The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
goeb

Series Discussion

I look at it this way. Ottawa's had tougher opponents to face, and they've won against them in a quicker amount of time. The fact that Buffalo had any trouble against the Islanders says something, and while the Rangers are a good team, there was no reason to come that close to losing against them. Especially considering most games ended with only 1 goal deficit, considering Buffalo's explosive offense.

Both teams are obviously more offensive oriented, which Buffalo should have an advantage in, but considering their play so far in the playoffs, I'd give it to Ottawa.

Defensively, both teams don't have any big names. It could go either way.

Minding the goal, I'd give it to Emery. Miller's good, but Emery's been better.

Ottawa in 6

ok...lemme try to get this straight....You're a Canadian from Toronto, yet, you're rooting for Ottawa and your're a Hurricanes fan...????

Whoa, that just doesnt make any sence :o lol

And IceFrog999, I don't exactly think winning a series in 5 games (vs Islanders) is "struggling." We didnt play our best hockey against them, but we still won it in 5. And Emery better than Miller? Not at all.

I don't know why you put this up. All the Canes fans are going to say Ottawa because they dont like Buffalo.

Proved by icefrog..

Ottawa did not play the better teams, Penguins played the worst of any team in the playoffs and the Devils played with terrible offense and their goaltending was also horrendous.

Again, bias views are going to be presented..

ok...lemme try to get this straight....You're a Canadian from Toronto, yet, you're rooting for Ottawa and your're a Hurricanes fan...????

Whoa, that just doesnt make any sence :o lol

And IceFrog999, I don't exactly think winning a series in 5 games (vs Islanders) is "struggling." We didnt play our best hockey against them, but we still won it in 5. And Emery better than Miller? Not at all.

Hold it hold it. I'm a Rangers fan, I've come to like the Carolina Hurricanes but I really just like a few players on the team and their GM, so I wouldn't label myself an official fan by any means (their my 2nd favourite team). Just cause I'm from Toronto doesn't mean I like the Leafs, cause I don't, can't stand them. I would never cheer for them with the greedy owners they have.

I'm rooting for Ottawa the rest of the way but mostly cause I think its good if a Canadian team can win the Cup. If Ottawa loses I won't be upset about it or anything like if the Rangers lost, and if they win the Cup I wouldn't be ecstatic either. So basically, just on Ottawa's side here.

Also Miller is better than Emery currently.

I look at it this way. Ottawa's had tougher opponents to face, and they've won against them in a quicker amount of time. The fact that Buffalo had any trouble against the Islanders says something, and while the Rangers are a good team, there was no reason to come that close to losing against them. Especially considering most games ended with only 1 goal deficit, considering Buffalo's explosive offense.

Both teams are obviously more offensive oriented, which Buffalo should have an advantage in, but considering their play so far in the playoffs, I'd give it to Ottawa.

Defensively, both teams don't have any big names. It could go either way.

Minding the goal, I'd give it to Emery. Miller's good, but Emery's been better.

Ottawa in 6

Are you kidding? Emery? Have you even watched Miller in the first two rounds? I don't think this is my Miller bias showing, maybe a little, but I believe many people - non Sabres fans - will back me on this one....

When was the last game that Gerber played? He came in last season when Cam was pulled and played awesome . So much that he got the start the folowing game and had a shut out against Buffalo. Am I remembering right?

Anyway, that would make for two Ottawa goaltenders ready for the challenge. I'm gonna give the edge to Miller over Emery right now but special teams and grit go to Ottawa. Gonna agree with our Ranger friend that home ice could end up being the deciding factor.

This IS a Canes board so Rob is right by saying there will be tons of bias against Buffalo. It won't change regardless of how many posts are made by Buffalo fans hoping to change the mentality (and we do appreciate our respectful posters from Buffalo). Most people will admit that Buffalo is a great team and is definately a favorite to go all the way, but even knowing that won't deter people from rooting ABB. As long as any of the Sabre's fans that post here realize this(and most do), we'll all get along fine. Coming here just in defence of your team will only cause arguing. I'm sure there's better discussion to be had than a no-win argument.

