The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
david_iann

Hurricanes Acquire Matt Cullen from NY Rangers

You wanna see a bunch of morons on ESPN whine about the Canes and how this one trade does nothing to make the Canes a contender next season?

http://myespn.go.com/conversation/story?id=2939662&section=nhl' target="_blank">http://myespn.go.com/conversation/story?id...amp;section=nhl[/post]

Sometimes it makes you wonder if people really know what their talking about...

it's like *edit*....everyone has one.

With Cullen on the Powerplay we will not see Brindy doing endless double shifts as our reliable faceoff winner. As fit as the man is, it takes something out of him to be on the ice so long on the PK and the Powerplay.

With Hutch gone, Tanabe all but gone, Babcuck all but gone, we do need someone more on the defence. We are now just one injury away from a jury rigged defence and our guys aren't getting any younger.

And Eklund says were are in the hunt for Peca, and Belfour. In both cases I think a waste of money. The backup should be truely someone in training to be a replacement..like Ward was for Gerber

As much as I am often wrong, I am happy with this trade. I also saw trading Hutch and or Babs the best move for us. I am also happy with Cullen as he may be called upon to Center Rod's line if Rod needs a rest as he is not getting younger. Ironman or not.

For Shootouts this was the right move in every way. With Hamilton and Cullen our shootout chances have increased dramatically. For those that point out Cullen was not as good on the shootouts last year heres a stat: Matt Cullens "down year" in shootouts in 2006-07 resulted in scoring 3 times as many shootout goals as the ENTIRE 2006-07 Hurricanes team combined. Take a deep breath and let that soak in. His down shootout year was 3 times as good as the only goal we scored (Ray Whitney) this year.

Looking at the 07-08 Canes it's obvious what the strategy is. Tilt the ice, tilt the ice tilt the ice. If we can pull this off our shortcomings on defense will be helped tremendously. Don't pull it off and we will have a long year.

For those that say we have lost Weight, Recchi, and Aaron Ward and thus its not the Cup team.

We've got back Erik Cole (getting up to full speed) and added Scott Walker and Tim Gleason. While they are different players the net change is minimal. Doug Weights passing ability is the only part that seems unreplaced imo. Gerber is gone, but if we are throwing 40 shots at the other teams goal the way Coach Lav likes it, we may be ok at Goal too.

All in all I went from being optimistic, to very excited today.

Go Canes!!!!!!!!!!

With Cullen on the Powerplay we will not see Brindy doing endless double shifts as our reliable faceoff winner. As fit as the man is, it takes something out of him to be on the ice so long on the PK and the Powerplay.

With Hutch gone, Tanabe all but gone, Babcuck all but gone, we do need someone more on the defence. We are now just one injury away from a jury rigged defence and our guys aren't getting any younger.

And Eklund says were are in the hunt for Peca, and Belfour. In both cases I think a waste of money. The backup should be truely someone in training to be a replacement..like Ward was for Gerber

Brindy wasn't doing double duty on the PP because Staal was there to take face-offs although he needs plenty of work still. It was on the PK that I had mentioned Brindy had to come back out because LaRose and C. Adams were the 2nd unit and neither can win a draw. This could be some help there if they decide to give some PK time to Cullen like they did in NY.

As for Eklund, he is just winging stuff. Zero chance for Peca and zero chance for Belfour.

I am happy to have Matt back and yet so very sad :(

Sucks for you TH, looks like both of your guys are gone

I lost K. Adams last year so I know how you feel

I don't know it's hard for me though because I like each and every player almost equally, if I like one over the other it's probably just by a little bit.

Then again I'm not really crying over Hutch and/or Tanabe/Babchuck being gone so maybe there are a couple I don't like equally haha

As much as I am often wrong, I am happy with this trade. I also saw trading Hutch and or Babs the best move for us. I am also happy with Cullen as he may be called upon to Center Rod's line if Rod needs a rest as he is not getting younger. Ironman or not.

For Shootouts this was the right move in every way. With Hamilton and Cullen our shootout chances have increased dramatically. For those that point out Cullen was not as good on the shootouts last year heres a stat: Matt Cullens "down year" in shootouts in 2006-07 resulted in scoring 3 times as many shootout goals as the ENTIRE 2006-07 Hurricanes team combined. Take a deep breath and let that soak in. His down shootout year was 3 times as good as the only goal we scored (Ray Whitney) this year.

