The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
david_iann

Hurricanes Acquire Matt Cullen from NY Rangers

I do feel kinda worrisome about our defense in the upcoming years with this deal, especially with Hedican and Wesley most likely gone at the end of this upcoming season... We're going to be very thin for a while, but hey, if Ward plays like he should, it shouldn't be that much of a worry in the future.

I totally agree with giving up Barnes, though. With the drafting of Sutter, he became expendable, especially if we were bringing in someone who we know can contribute in this offense. Great move by JR, IMHO... Also, Brindy might not have that many years left, so Cullen could very well be a $2.8 million 2nd line center by the time his contract is up... thats extremely cheap...

Now we just gotta look for some more defensive help (if we can find any) and we'll be set....

I myself think that Cullen may be a 3rd liner on paper but he can fill in on either of the 1st 2 lines at anytime.He has shown here in the past that he can play with any of our lines no matter what number you want to call them.I am not concerned about his numbers from last year with the Rangers.Different system,different coaches,we all know what he did here for us, so last yr to me is a non factor,accept for the money end ,but would should have done more to keep him, in the 1st place,,,IMO

This is a great move because we now have insurance with Hamilton just in case someone on the top 3 lines goes down with an injury. Even though some of you said our defense doesn't look that bad it would be nice to see JR make one more trade to add a top pairing defenseman then I believe the canes would be set for the opener against Montreal.

This is a great move because we now have insurance with Hamilton just in case someone on the top 3 lines goes down with an injury. Even though some of you said our defense doesn't look that bad it would be nice to see JR make one more trade to add a top pairing defenseman then I believe the canes would be set for the opener against Montreal.

We were in serious trouble if we were expecting Hamilton to be our 3rd line center fix...

Now putting him in on the 4th line or just added depth makes much more sense...

Fantastic move. Sounds like Cullen liked his time here and will be jazzed to be back. I'm not buying the "paid too much" line of thinking. Remember, we're also getting a cog that works smoothly with the machine here. Those kind of intangibles are invaluable. I think we're a major player in the East again.

Adams/Hamilton/Larose (the new improved law firm)

That's awesome. Can we start calling that line The Law Firm?

I do feel kinda worrisome about our defense in the upcoming years with this deal, especially with Hedican and Wesley most likely gone at the end of this upcoming season... We're going to be very thin for a while, but hey, if Ward plays like he should, it shouldn't be that much of a worry in the future.

I totally agree with giving up Barnes, though. With the drafting of Sutter, he became expendable, especially if we were bringing in someone who we know can contribute in this offense. Great move by JR, IMHO... Also, Brindy might not have that many years left, so Cullen could very well be a $2.8 million 2nd line center by the time his contract is up... thats extremely cheap...

Now we just gotta look for some more defensive help (if we can find any) and we'll be set....

Eric Staal will be retired LONG before Brindy hangs it up. We'll have to pry the barbells from his cold, dead hands at age 97.

I do feel kinda worrisome about our defense in the upcoming years with this deal, especially with Hedican and Wesley most likely gone at the end of this upcoming season...

You hit the nail on the head- Cullen's a nice little player, but this sounds like a Flyers contract deal. I don't like it...

I do feel kinda worrisome about our defense in the upcoming years with this deal, especially with Hedican and Wesley most likely gone at the end of this upcoming season...

You hit the nail on the head- Cullen's a nice little player, but this sounds like a Flyers contract deal. I don't like it...

$2.8 million for someone you know will contribute to the team because he's done it in the past is a good deal IMHO... Especially when you see that the superstar players in this league are now making $6-$7 million per season... Face it, the value of players in this league is MUCH higher than most of you all want to believe. There is a reason JR is willing to pay Cullen $2.8 million per year for the next 3 and thats because he knows the guy is worth it...

I'd rather pay $2.8 million and upgrade the team than sit stagnant with what we had, especially if it doesn't even come close to breaking the bank...

$2.8 million for someone you know will contribute to the team because he's done it in the past is a good deal IMHO... Especially when you see that the superstar players in this league are now making $6-$7 million per season... Face it, the value of players in this league is MUCH higher than most of you all want to believe. There is a reason JR is willing to pay Cullen $2.8 million per year for the next 3 and thats because he knows the guy is worth it...

