The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

Holy Cow. Staal is the coverboy for NHL08

This is horrible news, Eric is now doomed to have a horrible year. The curse of EA Games is infamous, look at Dany Heatley, and Alex Ovechkin (wasn't all that great this season after being on the cover). Then again Jerome Iginla was on it one year and they went to the SCF. But it's bad news, baaaad news.

Sorry, but Eric Staal should not be on the cover of NHL '08. Ray Whitney and Rod Brind'Amour deserve it far more.

Just my point....not everyone is going to agree. Brind'Amour is my all time favorite player but I don't think he should be on the cover. You want a player that is young, a player that children admire and look up to and of course someone that will sell the game. Staal does that as well as Sid the Kid and Ovechkin.

People can argue all day long about who "deserves" to be on the cover. EA Sports is a company that is in business to make money. They chose a player that will sell the game. That my friend is STAAL! Personally, I think they made a great choice. "It's Staal Good!"

And why wouldn't kids (and adults alike) look up to Brindy? He's someone who brings it game in and game out, and is more dedicated to hockey than anyone. So what if he's 36? He's Carolina's most popular player by a mile. Even if you didn't take Brindy for the age reason, there's still a ton of younger players that deserve it far more than Staal...how about Chad LaRose? Why wouldn't kids eat up the story of the little 5'9" guy that proves you can get anywhere on heart and determination? I'd also be willing to bet that they'd save a bucketload of cash getting Rosey to endorse the game in comparison with Staal.

Brindamour and Whitney may have had better seasons than Staal this year, but when it comes to Carolina, most people immediately think of Staal. The Staal family's a coveted family in hockey, and no doubt, is part of the reason why he was chosen for the cover.

As to why Staal was chosen over LaRose: Well, as great as LaRose has done over here, hockey's a number game. When LaRose has a 100-point season, then he may get a chance to grace the cover. And again, name recognition's got something to do with it.

Brindamour and Whitney may have had better seasons than Staal this year, but when it comes to Carolina, most people immediately think of Staal. The Staal family's a coveted family in hockey, and no doubt, is part of the reason why he was chosen for the cover.

As to why Staal was chosen over LaRose: Well, as great as LaRose has done over here, hockey's a number game. When LaRose has a 100-point season, then he may get a chance to grace the cover. And again, name recognition's got something to do with it.

It's very simple. Carolina won the Cup and Staal has the name recognition (personally and along with his brothers), he is the young star they want to associate with, has some familiarity already due to the GQ cover and along the Cam Ward traveled all over with the Cup last year.

Few outside of Carolina even know who LaRose is and that would be a disaster to put him on the cover. The two logical choices were Cam Ward and Staal if the criteria was to have a Cup-winning Cane.

Few outside of Carolina even know who LaRose is and that would be a disaster to put him on the cover. The two logical choices were Cam Ward and Staal if the criteria was to have a Cup-winning Cane.

A young, marketable Cup-winning Cane. It's all about marketing and I think they made a good choice.

A young, marketable Cup-winning Cane. It's all about marketing and I think they made a good choice.

No doubt and it's an honor they chose a Cane. Some people are reacting like it is the cover of the Canes media guide or something. It's a marketing 101 example.

And why wouldn't kids (and adults alike) look up to Brindy? He's someone who brings it game in and game out, and is more dedicated to hockey than anyone. So what if he's 36? He's Carolina's most popular player by a mile. Even if you didn't take Brindy for the age reason, there's still a ton of younger players that deserve it far more than Staal...how about Chad LaRose? Why wouldn't kids eat up the story of the little 5'9" guy that proves you can get anywhere on heart and determination? I'd also be willing to bet that they'd save a bucketload of cash getting Rosey to endorse the game in comparison with Staal.

Kids look up to Staal moreso than Brindy. I think Brindy is the one adults look up to, but when your marketing to kids, you need to go with who the kids hero is and that's Staal not Brindy. I've got 2 nephews 7 and 5 one loves Cam the other Staal. Their friends are all about Staal, when they play street hockey each one wants to be Staal. I see more kids wearing the Staal shirt, than I do Brindy.