Looking at the 07-08 Canes it's obvious what the strategy is. Tilt the ice, tilt the ice tilt the ice. If we can pull this off our shortcomings on defense will be helped tremendously. Don't pull it off and we will have a long year.

Go Canes!!!!!!!!!!

Cullen won't be centering the first line. Where Brindy needs some rest is on the PK which is far more tiring than a few extra shifts.

I really don't understand the fascination with the shootouts. So Cullen scored 3 times, big deal that doesn't mean anything because it was last year against different goalies. Past success doesn't guarantee future results and his % is way down as was Whitney's who didn't score at all. The Canes aren't going over budget to be a bubble team and those are the only teams that need to get overly worked up over the shootout.

Cullen's value will be more for his speed and ability to back the defense off. He can move up to play in the top 6 on a wing with injuries and plays a solid point on the PP. If he reverts to his old form on the shootout, that's just a bonus but he has only one move in his arsenal. Like a fastball-only pitcher it better be a killer one or the league catches on in a hurry.

Exactly about the shoot outs, I'm hoping with the addition of Cullen we'll just get the W and not even have to worry about shootouts

But incase we do, we've got another threat with Cullen I guess

Cullen won't be centering the first line. Where Brindy needs some rest is on the PK which is far more tiring than a few extra shifts.

I really don't understand the fascination with the shootouts. So Cullen scored 3 times, big deal that doesn't mean anything because it was last year against different goalies. Past success doesn't guarantee future results and his % is way down as was Whitney's who didn't score at all. The Canes aren't going over budget to be a bubble team and those are the only teams that need to get overly worked up over the shootout.

Cullen's value will be more for his speed and ability to back the defense off. He can move up to play in the top 6 on a wing with injuries and plays a solid point on the PP. If he reverts to his old form on the shootout, that's just a bonus but he has only one move in his arsenal. Like a fastball-only pitcher it better be a killer one or the league catches on in a hurry.

Actually your wrong. If Rod gets hurt who else do you assume will go to that line? Staal's line will be left intact. Your thinking only rest. If we had a good 3rd Center Rod wouldnt have played in some games this year as bad as his foot was. We didnt have that luxary. If he gets hurt now we have Cullen to center his line and Hamilton to center the 3rd. Thats a huge upgrade to last year if that scenario arises.

Shootout fasicnation:

More points = Home Ice in playoffs, possibly playing weaker teams, and making sure we are not a bubble team. I could look at your statement as also saying: "winning another 3-4 games wont help us." Who knows what the rest of the EC will do this year. I'll take every point we can get.

As I said, Cullen totally changes the third line. Slow Joe vs Fast Matt. Glad we agree here.

I like the trade, but we do have to remember one thing: Cullen's single season as a Hurricane happened to be a career year for him, just like it was for many others on the team. It's nice to think he'll be able to duplicate that season or even do more, but let's not start expecting too much from him. Keep the expectations modest.

This absolutely made my day!!! Even so much so that I went ahead and got me a season ticket package for the first time! This deal just has so many positives that it cancels out the little negative. It's also realy awesome that he's psyched about coming back... I am SO ready for October!!

I checked my email and got the Canes Connect and I usually dont read it and go right to the main site. Well, today I read it, saw we got Cullen back and WOOHOOD!!!!!

I think this is a great addition.

I will say also though, as far as almost rebuilding the team to the "Cup winning team", its a new year. I DO look VERY forward to the season starting though, now more than before.

When I read it on a Rangers blog, I thought, "What!? Matt Cullen for Hutchinson, a prospect and a draft pick? Who's going to center the third line? Glen Sather, are you crazy!?"

When I read it on a Hurricanes blog, I thought, "Awesome! We got rid of Hutchinson and finally have that third line center!"

I didn't think it would happen. The Hurricanes fan in me is ecstatic, the Rangers fan in me is pissed off. It's hard having a split hockey fan personality... :P

Thanks Jr . I am glad that Culley is back where he belongs. I think he will be a great addition on center and speed. Very talented. The fans love him and he is a good guy who really did not want to leave. Good luck to Andrew he is a great guy and talented player. Who knows who else may come back home. I miss Kevin and Aaron. Just a thought. Thanks Caniacs. Have a great summer Caniacs and look forward to talking to you again.

