The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
david_iann

Hurricanes Acquire Matt Cullen from NY Rangers

I like David I wouldnt mind keeping him, plus we drafted him so that makes a difference to me

Tanabe won't be offered a contract, we don't need him.

. We have enough guys who can kill penalties and stand immobile in their own zone blocking shots/clearing the crease.

well, that's better than repeatedly passing the puck to the opposition in the neutral zone (like some whose names will go unmentioned and who thankfully have either been traded or gone un-resigned did), right?

I wasn't mentioning that as a negative trait, but simply a type of defenseman that we have enough of already. Ward makes no sense here.

If Hutchinson were put on waivers by the Rangers, would that mean we could potentially claim him and get him back? It sounds from the Post article that he is unlikely to get a spot on the blueshirts' roster.

If Hutchinson were put on waivers by the Rangers, would that mean we could potentially claim him and get him back? It sounds from the Post article that he is unlikely to get a spot on the blueshirts' roster.
Yes. I believe that the 10 teams who finished lower than us in the standings last season would have first priority, though.

The more time that passes, the better this deal is looking.

Stillman/Staal/Cole

Whitney/Brindamour/Williams

Ladd/Cullen/Walker

Adams/Hamilton/LaRose

You know what that is? That's 3 scoring lines + an energy line. And if the moons align correctly, that energy line can put up some decent numbers as well.

That 3rd line and some of our defensemen could lay out some big physical play as well, hopefully enough to contend with the "Physical = Winning Cup" idea that's been around since the Ducks won it.

Stillman/Staal/Cole

Ladd/Cullen/Walker

Adams/Hamilton/LaRose

You know what that is? That's 3 scoring lines + an energy line. And if the moons align correctly, that energy line can put up some decent numbers as well.

That 3rd line and some of our defensemen could lay out some big physical play as well, hopefully enough to contend with the "Physical = Winning Cup" idea that's been around since the Ducks won it.

I can't agree more. The more I look at this line up, the happier I get. The big x-factor out there is what kind of a season will Cam and Crackers have? And of course, how healthy is Brett Hedican? I'd love to pick up a defenseman but I'm starting to by into the "they're all gonna be healthy this year" attitude and just maybe we'll be fine on defense. Can we start the season now?

Stillman/Staal/Cole

Ladd/Cullen/Walker

Adams/Hamilton/LaRose

I can't agree more. The more I look at this line up, the happier I get. The big x-factor out there is what kind of a season will Cam and Crackers have? And of course, how healthy is Brett Hedican? I'd love to pick up a defenseman but I'm starting to by into the "they're all gonna be healthy this year" attitude and just maybe we'll be fine on defense. Can we start the season now?

Actually, that 4th line may be wrong. According to today's N&O, Rutherford said that Letowski, Adams and LaRose would be the 4th line. Hamilton would get his time on the PP and would fill in for injuries if the need be.

Stillman/Staal/Cole

Ladd/Cullen/Walker

Adams/Hamilton/LaRose

I don't see Cam and Crackers as an x-factor, Cam started training for this season April 8th so you know he will be ready and Crackers is well over the Torts funk. My concern is how healthy is the D, If hedican is 100% then we will be ok. If not, then we got major issues.

Actually, that 4th line may be wrong. According to today's N&O, Rutherford said that Letowski, Adams and LaRose would be the 4th line. Hamilton would get his time on the PP and would fill in for injuries if the need be.

See I took JRs comments to be that Hamilton would be pressuring Adams, LaRose, and Letowski to produce as in battling it out for the 2 wing positions on the 4th.

I just can't see Hamilton dressing only to play the PP. He's going to center the 4th line and its up to LaRose, Adams, and Letowski to fight it out for the wings.

he'll move into a utility role -- applying pressure on fourth-liners Craig Adams, Letowski and Chad LaRose to produce.

"He will become a very useful guy because of his skill level and ability to score," Rutherford said. "He'll be the first guy who goes up into the top nine any time somebody is struggling or hurt, and he'll get his power-play time."

