The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
goeb

Would canes bring Cullen back?

2.8 mil for a 3rd line center... that should be enough said but for some reason it isnt in these parts.

2.8 is just about the average GAA of our two goalies last year and NEITHER were even in the top 15 goalies in the league.

It's very hard to score 300 goals a year guys, it's very easy to let up 300. We can either try to gain a defensemen at 2.8 mil who can help get our GAA down. Or stack 3 lines again and hope we just flat out outscore everyone. We're losing 4-1 and its the 3rd period with 5 minutes to go? it's ok we can score 6 goals by the flip of a switch.... That doesnt happen every year guys.

You fans of the team prior to our cup year should know better then that.

We need to do something about defense, not our 10 minute a game 3rd line center.

Unless we get a defenseman and a young one at that whose got promise in the deal....why? Just why would we do that?

Matt Cullen and Paul Mara?

are you aware that is close to $6mil in salaries going our way!!

Legend wanted him, not me. When you consider what we would likely give to the New York Rangers for Matt Cullen, they don't have any reason to throw in a defensive prospect. We'd be lucky to dump Anton Babchuk and Trevor Letowski to get Matt Cullen, Rangers will still probably want either a draft pick or a prospect. Rutherford will probably give it to them to.

2.8 mil for a 3rd line center... that should be enough said but for some reason it isnt in these parts.

2.8 is just about the average GAA of our two goalies last year and NEITHER were even in the top 15 goalies in the league.

It's very hard to score 300 goals a year guys, it's very easy to let up 300. We can either try to gain a defensemen at 2.8 mil who can help get our GAA down. Or stack 3 lines again and hope we just flat out outscore everyone. We're losing 4-1 and its the 3rd period with 5 minutes to go? it's ok we can score 6 goals by the flip of a switch.... That doesnt happen every year guys.

You fans of the team prior to our cup year should know better then that.

We need to do something about defense, not our 10 minute a game 3rd line center.

Unless we get a defenseman and a young one at that whose got promise in the deal....why? Just why would we do that?

Then please contact Mr. Rutherford and tell him he's foolish for talking with the Rags re: Cullen since both the NY and Carolina papers are reporting that talks are happening.

And whether it's Walker or Ladd, someone with a cap hit of over 1.8M is going to be playing on the third line next season. Why is it so outlandish, given the payroll we currently have, the roster we currently have, the needs we currently have, and the current state of the market, to also pay Cullen 2.8? People were furious around these parts when Todd White got 2.4M for 4 years because that was "right in our price range" and we didn't make a push for him. I'd certainly rather have Cullen at 2.8 for 3 years than White at 2.4 for 4 years.

And for at least the hundreth time, our defense wasn't the primary difference in 05-06 vs. 06-07. We allowed 253 goals during the regular season in 05-06, and 239 in the regular season in 06-07. Compare that to the 286 we scored in 05-06 vs. the 241 we scored in 06-07. Given that data, I find it exceptionally difficult to believe that our problem last year was on defense. Our problem was the 45 goals we didn't score because we went two lines deep and our power play sucked.

Then please contact Mr. Rutherford and tell him he's foolish for talking with the Rags re: Cullen since both the NY and Carolina papers are reporting that talks are happening.

And whether it's Walker or Ladd, someone with a cap hit of over 1.8M is going to be playing on the third line next season. Why is it so outlandish, given the payroll we currently have, the roster we currently have, the needs we currently have, and the current state of the market, to also pay Cullen 2.8? People were furious around these parts when Todd White got 2.4M for 4 years because that was "right in our price range" and we didn't make a push for him. I'd certainly rather have Cullen at 2.8 for 3 years than White at 2.4 for 4 years.

And for at least the hundreth time, our defense wasn't the primary difference in 05-06 vs. 06-07. We allowed 253 goals during the regular season in 05-06, and 239 in the regular season in 06-07. Compare that to the 286 we scored in 05-06 vs. the 241 we scored in 06-07. Given that data, I find it exceptionally difficult to believe that our problem last year was on defense. Our problem was the 45 goals we didn't score because we went two lines deep and our power play sucked.

Your right, we just didn't score worth a damn. I lose track of the number of nights i saw Staal skating around looking at the lights. If we scored as many goals last year as we did prior but only allowed what we did last year we would have been back to back champs.

If anything other than spare parts goes to NY for Cullen, I'll be irritated. NY is having to deal from necessity. Unless someone else out there wants Cullen and his contract, JR should wait utill NY is desperate enough to trade a bad contract and something worth something, like a prospect or pick to the Canes. Otherwise they might just cut him and the canes can get him at the price they want.

If anything other than spare parts goes to NY for Cullen, I'll be irritated. NY is having to deal from necessity. Unless someone else out there wants Cullen and his contract, JR should wait utill NY is desperate enough to trade a bad contract and something worth something, like a prospect or pick to the Canes. Otherwise they might just cut him and the canes can get him at the price they want.

they can't cut him, it will still be a cap hit!! they need to trade him for a babchuk, someone that will likely not play in the NHL. They have to have cap space.

