The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
model-citizen-1

Scotty Walker... best figher the Canes have ever had?

Walker is good, but you guys are forgetting about Darren Langdon. Not only was he our best fighter, be he was one of the best in the NHL. He didn't just fight people and beat them - he punished them.

I wish we had a few ore fights these days. They sure are fun to watch. And I don't mean the contrived fights that seem to happen now, but the real "I am really gonna kick your *edit* for that" type of fight.

Does anyone remember when Chad LaRose fought somebody in 05-06. I don't remember exactly what happened, but somebody took a cheapshot at one of our stars and LaRose jumped on the guy right away. He didn't have a chance in hell of winning, but he did it anyway.

That is what I love about our team. They are a team and they stick up for each other. I certainly hope we see more of that this year that we did last year.

Out of all his fights as a cane he really only fought one tough guy and that was Brenden Witt. He still won that fight but I'd hardly call Chris Clark, Andrew Alberts and Ole-Kristian Tollefsen heavyweights. Better fighters have played for Carolina but the thing about Walker is that he can still score 20 goals for you which those other guys can't boast.

the real "I am really gonna kick your *edit* for that" type of fight.

May I present to you:

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

I'm sure you've seen it before but some may not have and even if they have it's cool to see again. Alberts hit him knee-on-knee and Walker went right after him. They had him mic'ed up on another broadcast (which I can't find) and you can hear Walker say "let's go!" as he grabs him.

Out of all his fights as a cane he really only fought one tough guy and that was Brenden Witt. He still won that fight but I'd hardly call Chris Clark, Andrew Alberts and Ole-Kristian Tollefsen heavyweights. Better fighters have played for Carolina but the thing about Walker is that he can still score 20 goals for you which those other guys can't boast.

Hence, not a "goon", but a "tough" scoring forward. :)

Hence, not a "goon", but a "tough" scoring forward. :)

Exactly. He may not be the best fighter but in terms of what else he brings he's the most valuable.

Can't fault him for knowing when its a bad time to get into fisticuffs

Can't fault him for knowing when its a bad time to get into fisticuffs

What? I'm not faulting him at all. Not sure where you got that idea. What I'm saying is he isn't our best fighter in franchise history. When you put him up against those guys (other than Witt) of course he's going to beat on them.

I just hope he doesn't break his freakin' hand on a helmet or visor or something.

A lot of people thought he did during the Alberts fight. Never seen a helmet fly off someone's head that fast, at least not after a fist hit it (as opposed to a shoulder or the boards), and he sat out the 3rd period of that game. He was OK, just a little sore I guess.

Yeah, he hurt his hand after that fight. John and Tripp said during the 3rd period that he may have broken it, but he just hurt it.

And I dunno about Walker being the best fighter the Canes have ever had. Are we including the Whaler franchise in this scenerio?

Scotty cracks me up because you can read his lips sometimes saying "You don't want none.." when he is challenged.

My favorite was when he baited the guy into hitting him and didn't hit back causing us to go on a power play, instead of 2 major penalties. So not only can he spark the team with a fight, but he can talk some serious smack, and knows when to hold back.

I dare anyone to hit Brind'Amour while Scotty is close. Or hit anyone dirty for that matter. Oh yeah and if we're down by more than 2 goals....beware he's on the hunt. LOL

I am personally glad he is staying. I have never yelled at a fight on TV like I have for him.

You have to make the distinction based on skill level and role played

Walker is one of the best top 9 fighters but Langdon is probably the best overall. Not to diminish what Walker does but he isn't going to go up against the other team's best fighter while that was virtually all enforcers like Langdon did.

If Langdon had gone up against Alberts, the guy's head would off come in his helmet. <_<

Don't get me wrong... I like Scott Walker as much as the next guy... he's definetly the best fighter on our team now.

BUT I do think that you guys are underestimating Boulerice. I know he had that nasty KO, but seriously, the Bull had some pretty sick fights: Scott Thornton, Ryan VandenBussche, Darcy Hordichuk, Scott Parker, Stephen Peat, Chris Neil, just to name a few. You can make fun of the way the guy skates/plays, but he was definetly a tough fighter, and he stood up for his team.

I have said all all along that Scotty was the best trade we have ever made. I love his love for the game and the spirit he brings to each game. He will talk trash and can make good decisions to fight or just get hit and get the power play.

I have always wondered if I got a jersey with a name who would it be. I like everyone on our team but Scotty would be the man. SO glad we got him to sign and look forward to seeing him play this year.

GO SCOTTY!

Don't get me wrong... I like Scott Walker as much as the next guy... he's definetly the best fighter on our team now.

BUT I do think that you guys are underestimating Boulerice. I know he had that nasty KO, but seriously, the Bull had some pretty sick fights: Scott Thornton, Ryan VandenBussche, Darcy Hordichuk, Scott Parker, Stephen Peat, Chris Neil, just to name a few. You can make fun of the way the guy skates/plays, but he was definetly a tough fighter, and he stood up for his team.

I have to agree! I spoke with Jesse a few times in public and he is a very nice guy. He played hard and took the punches for the team when needed. I really hate that he could not compete at the NHL level. When he was sent to the AHL, I was hoping he would improve and make it back but it seems like no such luck.

I sure hope he can continue to play, at least at the AHL level, and be called up for which ever team he lands on. You have to like a guy that will sacrifice his body for the team.

Thanks Jesse!

I have to agree! I spoke with Jesse a few times in public and he is a very nice guy. He played hard and took the punches for the team when needed. I really hate that he could not compete at the NHL level. When he was sent to the AHL, I was hoping he would improve and make it back but it seems like no such luck.

I sure hope he can continue to play, at least at the AHL level, and be called up for which ever team he lands on. You have to like a guy that will sacrifice his body for the team.

Thanks Jesse!

We only signed him for 1 year last year. In other words he's a free agent. I really hope we sign him. He had a good season in Albany.

He was a tough, tough fighter but getting KO'd by Downey probably unfairly became a big part of his legacy.

But the one thing he did probably better than anyone I can remember is keeping his balance during a fight. That's incredibly hard to do but he just had a knack for being able to stay on his skates and keep trading punches. He wasn't one of those guys that other enforcers looked forward to fighting.

He was a tough, tough fighter but getting KO'd by Downey probably unfairly became a big part of his legacy.

But the one thing he did probably better than anyone I can remember is keeping his balance during a fight. That's incredibly hard to do but he just had a knack for being able to stay on his skates and keep trading punches. He wasn't one of those guys that other enforcers looked forward to fighting.

Definetly. Most of his fights were won by his superior balance. I remember one fight (don't recall which) where he took a punch and fell back but tugged down on his opponent's jersey and brought them down and used the momentum to keep himself up.

I was about to say...

I mean anytime you get knocked out for the count (and the season) on a 1-punch fight, that knocks you down a few pegs IMHO