smaller Ziogmanis which isn't great. He can chip on the PP but won't add to the kill.

Ideally the 3rd line C can play both PP and PK and give Brindy a break on the kill. That's not Hamilton though he could have a bit of upside offensively.

who?

This guy's essentially an AHLer. The one (almost) full season he's had in the NHL, he's racked up 39 points. It was with Chicago though, so that may have something to do with it.

I don't see him being the "50 point 3rd liner" JR wanted.

he plays center.

Those of you wanting JR to make a quick move got your wish. Here's what we got.

Assets: Has plenty of offensive skills for the minor-league level and a nose for the net. Instincts and hockey sense are a big part of his game.

Flaws: Lacks the size and strength to make an impact in the NHL. Must prove he can put up numbers at the highest level.

Career potential: Reserve forward.

That scouting report is a couple years old. He put up quite a bit of points compared to ice-time last season, can play the point on the powerplay and is good in shootouts.

Despite The Hockey News saying that Hamilton is best suited as a reserve forward, he's gotten 47 points in 84 career NHL games (most with Chicago, a team horrible offensively). Plus, his price really isn't too bad. I still hope JR signs someone else *cough* Zubrus *cough* as another alternative for the third line.

Briere got 10 mil for the first year........................LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I thinks hes getting a little bit overpaid by about 6-5 mil.

He's supposed to be a bargain player. Eklund pegged him as the guy likely to sign for under $1M but could still make a difference. I wonder if his contract isn't two-way.