The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
david_iann

Hurricanes Acquire Matt Cullen from NY Rangers

And people over on HF thought I was nuts. I told them that if JR feels its in the budget and won't affect retaining his core group, he'll do it.

Welcome Home Matt.

We basically have our cup team now. He's a bit expensive for his points total but his speed and shootout abilities are great assets. Maybe we'll actually win a few shootouts next year with Hamilton and Cullen.

Everyone seems to think we got such a great steal of a deal but they're all just mentioning Hutch. Don't forget we gave up a good prospect in Joe Barnes and a third round pick next summer. Our system can't exactly afford to be giving away picks and prospects. I'm glad to see Cullen back but we overpayed.

We basically have our cup team now. He's a bit expensive for his points total but his speed and shootout abilities are great assets. Maybe we'll actually win a few shootouts next year with Hamilton and Cullen.

Cullen wasn't that great last year on the shootout, but all the same I am happy about this trade. Im just glad we didnt give up much.

To get someone you know can contribute in this system, is happy here and shares chemistry with the team cannot be expressed in dollars and cents.

Lets go get back that CUP!

PS I do realize this is a 3rd line center we just got back. He can and did contribute in many ways to this team. Making other teams play against your 3rd line can wear them down like we did in the cup run. How many games did we win by force of will in the 3rd period after tiring them out?. Last year the 3rd line just did not inspire the otyher teams to fear it.

To get someone you know can contribute in this system, is happy here and shares chemistry with the team cannot be expressed in dollars and cents.

Lets go get back that CUP!

PS I do realize this is a 3rd line center we just got back. He can and did contribute in many ways to this team. Making other teams play against your 3rd line can wear them down like we did in the cup run. How many games did we win by force of will in the 3rd period after tiring them out?. Last year the 3rd line just did not inspire the otyher teams to fear it.

Exactly, Cullen is a known comodity, not like getting some big name UFA that we wouldn't be sure would fit with the team. Very wise move.

And people over on HF thought I was nuts. I told them that if JR feels its in the budget and won't affect retaining his core group, he'll do it.

Welcome Home Matt.

I noticed some here were busting on Eklund when he was the first to forecast the move. Flyers haters tend to lose perspective here. ;)

Everyone seems to think we got such a great steal of a deal but they're all just mentioning Hutch. Don't forget we gave up a good prospect in Joe Barnes and a third round pick next summer. Our system can't exactly afford to be giving away picks and prospects. I'm glad to see Cullen back but we overpayed.

I'd rather have just given Hutch and the pick, but with the drafting of Sutter and we already have hughes, Barnes kind of moves down the prospect list as far as centers go.

Maybe i missed it but just curious, is this a one year deal or what? I havent seen anything so i didnt know.

WB MATT!!!!! :lol::lol::P:blink:

we picked up the remaining portion of his contract.....3 years at 2.88 mil cap hit per year....

this doesnt make sense.....lock the longer thread? use the shrter one?

This makes about as much sense to you as it does to me for someone to make a thread about a topic that already has a thread for it before they post. I keep the oldest open & close what was started after the first, & this one was posted first.

On w/ the discussion about Matt coming back.

Hot dang, this is great!

Not a bad price, considering we are now stocked at center. we have a franchise center, a future hall of fame center, two very servicable centers, one we know and one with a lot of upside, and a high quality prospect. I don't think we needed the kid we sent to the rangers.

I like Hutchinson, but it's not like he was getting loads of playing time. However, there is now even more of a need for a puck-moving defenseman who can QB the power play.

Thank you JR!!!Glad he didn't slip away again! Put some Cullen back into the Canes chemistry!!!Thats a solid full 3 rotating lines that can score and our 4th line isn't looking bad at all.Alot harder to stop 3 to 4 very good lines than just 1 or 2 good lines!!

why'd the one with 2 pages get locked and this one doesn't even have one page?..

but it's crazy to think that our fourth line center is capable of scoring 20 goals. this is a great move.

BTW i rounded up some clips and made this vid to welcome Cully back..

Stillman/Staal/Cole (oh boy! - a healthy stillman feeding Staal sick passes while Cole crunches opposin players behind the net)

Wizard/Brindy/Williams

Ladd/Cullen/Walker

Adams/Hamilton/Larose (the new improved law firm)

That's a damn good offense.

this is great!!! this made my day!!! the offense last year struggled generating scoring chances a lot of times. you could see how the loss of cullen as a playmaker really hurt the team. it affected everyone else. guys struggled to create one-on-one. cullen brings that back to us now. this is great. so now we have centers for all of our lines. 3 really potent scoring lines. now someone shore up the D. i'm glad to see hutchinson gone too. i never liked his game.

Happy to have him back because he is undeniably a good player, but 2.8 mil for a 3rd line player still makes no sense given the questionable defense.