And face it, who outside of NC and Michigan (where he's from) knows who Chad LaRose is?

Its called marketing and their market is young kids/teenagers.

People act like he wasnt one of our best players if not the best last season. I mean lets me honest , do you think we still would have been able to win the cup without Eric Staal and the numbers he posted. He didnt have as great of a year this year as last but still was one of the team leaders. Eric has a stanley cup ring at a young age and was a leader on a great team and I think thats why they choose him and not Sid. But I wouldnt be surprised to see him on there next year or the few to come. Screw the curse, Its a bigtime honor to be on a frickin game cover dont think Id turn that down just because of a so called curse.Its not even Madden and then I might be a little worried.

The thing I love about Staal being on the cover, aside from the fact that he is probably one of the most accomplished young superstars in the league, is the fact that the gamers in Sabreland are going to have to buy the game with one of our Superstars on the cover and be reminded of us everytime they look at it!!! Unless they burn the case, spray paint it or just trash it the minute they open it!! That makes me smile!!!

There's some pretty interesting things you can do with Photoshop. I know before the cover was announced, there was a picture of 08 with Miller on the cover floating around the Internet.

Yea I know there hating it along with Edmonton fans which is great. Hopefullly our rivals down in "Blueland" cant stand it either that would just top it off if a thrasher fan came on here and claimed it

Cry me a river. Are these hockey fans for real? If they can't see that Staal is one of the best players in the NHL, they have issues. This past year was not as good as his 06 year but he is still one of the elite.

Like I said before, they are just mad because it was a Carolina player. They keep saying that Crosby or Jordan Staal should be on the cover? How may Stanley Cups have they won? They will get over it!

Bah, they're just jealous 'cause it's not a Sabre this year. Maybe one of theirs will get his cover next year, since the covers are a year off (i.e., putting AO on last year's 'cause he was apparently all the rage so they bumped Staal to this year instead).

Bah, they're just jealous 'cause it's not a Sabre this year. Maybe one of theirs will get his cover next year, since the covers are a year off (i.e., putting AO on last year's 'cause he was apparently all the rage so they bumped Staal to this year instead).

You gotta actually win somethin before they do that

I'm guessin the next year it'll probably be Giguere

Well, if ya gotta win somethin' to get that honour, then why are they bitchin' over on the Sabres boards? Do they know that that's a prerequisite for a cover (I doubt they went so far as to actually READ how they determine a cover, but look who we're talking about here)? And you neva know - Sabres could win the Cup next year & still get a Sabre on that cover.

A little surprised by the choice...but heard on the radio this morning that one of the reasons EA would have picked Staal is that he is a big video game player. EA likes to send their cover guy around the nation promoting the product and the press are there, so it helps if the guy actually plays the game. Years ago, the guy said, EA would put people on the cover that were good hockey players but who didn't have a clue about the video game (I think he specifically mentioned Eric Lindros as an example) -- they were pretty worthless at promoting the product and giving good "quotes" to the press about the game. He said that EA now selects guys that are good but who are also passionate about the video game.

Years ago, the guy said, EA would put people on the cover that were good hockey players but who didn't have a clue about the video game (I think he specifically mentioned Eric Lindros as an example)

LMFAO!! Does Lindros have a clue about ANYTHING other than how to play hockey???

Sorry, I just thought that was funny about Lindros!

Has anyone else realized this....with Staal being announced to be on the 08 cover, every Southeast team has had a player to have that honor. We are the only division that can say that.

Right?

Has anyone else realized this....with Staal being announced to be on the 08 cover, every Southeast team has had a player to have that honor. We are the only division that can say that.

Right?

technically yes, but in reality, no...

Heatley never made it to the front of the game, so the Thrashers haven't actually had their player on the cover yet (unless Kovalchuk did it once)