The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
david_iann

Hurricanes Acquire Matt Cullen from NY Rangers

I was able to catch Cullen on XM this afternoon so I will recap as best I can, but it was about 3 hours ago so here goes:

First he sounded very excited, you could hear the excitement in his voice.

Was asked what he was doing this morning when he got the word:

Just said that Renney called him this morning. Then JR and Lavi.

Was asked what he thought about the signings of Drury and Gomez and did that give him an idea that he would be traded:

Said that he knew they wanted Drury or Gomez and was very surprised that they were able to get both. He said he didn't really think

about getting traded when they were signed.

He then heard the rumors about him being shopped and then heard Carolina with his name and thought if it happens its a no loose situation and thought it would be an ideal situation for him. Has no ill will towards the Rangers and they have been nothing but good to him.

Was asked about the style of play in Carolina and NY and if his style fits better in Carolina:

He said that he really enjoys Carolina style, based on speed and up tempo. He did admit that he had a hard time adjusting to the Rangers style and feels that he does fit better with Lavi's system. Says Lavi always had him as the 2nd shootout guy and always showed tons of confidence in him.

Was asked how it felt watching his former team miss out on the playoffs after winning the cup:

He said it was tough to see, but they went through so much last season with the injuries and how it really takes a toll on your body. Its 2 1/2 months of tough hockey and no rest from the end to training camp. He said that the loss of Stillman really hurt us. Said Stillman is the most underrated player and feels we really felt Stillman's loss.

Was asked if he feels this team can overcome their bad season:

Says that they have already overcome last year. He's talked to a couple of the guys and their ready for this year. Said he hung out with Hedican and Whitney last week for a charity event. And those 2 have already called him.

And Cullen was told that the Caniacs have called in and their excited to have you back. Cullen was happy about that.

Oh and the best part, at the very end one of the guys said you know the NHL is alot more fun when the Caniacs are in the playoffs. :D

This is really good news. You folks worried about the money, look around, this year 2.8 is not buying what it used to (Like ....last year). I have no problem paying Matt this.

The shootout abilities of Cullen should be an afterthought, because if we're playing like we should be, we shouldn't even be in a shootout.

I like the trade, but I can't help but worry about the defensive future of this team.

oh man this is hilarious...only time I've ever made up a rumor and it turned out true, check out my "would the canes bring back Cullen" thread. Lots of people doubted me, but I knew the canes wamted Cullen back, and Cullen wanted back on a team with Roddy as his leader. Canes know have the most depth at center in the league, bar-none Roddy, Staal, Culley, and Hamilton. Offensive will be explosive. What a great day, so happy Matt is back where he belongs. He'll help the PP, he'll help in shootouts, and he was top 20 in faceoffs last season. This is a good step to retaining the division title again. What a move by J.R.

The shootout abilities of Cullen should be an afterthought, because if we're playing like we should be, we shouldn't even be in a shootout.

I like the trade, but I can't help but worry about the defensive future of this team.

If we stay healthy, there are no problems on defense

problem is, our d-men are too old to stay healthy

oh man this is hilarious...only time I've ever made up a rumor and it turned out true, check out my "would the canes bring back Cullen" thread. Lots of people doubted me, but I knew the canes wamted Cullen back, and Cullen wanted back on a team with Roddy as his leader. Canes know have the most depth at center in the league, bar-none Roddy, Staal, Culley, and Hamilton. Offensive will be explosive. What a great day, so happy Matt is back where he belongs. He'll help the PP, he'll help in shootouts, and he was top 20 in faceoffs last season. This is a good step to retaining the division title again. What a move by J.R.

Hey man looks like you need to fix your sig now, get that boy back in his rightful sweater ;)

Hey man looks like you need to fix your sig now, get that boy back in his rightful sweater ;)

As soon as they get a pic of him with his new number, but yea, totally wrong of me to keep that sig pic up, I'll leave it blank until he gets his new number.

If we stay healthy, there are no problems on defense

problem is, our d-men are too old to stay healthy

Hence why I said "defensive future". Our D-men are generally older, and I haven't heard much out of Albany as far as defensive prospects. Plenty of fowards and some goalies, but not much defensemen.

Casey Borer, Brett Carson, Mark Flood, and Noah Babin are the most promising prospects we have in Albany, I believe. None of them appear to be NHL-ready, though they will all be eligible for call ups next season so maybe we'll see.

If no prospects are ready by the time Wesley and/or Hedican retire, we can always look to free agency and go for that big name defensive stud like so many here want us to do. ;)

I just got home from a long day of work to see we got Cullen back, I cant believe it!!! Im sooooo glad iv already bought my season tickets. This year might look very similar to 05. Anyways im happy as shyt!!!

I think this is a good move. Matt seems to do well under Lavi's system, so even if he doesn't have a career year, the third line still will improve. If Matt does have a career year, 2.8mil will seem like highway robbery. :lol:

I feel great about this...we finally have four very capable centers.

I obviously joined this discussion late so I'll try not to parrot what everyone else has been saying. Hutchinson was a good player but certainly not worth more than a guy like Cullen. As far as finding a QB for the power play, hopefully Lavs can work on that with Kaberle and Tanabe in practice, I think either of them could do it reasonably well.

I'm just glad that it looks like we'll have that quick, high-flying offense that was our trademark in 05/06.

I obviously joined this discussion late so I'll try not to parrot what everyone else has been saying. Hutchinson was a good player but certainly not worth more than a guy like Cullen. As far as finding a QB for the power play, hopefully Lavs can work on that with Kaberle and Tanabe in practice, I think either of them could do it reasonably well.

