The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
goeb

Would canes bring Cullen back?

Well, we would probably move other players. Letowski and our cheap, but extraneous defensemen would do the trick. But it's unlikely. He's making a bit much for a third line role.

But yeah, the Rangers are going to have to move some salary, especially if they intend to re-sign Shanahan.

Maybe if we moved a forward out but his contract is steep for a third line guy. Here's a question, with the Rangers signing Gomez and Drury, can they afford to keep Shanahan too? Something has to give, up there in the Big Apple for them to be able to handle multiple high dollar long term contracts. Unless Shanahan renews for 1 year and the others have graduated contracts.

They may actually be forced to move Cullen the more I think about it.

Maybe if we moved a forward out but his contract is steep for a third line guy. Here's a question, with the Rangers signing Gomez and Drury, can they afford to keep Shanahan too? Something has to give, up there in the Big Apple for them to be able to handle multiple high dollar long term contracts. Unless Shanahan renews for 1 year and the others have graduated contracts.

They may actually be forced to move Cullen the more I think about it.

Well, we would probably move other players. Letowski and our cheap, but extraneous defensemen would do the trick. But it's unlikely. He's making a bit much for a third line role.

But yeah, the Rangers are going to have to move some salary, especially if they intend to re-sign Shanahan.

I'm not talking about on the roster...there's still one roster spot left. He just doesn't fit in the lineup. We signed Hamilton to center the third-line and have Ladd and Walker on the wing, so that leaves the fourth line for Cullen. It doesn't make sense unless you want to healthy scratch Ladd and pay Cullen triple his salary to play in the same spot, which is absolutely horrendous asset management.

Steep price for a 3rd line center? He makes like $2.7 million, by next year all 3rd liners might make that kind of dough. Move Hamilton to the 4th line, or Ladd to the 4th line and Cullen at 3rd and he'll man the PP. But hey, maybe maybe it isn't the best idea for the Canes.

I'm not talking about on the roster...there's still one roster spot left. He just doesn't fit in the lineup. We signed Hamilton to center the third-line and have Ladd and Walker on the wing, so that leaves the fourth line for Cullen. It doesn't make sense unless you want to healthy scratch Ladd and pay Cullen triple his salary to play in the same spot, which is absolutely horrendous asset management.

If Hamilton is set to be our third line center, our next move will be for a dman. Keep your eyes on Edmonton, I'm still gonna feel uneasy until I hear different.

Rangers will more than likely move Cullen since he's really the guy who makes the most sense. Just maybe not to us.

If all thrd line guys will be making around 2.7 in the coming years...1) we got our top six guys at a steal, and 2) Look for another lockout season soon.

If Hamilton is set to be our third line center, our next move will be for a dman. Keep your eyes on Edmonton, I'm still gonna feel uneasy until I hear different.

Rangers will more than likely move Cullen since he's really the guy who makes the most sense. Just maybe not to us.

If all thrd line guys will be making around 2.7 in the coming years...1) we got our top six guys at a steal, and 2) Look for another lockout season soon.

Between Cullen and Hamilton, why would you assume that Cullen would play on the fourth line. He would take the third line center position, the one he had with us before. Hamilton will take the fourth line assignment at his salary. Letowski being traded opens up the spot. Where's the problem? It's not an issue of roster space.

The problem is Cullen's salary. $2.8M for the next couple of seasons is a bit much than the Canes to spend there. Although, I guess it's not outrageous. But unlikely...

Hamilton is a center who can play the point on the powerplay. Why in the world would we sign him, then trade for someone making more than triple his salary to fill the same role?

It's not happening. This makes just as much sense as people suggesting we acquire Weekes, Ward, Gelinas, etc....IE none.

Hamilton is a center who can play the point on the powerplay. Why in the world would we sign him, then trade for someone making more than triple his salary to fill the same role?

It's not happening. This makes just as much sense as people suggesting we acquire Weekes, Ward, Gelinas, etc....IE none.

Cullen did not appear to be available, when we signed Hamilton. Hamilton is an upgrade on Letowski, but he is not a better player at the third line position than Cullen. We would take Cullen, even after we have Hamilton, because Cullen would be worth the extra money easily. Hamilton is cheap enough to allow us to assign him to the fourth line.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's worth exploring.