I don't want Cullen simply because of what that contract will do to us in the future. I'd much rather play the season with Hamilton as the third line center and then be able to go after Liles in the offseason. I wouldn't want to tie up all that money for 3 more years. Could really leave us in a tight spot when it comes time to re-sign guys.

No, they cannot just cut him. If they do that, they accelerate the very cap hit they are trying to avoid. They must trade him and have someone else take his cap hit. I don't think that will be too difficult, however, especially given that some teams need to add salary just to make it to the league payroll floor.

That said, I agree that we aren't going to be giving anything of value up to get him if we do. Maybe Babchuk, a late pick, or Hutch/Letowski at most.

they can't cut him, it will still be a cap hit!! they need to trade him for a babchuk, someone that will likely not play in the NHL. They have to have cap space.

True they'll waive him before they buy him out, and someone will claim him then since his contract will be reduced. But he could potentially be had for less than even Babchuck if the Rangers have a hard time finding takers. If JR's on top of his game he'll wait to pull the trigger on anything.

I don't know why everyone is so worried about Matt Cullen's contract. We just signed a second-line 35-year-old left-winger to a $3.5 million contract and a third-line 33-year-old right-winger to a $2.5 million contract, $2.8 million for a third-line 30-year-old center is right up our alley.

I think his point was that if you could only make one move, the addition of a reliable, puck-moving defender could improve the team better than the upgrade you would get going from Hamilton to Cullen. Neither guy is a lock to match or exceed their career years so is the $2 million addition worth the risk of keeping a mediocre, and arguably declining D in place unchanged?

Your stats are all well and fine but they don't tell the whole story. The Canes won the Cup not because of offense or balanced lines but because of two of the most variable aspects - goaltending and PP production. Strong defense is much less variable and wins you championships when the other areas aren't clicking fully. To think the Canes can make the playoffs and then go deep with this D is hard to envision without the unlikely reoccurrence of Ward standing on his head and the PP going lights out. People seem to forget that the Canes even strength scoring was not there in the playoffs but the PP was on fire.

I just don't understand why some are so against bringing Cullen back and let me explain why.

1) before July 1st, JR said that he has $2.5 million to spend on a Free Agent 3rd line center. He also stated that if they could get the 'right' guy, they could increase their budget.

JR was willing to spend $2.5 on a guy that has NOT played in this system before. But yet, when talk of possibly bringing Cullen back for an extra $300K, who has been in this system and who has proven himself in this system, its a travesty and not in the budget. Even though JR said they could increase the budget for the right player. Is he going to increase it by a million, no, but increasing the budget an extra $300-400K I don't think is going to hold JR down.

2) Todd White signed for $2.4 million and how many said 'that's in our price range, can't believe JR didn't sign him'.

We all agreed the 4 years is too much for White, but JR would probably have offered 2 years, right. So we get an extra year with Cullen.

And i know some are worried about the budget in future years. While Cullen is on contract for that $2.8 here's whose contracts expires:

2008 Free Agents:

Stillman, Letowski, Hedican, Wesley, Commie, Hutch

2008 RFA:

Ladd, LaRose, Seidenberg

Letwoski won't be back. Hedican and Wesley will retire. Commie will stay with a raise. Hutch maybe gone depending on Hedican and wesley. LaRose and Seidenberg will get QAs.

Now whose to say Stillman doesn't take a home team discount. Or whose to say Ladd has a break out year and JR decides to move him up with Staal next season. Something that they have said since they drafted him that they eventually want him playing with Staal. Whose to say that's not in their plans for next season.

2009 Free Agents:

Cole, Hamilton, Adams

2009 RFA:

Staal

Staal will be taken care of 1st. Then Cole if JR and Cole can come to an agreement. We all know how hard negotiations are with Cole (still love him though). Adams will be signed as he'll still be cheap.

2010 Free Agents;

Whitney, Walker, Kaberle, Wallin

2010 RFA:

Cam

Whitney and Walker might have enough and decide to retire. If not, well their not gonna cost us $2.5 and $3.5 as they will be older and won't be worth that much. Wallin may go back to Swedan. Cam will be re-signed.

I know if any of these guys retire we will have to fill in their spots, but if JR was willing to spend $2.5 million on a 3rd line center and said he could increase the budget for the 'right' player, I don't see that increasing it $400,000 is going to strap JR down. JR and PK know how much money they have and if they say they can increase the budget, then they can.

And honestly I don't think JR would do it unless he was absolutely sure he could.

Holy crap guys, if Cully comes back I almost envision the 2005-06 season all over again but whats scary is, I think we'd be even STRONGER than we were that season.

:o

BRING BACK #8

Dumb question here... but back when we got Whitney, detroit still payed some of his salary, right? Would that be an option for the rags or does that still count towards your cap limit?

Dumb question here... but back when we got Whitney, detroit still payed some of his salary, right? Would that be an option for the rags or does that still count towards your cap limit?

it is called a buyout and would still count against their cap amount, it would help a bit but the need a lot of help. They need to unload ALL of Cullen's salary not just a portion.

