The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
goeb

Series Discussion

Yes, it will start Thursday.

Every source seems to be reporting:

Thursday, May 10 -- Ottawa at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

Saturday, May 12 -- Ottawa at Buffalo, 8 p.m.

Monday, May 14 -- Buffalo at Ottawa, 7 p.m.

Wednesday, May 16 -- Buffalo at Ottawa, 7 p.m.

*-Saturday, May 19 -- Ottawa at Buffalo, 2 p.m.

*-Monday, May 21 -- Buffalo at Ottawa, 7 p.m.

*-Wednesday, May 23 -- Ottawa at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

Kinda bad...the Sabres seem to have trouble on Saturday nights this year...

I think the Sens are perhaps the best equipped of the remaining teams to be able to counter the Slugs' speed with physicality and speed of their own, plus they have the advantage on special teams. That said, I still don't trust Emery. Maybe this is a product of my not having seen enough Sens games this year, but I have a hard time believing he can steal games from the Slugs by himself as Lundqvist almost did. So hopefully it doesn't come to that. Although Emery did go 5-1 against the Slugs this year, so maybe I'm underestimating him.

I think this will be a very evenly match game. Both team know each other very well since they play in the save division.

There won't be any surprises from either side that the other hasn't seen.

Both teams have explosive players. Drury is carrying the team while Briere has been a non-factor as far as scoring goals so far.

Both teams have young goaltenders who have played well. Miller gets the edge nod since he's been here before and Emery hasn't.

Its gonna boil down to special teams, which is the only kink I see in the Sabres armor. Dismal PP while the Sens have been red hot.

PK is pretty even.

Sens in 7.

A couple of quick points to add to my earlier comments.

The revenge factor from last postseason for the Sens may be one of those intangible factors that favors Ottawa. Buffalo wants to make amends for getting stopped in last year's ECF's but since it wasn't Ottawa who knocked them out the revenge elements will be different.

Secondly, I think any lingering issues from the brawl a couple of months ago actually will favor the Sens. I always thought Ruff's decision to goon it up against Ottawa's elite players was a mistake. Having Ottawa answer for Neil's hit on Drury was fine, but by doing what he did signaled that you can get into the Sabres' head and throw them off their game with a very physical (not saying dirty though) style of play. Buffalo's overreaction underscored it and Ottawa can play that way.

Both teams will make you pay their rushes so whoever controls the neutral zone better has a distinct edge. From January on, I didn't see anyone do that better than Ottawa and that includes the Devils.

Ottawa out-trapped the Devils, but they won't out-trap Buffalo. Jersey just didn't have the guns to get the job done and Brodeur went belly-up for the series.

Hold it hold it. I'm a Rangers fan, I've come to like the Carolina Hurricanes but I really just like a few players on the team and their GM, so I wouldn't label myself an official fan by any means (their my 2nd favourite team). Just cause I'm from Toronto doesn't mean I like the Leafs, cause I don't, can't stand them. I would never cheer for them with the greedy owners they have.

whoa...you're a little sensitive aren't you. Dude, I was just joking.

I am going to go with my before the season pick of Buffalo in 6. I think Emery will break down in this one.

I am just giving an honest opinon. I hope I am wrong and will root for the Sens though.

briere has been awesome, he's racking up assists...drury is the all-time leader in piss-in goals

go emery and sens, prove them wrong

SABRES in 7, good games ,close scoring,hard checking.This series will most likely be better than the finals..

Ottawa out-trapped the Devils, but they won't out-trap Buffalo. Jersey just didn't have the guns to get the job done and Brodeur went belly-up for the series.

Buffalo won't be trapping. In fact, they'll probably play their speed game against Ottawa. Ottawa may deploy a version of the trap to slow them down. Buffalo's been rolling four lines, but has shifted somewhat to employ primarily three in recent games. Ottawa has one really strong line and two others that can occasionally chip in a goal.

I think the difference will come down to goaltending. Emery is streaky. He can play really well or he can play really poorly. Miller has been playing solid through the playoffs, while Emery wasn't tested much against the Devils (and regardless what Lamoriello intimated during the series, I still think Brodeur was playing injured).

Watch for Ruff to put Drury's line out against Spezza's at home, and for Murray to avoid the matchup in Ottawa.

Sabres in 6.

Both teams know each other well. Shoud be a very close series. I don't expect the Sabres PP to keep struggling.. they will find it. I predict the series will swing on how well Emery does. If he outplays Miller, and the Sens win the overtime game that will likely occur, then Ottawa will prevail. However, I don't expect that to happen, so I go with Sabres in 7, on to their 3rd try at the Finals.

Sens in 7. I don't think Miller will hold. His GAA is steadily reducing. The question is whether the Sens have the goalkeeping to match. If so, I think the series is theirs. All in all, I'm going to put my money on the sens.

Let's go sens!

WHAT!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING?