I'm just glad that it looks like we'll have that quick, high-flying offense that was our trademark in 05/06.

Unless you know something we don't, Tanabe hasn't been re-signed as a UFA. But yeah, this is great news.

Unless you know something we don't, Tanabe hasn't been re-signed as a UFA. But yeah, this is great news.

D'oh! Forgot about that one...

I hope he does re-sign here though, he's shown vast improvement over his last stint with us.

D'oh! Forgot about that one...

I hope he does re-sign here though, he's shown vast improvement over his last stint with us.

Normally, I'd say you're in the minority, but this board's switched it's opinion of Tanabe so many times that I can't honestly remember. It's Wednesday so....let's see.... :lol:

I'd love to get Tanabe back, but from what I've heard, JR's finished with him.

well, after reading the two latest articles in the N&O ( Cullen's back, A.Ward making Raleigh his "hometown") is there any chance that we could kidnap (joking of course) Aaron and keep him here... well, maybe if Wesley and/or Hedican retire after this year we could convince him to come back - which, after all, would ease the defensive worries of some.

Wow, this is great news. Our team definatley had a hole in it last year when Cullen left. Even though he didn't do too great with the Rangers last season, I think he can come in and have a huge impact on our team this season. Especially in the shootout.

Welcome Back Matt!!!

From the New York Post, their perspective:

July 18, 2007 -- The Rangers cleared cap space they might never need by digging a hole at center they're likely to have a difficult time filling. The Blueshirts traded Matt Cullen and his $2.875 million per year contract to Carolina yesterday for a pair of definite maybes and a 2008 third-round draft pick.

The trade, in which the Rangers obtained 27-year-old depth defenseman Andrew Hutchinson and 21-year-old pivot Joe Barnes (whose 2006-07 AHL Albany season ended with a December concussion), creates a question mark out of what appeared to be an exclamation point of a position following the free agent signings of centers Scott Gomez and Chris Drury.

Moving Cullen does create an opportunity for rookies Artem Anisimov and Brandon Dubinsky - if not Barnes, the 64th overall selection of the 2005 Entry Draft - but Tom Renney's track record at coach suggests that he's far more likely than not to give third-line time to Blair Betts rather than a freshman.

This stands to create a ripple effect on projected offense-minded third-line wingers Petr Prucha and Ryan Callahan, who had developed late season chemistry with Cullen. This holds true as well for young offensively-inclined candidates on the wing such as Nigel Dawes and Alex Bourret.

Betts, best in a fourth-line checking role, had four assists last season in 69 games. This also creates the situation in which the team will be scrambling frantically should Gomez and/or Drury go down for any substantial period of time. Cullen had 16 goals and 25 assists in his first and only year as a Ranger after leaving Carolina to sign a four-year, $11.5M free agent contract.

If, as expected, Marc Staal earns a top-six spot on the blue line out of training camp, then the Blueshirts would probably choose between Hutchinson ($475,000) and Thomas Pock ($667,500) as their seventh defenseman, with Jason Strudwick ($500,000) ensconced as the final man on the roster.

Neither Pock nor Hutchison would be expected to clear waivers

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07182007/sport...arry_brooks.htm

From the New York Post, their perspective:

July 18, 2007 -- The Rangers cleared cap space they might never need by digging a hole at center they're likely to have a difficult time filling. The Blueshirts traded Matt Cullen and his $2.875 million per year contract to Carolina yesterday for a pair of definite maybes and a 2008 third-round draft pick.

The trade, in which the Rangers obtained 27-year-old depth defenseman Andrew Hutchinson and 21-year-old pivot Joe Barnes (whose 2006-07 AHL Albany season ended with a December concussion), creates a question mark out of what appeared to be an exclamation point of a position following the free agent signings of centers Scott Gomez and Chris Drury.

Moving Cullen does create an opportunity for rookies Artem Anisimov and Brandon Dubinsky - if not Barnes, the 64th overall selection of the 2005 Entry Draft - but Tom Renney's track record at coach suggests that he's far more likely than not to give third-line time to Blair Betts rather than a freshman.

This stands to create a ripple effect on projected offense-minded third-line wingers Petr Prucha and Ryan Callahan, who had developed late season chemistry with Cullen. This holds true as well for young offensively-inclined candidates on the wing such as Nigel Dawes and Alex Bourret.

Betts, best in a fourth-line checking role, had four assists last season in 69 games. This also creates the situation in which the team will be scrambling frantically should Gomez and/or Drury go down for any substantial period of time. Cullen had 16 goals and 25 assists in his first and only year as a Ranger after leaving Carolina to sign a four-year, $11.5M free agent contract.

If, as expected, Marc Staal earns a top-six spot on the blue line out of training camp, then the Blueshirts would probably choose between Hutchinson ($475,000) and Thomas Pock ($667,500) as their seventh defenseman, with Jason Strudwick ($500,000) ensconced as the final man on the roster.

Neither Pock nor Hutchison would be expected to clear waivers

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07182007/sport...arry_brooks.htm

He's signed with Boston so we would probably have to trade for him but if we cant talk him into taking a little pay cut he would probably come back but again the Bruins would have to give him up
You can't renegotiate a contract under the current CBA. It's a moot point, anyways, as JR said we were after a puck-moving defenseman, which Ward is not. We have enough guys who can kill penalties and stand immobile in their own zone blocking shots/clearing the crease.

. We have enough guys who can kill penalties and stand immobile in their own zone blocking shots/clearing the crease.

well, that's better than repeatedly passing the puck to the opposition in the neutral zone (like some whose names will go unmentioned and who thankfully have either been traded or gone un-resigned did), right?