Look at this way, which tandem would you rather have for the third-fourth line centers? Cullen and Hamilton, or Hamilton and Letowski?

That would be so sick if Matt came back and maybe took a little pay cut but its not happening so we can throw this out the window

uhhh...if he goe son waivers, yea it would be a huge paycut for the Canes, but don't know fi the Rangers are gonna do that unless they are really desperate.

the only way i see this happening is if the Rags buyout Cullen and we sign him at a third line price.

I could see it...

the Rangers will be desperate to get rid of some players to dump salaries to get under the cap... Cullen will most likely be the logical choice because he's just too overpriced. However, the Canes know he's too expensive, but they'll probably get the Rangers to eat a portion of his salary so he isn't a big hit to our Cap, then we take him off their hands...

Rangers management seems pretty confident that they'll be able to re-sign Shanahan, Avery, and Lundqvist, even with the boatloads of money going to Drury and Gomez.

:lol:

and do what with the rest of the roster?

Rangers management seems pretty confident that they'll be able to re-sign Shanahan, Avery, and Lundqvist, even with the boatloads of money going to Drury and Gomez.

:lol:

and do what with the rest of the roster?

You mean there's more to their team that just the ones you listed?! :blink:

[/sarcasm]

I have a feeling Hamilton will flop, and by at LEAST the deadline, we'll be looking for someone to pick up the slack. If we want an offensive mind-set we need a 3rd line with a decent scoring threat. As for Cullen, I doubt it. Although, it could happen.

" Luke DeCock, Staff Writer

The Carolina Hurricanes have had a hole at the third-line center position since Matt Cullen left as a free agent last summer. The guy to fill that void may be the same one whose departure caused it in the first place.

The New York Rangers are prepared to dump Cullen's contract after shooting past the salary cap Wednesday, and Carolina could be a possible landing place.

The Rangers opened this summer's free-agent period by signing centers Scott Gomez and Chris Drury to lucrative free-agent contracts worth more than $14 million against the cap. That made Cullen expendable -- and unsure about his situation.

"It's hard to say, to be totally honest," Cullen said. "We've made some huge additions, and with the cap, it's hard to do everything that you want. It's hard for me to even know or have any idea of what could or may happen."

Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford declined to comment Wednesday on the possibility of Cullen returning to the Canes, but he acknowledged that the team is pursuing a third-line center.

Cullen had a career-high 25 goals and 49 points during his one season with the Hurricanes, helping them win the Stanley Cup.

He signed with the Rangers as a free agent in July 2006. He was less successful in New York, with 16 goals and 41 points in a lesser role than he played in Carolina.

After signing Brendan Shanahan to an incentive-laden contract worth $5.3 million against the cap and goalie Henrik Lundqvist to a one-year, $4.25 million contract Wednesday, the Rangers have a payroll of $51.6 million, well over the cap limit of $50.3 million.

Though they can clear $3 million by sending defenseman Darius Kasparaitis to the minors again, the Rangers still have a few players to re-sign and may like to dabble further in the free-agent market. To do that, they need to dump salary in a hurry.

Cullen has three years left on his contract at $2.8 million per season, with a cap value of $2.875 million. Last summer, with all but 10 players to re-sign after the Cup championship, the Canes wouldn't match New York's four-year offer to Cullen.

Cullen makes more than the Canes had budgeted to spend at the third-line center position -- they signed free-agent center Jeff Hamilton to a two-year deal worth $800,000 this month -- but owner Peter Karmanos said he'd go over his $44 million budget if the right player came along.

If the Canes could shed some lesser salaries in the deal -- perhaps Trevor Letowski, who has one year left on his contract at $800,000 but would be behind Cullen and Hamilton on the depth chart -- they would have to bust their budget only by about $400,000.

Carolina also has restricted free-agent defenseman Anton Babchuk to offer. There were no takers when the Canes dangled him for a second-round pick before the draft. "

Verrry interesting...

Cole - Staal - Stillman

Walker - Brind'Amour - Whitney

Ladd - Cullen - Williams

LaRose - Hamilton - C.Adams

does this line up look vaguely familiar? 'cause with the exception of the additions of Walker and Hamilton that's pretty much the forward lineup that won us the cup - with notable additions/line changes to various players due to injury etc. of course but....