...And why are they waiting till Saturday to start this series??????

When was the last game that Gerber played? He came in last season when Cam was pulled and played awesome . So much that he got the start the folowing game and had a shut out against Buffalo. Am I remembering right?

Anyway, that would make for two Ottawa goaltenders ready for the challenge. I'm gonna give the edge to Miller over Emery right now but special teams and grit go to Ottawa. Gonna agree with our Ranger friend that home ice could end up being the deciding factor.

This IS a Canes board so Rob is right by saying there will be tons of bias against Buffalo. It won't change regardless of how many posts are made by Buffalo fans hoping to change the mentality (and we do appreciate our respectful posters from Buffalo). Most people will admit that Buffalo is a great team and is definately a favorite to go all the way, but even knowing that won't deter people from rooting ABB. As long as any of the Sabre's fans that post here realize this(and most do), we'll all get along fine. Coming here just in defence of your team will only cause arguing. I'm sure there's better discussion to be had than a no-win argument.

...And why are they waiting till Saturday to start this series??????

Advantages...

Buffalo has more offensive balance and depth, a slight edge in goaltending, a more mobile defense, better initial outlet passing, slightly better coaching, more offense from the blueline, and home ice.

Ottawa can score at even strength, has better overall D, is more physical, is better at shot blocking, getting sticks in passing/shooting lanes, better specialty teams, and is better defensively in the neutral zone.

When I add it all up, I have to give Ottawa the edge - probably in 7 games.

Every series, like yesterday's game, seems to have that odd high-scoring game but for the most part this late in the post-season it usually comes down to team D, a physical grinding pace, and specialty teams. Miller could be the X-factor but Ottawa has the edge in the most important categories in my opinion.

The regular season, where Buffalo could count on skating past teams, isn't the playoffs and I think Ottawa is built better for playoff success though I'm not overly sold on Emery.

heh out of all the goalies left in the playoffs Emery is dead last on my list of game changers

Hasek might flop but no one scores the game on who flops the most, somehow he keeps the puck out.

Hasek

Giguere

Nabokov

Miller

Emery

I think it's going to come down to the shut-down defensive pairings and the goaltenders. In terms of defensive pairings, you've got the best defensive pair in the league in Volchenkov and Phillips. Tallinder and Lydman are good together, but Volchenkov and Phillips just have them beat. Buffalo's shining light is that Miller is playing great right now. Emery's playing well too, but it's Miller time. It's gonna be a close series, probably physical and low-scoring. In that respect, I'd say Ottawa has the advantage.

Senators in seven.

Ottawa did not play the better teams, Penguins played the worst of any team in the playoffs and the Devils played with terrible offense and their goaltending was also horrendous.

The Penguins were a better team than the Islanders. And were far better than Atlanta, who takes the title as "The Worst Team in the Playoffs". The Devils were a better team than the Rangers. And I don't see how anyone can called the Devils goaltending horrendous, unless you forget who's in net.

And yes, I believe Emery is better than Miller. Could be a little biased against him, or it could be the Sabres biased for him. Either way, as already stated, Ottawa's got two capable goaltenders. Buffalo's got Miller, and Ty "Empty Net" Conklin.

1) It doesn't matter which goaltender is better. The only thing that matters about goaltending is which one gets hot.

2) Ottawa has corrected their biggest mistake of previous years....lack of defensive awareness. In previous years they relied on scoring 6-8 goals a game to maintain a lead. The series against NJ proved that Ottawa can play close games, which is what this series against Buffalo is going to have a lot of.

You're honestly telling me Broudeur played good? Seemed like every time i checked his games a weak goal was going in. Or did you even watch the series..

The goal against miller in game 5 was weak, and Broudeur let about 6 or 7 of those in.

You're honestly telling me Broudeur played good? Seemed like every time i checked his games a weak goal was going in. Or did you even watch the series..

The goal against miller in game 5 was weak, and Broudeur let about 6 or 7 of those in.