Finally, something to talk (post) about! This is great news. There was a WIDE gap on the 3rd line last year and none of the substitutes worked out. We now have an anchor on the 3rd line, and can take a little pressure off the top 2, double shifting, etc.

We're set up front, but the D still has me worried....

Actually your wrong. If Rod gets hurt who else do you assume will go to that line? Staal's line will be left intact. Your thinking only rest. If we had a good 3rd Center Rod wouldnt have played in some games this year as bad as his foot was. We didnt have that luxary. If he gets hurt now we have Cullen to center his line and Hamilton to center the 3rd. Thats a huge upgrade to last year if that scenario arises.

Shootout fasicnation:

More points = Home Ice in playoffs, possibly playing weaker teams, and making sure we are not a bubble team. I could look at your statement as also saying: "winning another 3-4 games wont help us." Who knows what the rest of the EC will do this year. I'll take every point we can get.

As I said, Cullen totally changes the third line. Slow Joe vs Fast Matt. Glad we agree here.

I mentioned rest only because your original comment was "I am also happy with Cullen as he may be called upon to Center Rod's line if Rod needs a rest as he is not getting younger." So what is your point now, rest or injuries? Look if Brindy gets hurt and Cullen centers Whitney and Williams, that would become the second line with Staal's line taking over as the top line. Between deciding who gets more TOI between a Staal-centered line and a Cullen-centered line you really think Cullen will get more time? The only way he will see top line duty is as a wing, when there is an injury which is what he did during the playoff run.

Trust me, I understand the math and advantages of getting more points but you are missing my point which is that Cullen's presence guarantees nothing. There is no guarantee that Cullen doesn't go 0-fer like Whitney did because there are so many variables. Again if you have to rely on a couple of shootout points to make the playoffs you have bigger issues. Using your own example, even if the Canes had Cullen last year and he got his 3 shootout goals that doesn't necessarily mean they would win any of those game.s It just means they might have gone longer in the shootout.

Kinda interesting following the rags fans on their boards and what they have to say about no more Cullen... The vast majority are pretty upset about it and their are a few who think that since he's excited to be coming back here he must have hated it there, so good ridance! snif, snif

What would you rather have, fans that call you a dirty bum and other slurs if you don't do well, or fans who are warm, excited and have faith in you even if you don't always have a great game?

GREAT MOVE JR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many teams in the league is able to say that all 4 lines can score and the top 3 lines are constant threats every time out on the ice??

Barnes was expendable with some of the drafting we did, and I don't see how this hurts our defense in the future. Hutchinson was far below average on the defensive side of his game. He was a great offensive dman, but if he was to replace Wesley or Hedican then I would lose all faith in JR. When Wesley and Hedican retire then JR will have all the money invested in them right now to go out and sign some solid d men. Hedican and Wesley's salaries next offseason will be off the table and we can go after some guys after that. JR just got Cullen back for basically nothing that was of any value to the Canes.

I like the trade, but we do have to remember one thing: Cullen's single season as a Hurricane happened to be a career year for him, just like it was for many others on the team. It's nice to think he'll be able to duplicate that season or even do more, but let's not start expecting too much from him. Keep the expectations modest.

I agree. Either way this is good news. As others have said he brings speed and that we can count on. Also I believe he played for team USA didn't he?

I agree. Either way this is good news. As others have said he brings speed and that we can count on. Also I believe he played for team USA didn't he?

he was an extra for the Olympics, but he didn't play

My wife was a big fan of Cullen for different reasons than myself, so she was happy to see him back. She seemed to think 2.8mil (of someone elses money) no problem.

I think his cash to production value is yet to be determined, but I'm glad to see him back. Even though he is a streaky player who scores in bunches and then endures a drought, I think he adds to the team and the offensive threat.

I also, like the fact that he's not a bad faceoff guy either. I think he was only second to Brind'Amor in the 05-06 season in FO%, a quality that isn't much thought of until you watch your team win a single FO in a full period of hockey.

I think his speed, creativity and desire to be here will be benefit to the club.

Just my opinion.

Out