The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
goeb

Would canes bring Cullen back?

I don't care what anyone says, I want Culen back, I wanna drop Letowski and Babchuk too and then i'd ask Hedican what he wanted to do.

oh absolutely... Babchuck has done his NHL career in... nobody'd trade a bag of pucks for him... Letowski's a wait and see thing - he may yet recover from that concussion and you have to admit he was doing ok before then. Hedican I think will come back, have a decent year then retire gracefully on a pleasant note (and I hope he does have a good year)

I don't care what anyone says, I want Culen back, I wanna drop Letowski and Babchuk too and then i'd ask Hedican what he wanted to do.

babs would work because he would be zero dollar cap hit and letowski would only be $800k so that would give the rags $2mil of room.

Here's more fuel to the fire from the NY Daily News...

"The Daily News also has learned that Sather is shopping center Matt Cullen, with a trade back to the Carolina Hurricanes very much on the front burner. Should the Rangers shed Cullen's contract (three years left at $2.8million per), they'd trim nearly $3million from this season's cap hit."

He fits the system here obviously but it's still overpaying and who knows if he can re-produce what he did here since it was a career year. It also makes for some potential controversy because Hamilton was told he would be the 3rd line center and he wouldn't be with Cullen back.

If he got bought-out, I would take advantage of his availability but this could be dicey if not handled correctly especially since it upsets the payroll balance. If the Canes sputter again this season, salaries will get moved and that means a familiar name will get sent packing.

This isn't exactly a no-brainer. If Hedican ultimately can't go it makes it easier on the overall payroll and you have settled some of the logjam on the blueline but it hasn't gotten better. If it were me, I'd still look at this as a nice to make move but another D-man would be my more pressing priority.

Defense hasn't exactly been the problem the last 2 years. We gave up 253 goals this year, 260 in th 05-06 cup run. BUT,we scored 294 goals that year, compared to last years 241. So, more offense definitely woulnd't be a bad thing either. So if no new D, I'm ok with that.

2.8 million is a bit much, especially if we can get somewhat comparable results with Hamilton. All the same, I would love to see Cullen back. It would definetly add a lot to our team, even if it meant moving Hamilton back to fourth line.

I'd feel bad for Hammy. Was told you were going to center the 3rd line, and now you might be moved back to 4th line. Granted, he's not a star player who's missing out in 1/2 line minutes, but it's like being told you're getting a promotion and then hearing that the boss might re-hire the guy that "quit". :( lol

I'd feel bad for Hammy. Was told you were going to center the 3rd line, and now you might be moved back to 4th line. Granted, he's not a star player who's missing out in 1/2 line minutes, but it's like being told you're getting a promotion and then hearing that the boss might re-hire the guy that "quit". :( lol

But the thing is, Laviolette isn't one of those coaches who plays the 1st line for 80% of the game. The third line and fourth line have little difference in playing time, especially since Laviolette switches around lines frequently.

I highly doubt that anyone told Hamilton all he will be doing is playing 3rd line. He knows what skills he has that are useful and I don't think he's going to be offended if we move him to 4th line. Plus, here, people love the 4th liners and have just as much faith in them as we do the rest of the lines.

I highly doubt that anyone told Hamilton all he will be doing is playing 3rd line. He knows what skills he has that are useful and I don't think he's going to be offended if we move him to 4th line. Plus, here, people love the 4th liners and have just as much faith in them as we do the rest of the lines.

I agree with you about the 4th line part but Hamilton signed here because he was getting a solid 3rd line position.

"This was just a perfect opportunity for me," Hamilton said Sunday evening. "Especially for a player like me, if they're going to put me on the third line at center, that shows they want me."

No matter how much fans love him, ultimately he came here to do a job that now might be filled.

Honestly I don't think moving Hamilton to the 4th line would disrupt the locker room. I'm sure JR laid it out to me. And he will be more than a 4th line center. He will be on the PP, he can move to wing if need be, and he can step up to that 3rd line center role if, hope this doens't happen, Staal or Brindy get injured. Hamilton is a very versatile player.

And really, do you think he will be upset at not being 3rd line center if they make the playoffs. Something he has yet to experience. I think he will be excited playing for a team that can actually compete.

EDIT: And its not like Lavi shows favoritism either. And I do recall LaRose and Adams going up against a teams' top lines a few games. On this team if your on the 4th line, you don't feel like your getting shafted. Atleast that's my take.