Pay attention to where the goals were scored....The senator's were capitalizing on Brodeur's short-glove hand, which for some reason was coming up short all series. Many of the goals you are referring to were scored over the shoulder of his glove hand. The Senator's out-coached Brodeur's weakness. Whether you want to believe it or not Ottawa is playing very tightly strategized hockey right now, when before they'd play very loose in the playoffs.

1) It doesn't matter which goaltender is better. The only thing that matters about goaltending is which one gets hot.

2) Ottawa has corrected their biggest mistake of previous years....lack of defensive awareness. In previous years they relied on scoring 6-8 goals a game to maintain a lead. The series against NJ proved that Ottawa can play close games, which is what this series against Buffalo is going to have a lot of.

I totally agree with what you said.. its what goaltender is hot.. everybody thought that Broduer was going to come out strong because he is an amazing goaltender.. and he is its just that isnt hot. for example last year cam ward was on fire..Emery is on fire right now.. and miller not so much.. the only thing that miller does better than anyone else is that he knows how to protect a lead and he come up big. AND i think eventhough ottowa didnt make it to th ECF last year they have more experience and more depth ..

I think some people are forgetting that Miller just beat Lundqvist. Hottest goalie in the 2nd half of the season, and Lundqvist had a much better post-season in my opinion than Brodeur did. DiPietro also stole the Isles only win in the first round. I don't think Sabres had much trouble in the 1st round, the games were close, but they still came out on top. Rangers were very good for a 6th seed and it surprised Buffalo a bit after going up 2-0 in the series. That series was a good one for the Sabres because they had to deal with a hungry hockey club in the Rangers.

Buffalo swept the Rangers in the regular season....

W7-4

W4-3

W3-2

W4-3

Losing two to the Rangers in the playoffs could mean something. And before anyone uses this excuse.....NO! Sean Avery did not make THAT big of a difference.

How is Miller not on fire to the one guy who said he wasn't? And Emery is is on fire? You watching the playoffs? He has one 4 goal game and he's terrible. Miller has a .928 save %. Emery has a .919%. I don't understand how people can critque a team from their previous round. Whenever the Sabres don't win 8-0 and score 5 pp goals its not that good. They must be doing something right if their in the Conference Finals.

Sabres better Defense, more depth, better goalie, Power play haha jk again

Senators better Power Play, Physical Play

Offense is tied

I wanna see Emery against an elite offense. Not one that gives him twenty something shots a game from the side. Emery has impressed with his play and is getting better but, he is no way shape or form better than Miller. He couldn't handle us last year and for sure I think he'll do a lot better but with all this said... BLOW SENS BLOW

Sabres in 6

TSA- IS the series starting on Saturday??? I don't think they released the schedules yet.

Here's my 2 cents for what its worth:

Power Play: Edge goes to Ottawa.

Reason: Buffalo's PP has been horrible. It does look like they are starting to come around, but in order to win this series their gonna have to get better on the PP.

Offense: Edge goes to Buffalo (but very close)

Reason: The Alfreddson, Heatley, and Spezza line has been amazing this series. And their 3rd and 4th line has put up some goals, but I just think Buffalo can roll the 4 lines better and their 4th line is more of a scoring threat than Ottawa's 4th line.

Defense: Edge goes to Ottawa

Reason: Volchenkov (sp) and Phillips is just awesome right now. If they continue their play, whatever, line their against is gonna have a difficult time putting in goals. I just feel that Ottawa's defense right now is better.

Goaltending: Edge goes to Buffalo

Reason: Miller and Emery are pretty close, but right now Miller has the edge. IMHO, Miller has been tested alot more than Emery has. Jersey didn't really test Emery like the Rangers tested Miller.

Experience: Edge goes to Ottawa

Reason: Buffalo has Druy, Max, etc, but Ottawa IMO has more experience. Last year's run will probably help Buffalo some, but I think they will be easier to break down, see last year's Brind'Amour goal in Game 7.

This is going to be a great series and really its anyone's series. Teams match up very well and the edges are very close that it could go to any team.

But with all this said......I say

Ottawa in 6

Go Sens Go

IS the series starting on Saturday??? I don't think they released the schedules yet.