I'd rather pay $2.8 million and upgrade the team than sit stagnant with what we had, especially if it doesn't even come close to breaking the bank...

Make a note of this day Model!! For once I agree with you!! Cullen is a known commodity for this team, this isn't like taking a gamble on Anson Carter or Belanger.

I noticed some here were busting on Eklund when he was the first to forecast the move. Flyers haters tend to lose perspective here. ;)

He wasn't the first to forecast it though. He regurgitated other sources well after initial reports got traction, while continuing to float Cole rumors.

He actually claimed Cullen was going to St. Louis. In that case he was the first to forecast that nonsense. ;)

The jury will be out on this move for a while. I've always like his skating, versatility and speed but he is wildly inconsistent - 19 games without a goal while here the first time.

One potential difference though from his last time around is that he developed into a decent 2nd unit PK guy in NY. That was the one area I didn't like in Hamilton's game, i.e., another PK center who could win a draw. It remains to be seen how much PK time he sees here since he rarely saw any before. It's an interesting possibility though.

Eric Staal will be retired LONG before Brindy hangs it up. We'll have to pry the barbells from his cold, dead hands at age 97.

LOL!

I am reminded of Justice Thurgood Marshall, who was once asked when he would leave the Supreme Court. "When my term is up," responded Marshall. (Supreme Court justices serve for life or until they leave of their own accord).

Asked when that would be, he responded: "When I am found dead, in bed, at the age of 97, shot by a jealous husband."

Man I really like this, I've been trolling around on the internet for the past few days waiting to see "Carolina Hurricanes aquire Matt Cullen from NY Rangers" and when I came to ch.com this morning I yelled WE GOT MATT CULLEN BACK WOOO HOO

Welcome back the "True" #8 in the hearts and minds of Hurricanes fans

We basically have our cup team now. He's a bit expensive for his points total but his speed and shootout abilities are great assets. Maybe we'll actually win a few shootouts next year with Hamilton and Cullen.

Not quite. Rechi and Weight were vital contributors to the cup team, however I do like Cullen coming back. That gives us 3 top lines and a 4th line that's not too shabby either. I am glad we made this move. I had questioned all along if Hamilton was our 3rd line center answer and now I have my answer.

That really leaves Letwoski on the outside looking in. Wonder what we would have to package with him to make a nice "D" trade?

I just saw this on WRAL. I can't friken beleive it. This is AWESOME! I was really hoping this would happen and it did. We have a terrific team this year....I can't wait till the season starts.

WELCOME HOME MATT!!!!!

The jury will be out on this move for a while. I've always like his skating, versatility and speed but he is wildly inconsistent - 19 games without a goal while here the first time.

One potential difference though from his last time around is that he developed into a decent 2nd unit PK guy in NY. That was the one area I didn't like in Hamilton's game, i.e., another PK center who could win a draw. It remains to be seen how much PK time he sees here since he rarely saw any before. It's an interesting possibility though.

I think the Kevyn Adams trade last spring, makes the possibility of Cullen playing on the PK happen. I would think a large reason he wouldn't have been used in that role durring his first stent is that Adams was entrenched as the 2nd draw guy for the PK. With Cullen's speed he would be a good threat to score a shorty.

This is great news......best thing I've seen all summer. With Matt and Hammy we are almost inury proof. Now we need a lil bit of help with the D....and yeah, I'd welcome Aaron Ward home back too.

OK J R.......you're back in my good graces again.

I think the Kevyn Adams trade last spring, makes the possibility of Cullen playing on the PK happen. I would think a large reason he wouldn't have been used in that role durring his first stent is that Adams was entrenched as the 2nd draw guy for the PK. With Cullen's speed he would be a good threat to score a shorty.

No doubt he would be a threat and he played more solidly on the PK than I thought he would in NY. He barely got a sniff here on the PK even when Brindy or K. Adams was in the box so there was something the coaches found lacking. He was entrusted on the forward point on the PP though so it's not as if they have no confidence in his D ability.

Playing a more substantial role on the PK could be a nice addition to his overall game. He should help the PP at minimum in more consistently gaining the zone.