The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
model-citizen-1

Scotty Walker... best figher the Canes have ever had?

You notice the time differences between your comparison? While the Canes have been the Canes for 10 years, the Braves have been the Atlanta Braves for over 70.

You notice the time differences between your comparison? While the Canes have been the Canes for 10 years, the Braves have been the Atlanta Braves for over 70.

I noticed that too... my whole point is that there is too much animosity towards any connection to the old team (but then again there's too much bitterness towards the new team from a few fans of the old too)

my whole point is that there is too much animosity towards any connection to the old team (but then again there's too much bitterness towards the new team from a few fans of the old too)

Exactly. There's just going to be those types of fans on both sides no matter what, & arguing doesn't get anyone anywhere.

The topic says best Canes fighter, doesn't say franchise, so it is a valid argument for anyone who says the whalers don't count. If you do want to say in franchise history, Stu Grimson hands down. Some colorful names you could throw in there woudl be Torrie Robertson, Jim McKenzie, Ed Kastelic, Marc Potvin (R.I.P.). Don't forget that in the WHA the real life Hanson Brothers played for the New England Whalers. Two of them weren't great fighers, but Jack Carlson(the one who wasn't in Slap Shot) was a premier fighter in the WHA.

You notice the time differences between your comparison? While the Canes have been the Canes for 10 years, the Braves have been the Atlanta Braves[b] for over 70[/b].

I know we got off topic but I was only replying to someone elses off the wall post and NO...it's not been 70 years. Braves have only been in Atlanta for 40 years. They moved there in 1966.

You notice the time differences between your comparison? While the Canes have been the Canes for 10 years, the Braves have been the Atlanta Braves[b] for over 70[/b].

I know we got off topic but I was only replying to someone elses off the wall post and NO...it's not been 70 years. Braves have only been in Atlanta for 40 years. They moved there in 1966.

How exactly is saying people should respect this teams roots "off the wall"?

I don't know, maybe I missed something, but Gleason is a better fighter than Walker. Gleason absolutely destroyed Shannahan prior to coming over here and he lit up one of the Flyers tough guys this season in defense of Whitney or Williams I believe. Walker is a very good middleweight fighter. My favorite moment was when Archie Irbe laid out someone from the Devils (possibly Turner Stevenson) in the playoffs after one of many Devils cheap shots.

You mean this?

That's my favorite Gleason fight :)

My favorite Walker fight has got to be the Alberts one. Not only did 5'10 Walker beat the crap out of 6'2 Alberts, but he sparked the team which lead to Whitney's hat trick.

To add to your point with something in the same sport and more recent who knew the Devils used to be the Colorado Rockies back in 82 and before that they were the Kansas City Scouts which I wouldnt expect anyone to know because they last 2 years before face planting and Kansas wants another team to ruin :blink:

Does anyone remember two seasons ago when Eric Staal got in a fight with someone and lost horribly? Then at the next faceoff, Doug Weight stood up for him and took down another guy. That was good stuff.

Yeah, I do remember that Doug Weight fight. It was against the Capitals, I think.

Staal got hit with a really bad cheap shot with led to his fight.

On the next puck drop Weight dropped the gloves. I was very impressed at the time because he had only been with us for a few games.

Definitely a good move on his part.