Saturday May 19 Game 1 for the ECF

Sunday May 20 Game 1 for the WCF

My question is why so freakin far out. The San Jose-Detroit series will be decided no later than Wednesday right, so why can't they start this Saturday the 12th.

EDIT: I'm wrong. I'm watching the San Jose-Detroit game and the VS guys just said Game 1 Sabres-Sens is Thursday, pre-game coverage starts at 6:30pm.

Buffalo swept the Rangers in the regular season....

W7-4

W4-3

W3-2

W4-3

Losing two to the Rangers in the playoffs could mean something. And before anyone uses this excuse.....NO! Sean Avery did not make THAT big of a difference.

All those games were before Christmas. The Rangers were a different team come the new year. Their record was nearly identical to the Sabres after December. New York plays the kind of defense Buffalo has a difficult time with - a wall of hard hitting defenders at the blue line, everyone collapsing down low if there is action in their own zone, all backed up by an outstanding netminder. Colorado, Minnesota, and New Jersey all used the same style to beat the Sabres in the regular season.

Ottawa has a pretty tenacious defense, as well. They went 5-2-1 against Buffalo and Emery was in net for all five wins. He never gave up more than 3 goals a game in the Sabres regular season series and twice held Buffalo to one goal games. He has been hot in the playoffs, averaging 2.04 GAA (Miller has 2.06 GAA) and has two shut outs.

On top of all that the line of Jason Spezza, Daniel Alfredsson and Dany Heatley had 23 points against New Jersey with Alfredsson leading Ottawa with six post-season goals. Heatley and Spezza have five each.

Very impressive.

However, we have the line of Chris Drury (7 goals in playoffs), Ales Kotalik, and Dainus Zubrus (8 assists) to counter the Heatley line. In addition we have greater depth; Daniel Briere (11 playoff points), Tim Connolly (7 assists), Maxim Afinogenov, Derek Roy, Jason Pominville, Jochen Hecht, and Thomas Vanek (5 goals) all are a scoring threat when on the ice, giving Buffalo four complete scoring lines. The Sabres defense has been strong, led by Teppo Numminen (+9 in playoffs) and Dmitri Kalinin (+8). Miller has been outstanding, with a .928 SV% in the first two rounds.

I expect this will be a long series with both teams winning an away game. I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade every other game.

IS the series starting on Saturday??? I don't think they released the schedules yet.

Saturday May 19 Game 1 for the ECF

Sunday May 20 Game 1 for the WCF

My question is why so freakin far out. The San Jose-Detroit series will be decided no later than Wednesday right, so why can't they start this Saturday the 12th.

Saturday, May 19 is game 4, on NBC. The ECF starts Thursday. Game 2 is this Saturday.

Sens in 7. I don't think Miller will hold. His GAA is steadily reducing. The question is whether the Sens have the goalkeeping to match. If so, I think the series is theirs. All in all, I'm going to put my money on the sens.

Let's go sens!

Wow this series is going to be insane, with what happened during the regular season and all that'd be awesome to see that in the playoffs, although we probably won't (the line fight). Man who can predict who will win this, both teams are infamous for choking in the big game, is it possible that both can lose? I don't know guys but it's going to be one hell of a series, probably the best all playoffs. I'm going to give it to the Sens in 7 just because I hate all that is Buffalo, NY, but it could so easily go their way if they play to their potential. But I mean after all the Sabres probably are the better team but Ottawa could be the hottest right now. It's going to be a good one, that's for sure.

Wow this series is going to be insane, with what happened during the regular season and all that'd be awesome to see that in the playoffs, although we probably won't (the line fight). Man who can predict who will win this, both teams are infamous for choking in the big game, is it possible that both can lose? I don't know guys but it's going to be one hell of a series, probably the best all playoffs. I'm going to give it to the Sens in 7 just because I hate all that is Buffalo, NY, but it could so easily go their way if they play to their potential. But I mean after all the Sabres probably are the better team but Ottawa could be the hottest right now. It's going to be a good one, that's for sure.

Ottawa will be happy just making it to the semifinals.