His GAA is .928

Let's look at the Goals he allowed recently

Game 3: 2

Game 4: 2

Game 5: 1

Game 6: 4

Up until the last game is GAA was pretty good. He had one bad game and his GAA is slipping? Another thing. Most of the goals he allowed were on the Penalty Kill. But overall the entire team on the PK wasn't very good for Game 6. Miller has been stellar and a key reason the Sabres made it this far.

Buffalo won't be trapping. In fact, they'll probably play their speed game against Ottawa. Ottawa may deploy a version of the trap to slow them down. Buffalo's been rolling four lines, but has shifted somewhat to employ primarily three in recent games. Ottawa has one really strong line and two others that can occasionally chip in a goal.

I think the difference will come down to goaltending. Emery is streaky. He can play really well or he can play really poorly. Miller has been playing solid through the playoffs, while Emery wasn't tested much against the Devils (and regardless what Lamoriello intimated during the series, I still think Brodeur was playing injured).

Watch for Ruff to put Drury's line out against Spezza's at home, and for Murray to avoid the matchup in Ottawa.

Sabres in 6.

Neither team will do anything other than a situational trap. The dirty little secret of the old Ottawa teams under Martin, is that they trapped extensively, especially when they get the lead (he still uses that system with Florida). Murray doesn't use the same philosophy and prefers sound positional play, active sticks and physical presence. In an odd twist, I think losing Chara, vastly overrated in my view, helped them. That meant they had to play more team D and the holdovers stepped up and the new guys like Corvo and Preissing stepped in nicely.

Buffalo has shortened the bench because the deeper in the playoffs you go, the more grinding style takes over and that often means closer games. I think they will continue to give their best 9 forwards the bulk of the ice time. I always thought it was funny when I heard how they were going to roll 4 lines, all night long, in every game in the playoffs. It just doesn't happen that way and highlights the difference between the regular season and the post season.

Though I rate Miller slightly higher than Emery, they are both streaky. The whole notion of who is hot though is often be dictated within a series not what was done in the prior one. For example, Cam Ward was very hot against Montreal, very solid against NJ and then very shaky in the third round against Buffalo. Had Gerber not tanked again after getting a shutout, Ward probably wouldn't have gotten back in. So the point is that things can turn in a hurry and with two young guys who tend to be up and down without significant playoff experience, it doesn't matter who played against who in the prior round or what their save % was. It's about this round's match-up.

I still think Ottawa is built better for the playoffs although I like what Zubrus has brought to Buffalo. Some people in Washington are wondering who he is because that is not the way he played there. Specialty teams will decide this one and that's why I favor the Sens.

Sens in 7. I don't think Miller will hold. His GAA is steadily reducing. The question is whether the Sens have the goalkeeping to match. If so, I think the series is theirs. All in all, I'm going to put my money on the sens.

Let's go sens!

His GAA is .928

Up until the last game is GAA was pretty good. He had one bad game and his GAA is slipping? Another thing. Most of the goals he allowed were on the Penalty Kill. But overall the entire team on the PK wasn't very good for Game 6. Miller has been stellar and a key reason the Sabres made it this far.

ya sure Miller's GAA is .928? u might wanna looks at save percentage.

Let's go sens!

His GAA is .928

ya sure Miller's GAA is .928? u might wanna looks at save percentage.

*SMACKS HEAD*

2.07 GAA.

That's still pretty good.

Ottowa in 6. I'm never wrong :)

Seriously, Sens have more balanced scoring in the playoffs. They'll put a lock on Buffalo's only goal scorer (Drury) and that will be it for Buffalo. Miller is better than Emery, lets not kid ourselves.

However, just like last year's playoffs Hecht has pulled a disappearing act, and Max just goes away after he gets hit. What a joke for him to get the game winner in OT vs NY when he was invisible all game. Playoff hockey is very different than Regular season, and Ottowa has the horses for Playoff hockey.

It should be an interesting series.

This could go either way. I expect a long series. But who knows. Last year I expecet the Sens to pound us but we won in 5. Maybe the Sens will choke again. Like they always do. ;)

My prediction: Sabres in 7

Dear Senators,

The time for action is NOW. The teams preceeding you let us down MIGHTILY. Our hopes rest in your hands.

SALT THE SLUGS !!!!!!

(Manwolf - you'd better be keeping your streak going or at the next tailgate we're going to have to take a paddle to ya, boy!)

(Manwolf - you'd better be keeping your streak going or at the next tailgate we're going to have to take a paddle to ya, boy!)

Has planning started for the next tailgate :)

Gonna be an awesome series.

This could go either way. I expect a long series. But who knows. Last year I expecet the Sens to pound us but we won in 5. Maybe the Sens will choke again. Like they always do. ;)

I'm not so sure I'd be throwing the "choke" word around so easily. Is there a black kettle somewhere up in Buffalo?

I'm not so sure I'd be throwing the "choke" word around so easily. Is there a black kettle somewhere up in Buffalo?