I think his point was that if you could only make one move, the addition of a reliable, puck-moving defender could improve the team better than the upgrade you would get going from Hamilton to Cullen. Neither guy is a lock to match or exceed their career years so is the $2 million addition worth the risk of keeping a mediocre, and arguably declining D in place unchanged?

Your stats are all well and fine but they don't tell the whole story. The Canes won the Cup not because of offense or balanced lines but because of two of the most variable aspects - goaltending and PP production. Strong defense is much less variable and wins you championships when the other areas aren't clicking fully. To think the Canes can make the playoffs and then go deep with this D is hard to envision without the unlikely reoccurrence of Ward standing on his head and the PP going lights out. People seem to forget that the Canes even strength scoring was not there in the playoffs but the PP was on fire.

Thank you sir.

We got 3 lines of offense and maybe 1 defensive pairing that isnt completely unproven. Hedican may not make it through the year, Seidenberg needs to prove he's worth something, Wesley is as smart of a d-man as they get but he was really getting dominated along the boards last year cause hes getting older, Commodore lead the d in scoring which is good but he also pinched so deep (I know the team plan is to pinch) but he never gets back in time, Kaberle is capable of being great but he also just like Stillman has to find himself again.

Leaves me with my brightspot. Gleason, I expect a great year from him as for the rest of them I see 5 D-men with ?'s for nameplates on thier jersey's right now as to what is actually going to happen.

The D-man I felt did the best wasnt even given an offer, but we should worry about bringing in a 2.8 mil 3rd line center when 2.8 mil could sign Tanabe easily and use him on the first or 2nd pairing. Which is 2.8 mil for a 15-16 minute player as opposed to a 8-10 minute player.

Also alot of replies are assuming that I wanted Todd White at 2.4, Uh, no thats just as stupid if not more. Just because 90% of the board said it doesnt mean I did.

For the person that replied to me that Matt Cullen was only 3 for X in shootouts for the Rags....

That only means that Matt Cullen scored 3 Times as many times as the ENTIRE Hurricanes team did in shootouts.

Nuff said.

Bring him in,

Try to work a trade for a DMan.

my two cents.

For the person that replied to me that Matt Cullen was only 3 for X in shootouts for the Rags....

That only means that Matt Cullen scored 3 Times as many times as the ENTIRE Hurricanes team did in shootouts.

Nuff said.

Bring him in,

my two cents.

A-men Bring him back

Nuff said.

Bring him in,

my two cents.

So we're supposed to trade for Cullen and another defenseman? No matter who goes the other way we're gonna see salary increases that would probably put us further over the budget than we'd be willing to be.

Leaves me with my brightspot. Gleason, I expect a great year from him as for the rest of them I see 5 D-men with ?'s for nameplates on thier jersey's right now as to what is actually going to happen.

The D-man I felt did the best wasnt even given an offer, but we should worry about bringing in a 2.8 mil 3rd line center when 2.8 mil could sign Tanabe easily and use him on the first or 2nd pairing. Which is 2.8 mil for a 15-16 minute player as opposed to a 8-10 minute player.

1) I totally agree with Gleason. I still think he can develop into an Allstar Blueliner if he reaches his potential.

2) While I was a Board Member of the "OMG they brought Tanabe back here?" Club he did a very good job for us and I am still eating crow to this day. Still Tanabe was out of position 70% of the time on the cycle when the puck went to the boards and drifted all the way back to our zone. He's got some learning to do, but on the cycle it became obvious too many teams they could send the puck down the boards on him and he was a step to far in to head it off very often.

We've got a lot of "ifs" on defense. If Kab is healthy now, if Wesley doesnt lose much more speed, if Hedican can play the full year, if Commie can regain some toughness he had in 05-06' that was missing in 06'-07'.

I'd like to see us try to deal Hutch to a team needing cap space for a hardnose defensemen for a bit more money. If we get Cullen, and Kab is healthy, suddenly yet another offensive defenseman that is below average defensively is not needed.

So we're supposed to trade for Cullen and another defenseman? No matter who goes the other way we're gonna see salary increases that would probably put us further over the budget than we'd be willing to be.

If the Rags need cap space, we don't have to trade them much to get Cullen, and ya trade for a Dman. See the next post i made.

What the Canes really need is a young-stud defenseman. A can't miss prospect to build the defense around for the next 5-7 years.

Oh wait, we already traded one away for pennies on the dollar in a move of desparation last off season.

I still can't believe the Canes traded away J Johnson.

What the Canes really need is a young-stud defenseman. A can't miss prospect to build the defense around for the next 5-7 years.

Oh wait, we already traded one away for pennies on the dollar in a move of desparation last off season.

I still can't believe the Canes traded away J Johnson.

A-men

The JJ trade has been hashed out a million times and I suspect it will be brought up a million more. JJ didn't want to play here as was shown by his turning down multiple contract offers from the canes. JR himself said he took the best deal available. It's over and done, let it go.

Well until the Canes have a young "franchise" d-man in the fold, the trade is going to be difficult to swallow. They don't grow on trees...

Considering the Canes have never had one in all the years of their existence (including the Hartford days), I will always consider this a mistake. Oh yeah, they had a young Chris Pronger and JR also traded him away because he lost patience.