Either way...in the end if we need to find someone who can reliably play 3rd line Hamilton doesn't really have a say if we do that.

I wouldn't be suprised if Hamilton was included in a deal to get Cullen. Letowski is fine on the 4th line and we don't need a fourth line center that feels he has been demoted.

I doubt that. Hamilton is much more versitile than Letowski and can play QB on the PP. Much more value for his $800,000

I wouldn't be suprised if Hamilton was included in a deal to get Cullen. Letowski is fine on the 4th line and we don't need a fourth line center that feels he has been demoted.

I would rather have a fourth line center who can put the puck in the net, regardless of how he feels. For the same salary, its not a hard choice. You pick Hamilton over Letowski any day of the week.

I think i'd be a good idea to trade Babs and Letowski because it wouldn't cost the rangers too much... and we need Cullen back!

I thought babchuk was gone? he went back to his country to play hockey...

but yeah i want cullen back too, hes amazing, no matter what anyone says

Nope, lets break it down:

Letowski

can play wing

Hamilton:

can play center

can play wing

can play the point on the PP

has success in the SO

I'll take Hamilton's $800K any day of Letwoski.

And seriously are we talking about hurting the guys feelings. Their grown men, this is a business and I'm sure they all want what's best for the team. If bringing Cullen back raises our chances at making the playoffs, i'm sure the guy isn't going to be upset.

Also, Lavi doesn't use the # thing with his lines. He'll never say my 1st line or my 3rd line. Its Staa'ls Line or Brindy's line. Lavi is one of those coaches that makes everyone a part of the team whether your on the so called 4th line or the 1st line.

I think i'd be a good idea to trade Babs and Letowski because it wouldn't cost the rangers too much... and we need Cullen back!

I thought babchuk was gone? he went back to his country to play hockey...

but yeah i want cullen back too, hes amazing, no matter what anyone says

He is gone but we still hold his rights and can trade those. He doesn't play in the nhl unless it's for the team that holds his rights.

I am surprised no one has mentioned that Cullen helps us on Shoot outs as well. Something the Hurricanes had a hard time with last year. Cullen and Hamilton in that role would be good.

You need to understand it this way, in the scheme of things we really don't have or don't want a number 1 line!! What won us the cup (per the hockey experts) is that we didn't have the typical 1, 2, 3, 4 lines. WE HAD 4 NUMBER TWO LINES!! That is what made us so dangerous, no matter what "Line" Lavi rolled they were playing up against our number two line as far as skills and threat.

You need to understand it this way, in the scheme of things we really don't have or don't want a number 1 line!! What won us the cup (per the hockey experts) is that we didn't have the typical 1, 2, 3, 4 lines. WE HAD 4 NUMBER TWO LINES!! That is what made us so dangerous, no matter what "Line" Lavi rolled they were playing up against our number two line as far as skills and threat.

Exactly. Thats what I was trying to say earlier. Really there is no difference between what you would call our "3rd line" and our "4th line". They all get similar playing time, and they all get equal treatment. But seriously, you dont make serious decisions based on whether or not you will hurt a players feelings because he didnt get to play on a certain line.

I don't think it was as much that as it was that our first and second lines were so productive that they covered up the fact that our third and fourth lines changed game-by-game. Andrew Ladd, Craig Adams, Jesse Boulerice, Kevyn Adams, Matt Cullen, Michael Zigomanis, Niklas Nordgren, and Radim Vrbata all spent time on the third and fourth lines that season. What helped is that we normally double-shifted either Eric Staal or Rod Brind'Amour to play with the fourth-line. Hopefully, we won't need to do that as much this year.

:P

This is the best news of the offseason for the Canes imo. If we get Cullen back,, and keep Hamilton you can probably give us at least 2 more wins via shootouts this year.

Suddenly we have a 2nd line Center if one gets hurt (Cullen can move up - Hamilton probably could also but Cullen would be more ready to step up), multiple PP lines with QB's on them to distribute the puck. I like this move a lot, as long as our cap hit is not too big. Cullen getting as many points as he did last year in a more limited role, and being in the dog house the first half of the year bodes well for his potential with us.

and... suddenly we've got the weapons again to tilt the ice and take pressure off our D-men and young goalie.

Anyone else up for seeing 40 shots on goal again? I am.

Bring Cullen back! I still don't understand how or why they let him go last year. With all the shuffling around and money spent last year (which didn't work out so well for us), we could have kept him. Whatever the cost, he was a great asset to the 'Canes.