See I took JRs comments to be that Hamilton would be pressuring Adams, LaRose, and Letowski to produce as in battling it out for the 2 wing positions on the 4th.

I just can't see Hamilton dressing only to play the PP. He's going to center the 4th line and its up to LaRose, Adams, and Letowski to fight it out for the wings.

he'll move into a utility role -- applying pressure on fourth-liners Craig Adams, Letowski and Chad LaRose to produce.

"He will become a very useful guy because of his skill level and ability to score," Rutherford said. "He'll be the first guy who goes up into the top nine any time somebody is struggling or hurt, and he'll get his power-play time."

I read it the same way. Otherwise you have 13 forwards and only 5 D. I'm not ready to write Letowski off yet because he is pretty solid on the PK and has better, although not great, scoring touch at the NHL level than LaRose and Adams. Having said that, Adams is the physical presence on that line while LaRose is the energy and buzz factor.

He was doing a lot of shooting last year in the shootouts, just waiting for angles top corner (like against Grahame). I don't know if he'll stay with that strategy. But I recall when he went 6 for 9 he at least put some moves on to move the goalie from side-to-side.

At the end of last year, LaRose was out best PKer. He'll be 4th line and play a ton of PK minutes. I think there will be a Hamilton/Letwoski battle this preseason for the 4th line center role.

XM was replaying Game 5 of the ECF this morning. Cullen might not have gotten the GWG, but he sure played a huge part in our win that game.

In OT, Cullen steals the puck from Dumont. Dumont hooks Cullen. Canes go on the PP. Cullen rips a shot from the point on the PP. Its goes wide. Stillman picks up the rebound and scores.

If it wasn't for Cullen, who knows how that game would have turned out.

Not to mention just that game, but the XM guys on Tuesday were talking about him returning to Carolina and one of them said that he was one of the best players for the Canes in Game 7 of the finals.

At the end of last year, LaRose was out best PKer. He'll be 4th line and play a ton of PK minutes. I think there will be a Hamilton/Letwoski battle this preseason for the 4th line center role.

I dunno about that. Letowski's meant to play the right wing, so it may be Hamilton taking the center role, and having LaRose/Letowski fight for the wing position.

I dunno about that. Letowski's meant to play the right wing, so it may be Hamilton taking the center role, and having LaRose/Letowski fight for the wing position.

I think that is right on target and exactly the way I interpreted it. Because of the familiarity and underdog factor withe LaRose people assume he is a lock, especially after the poor year Letowski put up.

However, if you throw out last year's performance, likely hindered by his concussion, Letowski is more versatile and more talented than LaRose. He is getting close to 200 points in his career and had double-digit goal totals 4 times. Though he never really got a chance as a 3rd line center he can wins draws and has the skills to move up and contribute on 3rd line if needed. LaRose failed a brief audition as 3rd line C and adds only energy as a 3rd line fill-in.

Versatility was a big plus in signing Hamilton and bringing Cullen back. Letowski is versatile too and a very solid killer. LaRose brings energy and is a good killer too but that's all he brings despite the continued belief by some that he can score at the NHL level. Sorry LaRose fans but if you look past last year, Letowski might provide more - Lewoski has 3rd line talent playing on the 4th line while LaRose's talent level equates to 4th line.

Well, we'll see how it plays out. I don't see Letowski taking LaRose's spot, but I've been wrong before. Trevor has put up more numbers than LaRose, but with previous teams. And transition from one team to another can really change one's game. Ask Cullen.

Of course, the fact that JR sees Letowski as expendable also has some affect on my reasoning. It could change during the season though.

Well, we'll see how it plays out. I don't see Letowski taking LaRose's spot, but I've been wrong before. Trevor has put up more numbers than LaRose, but with previous teams. And transition from one team to another can really change one's game. Ask Cullen.

Of course, the fact that JR sees Letowski as expendable also has some affect on my reasoning. It could change during the season though.

JR never alluded to that, it was only Luke DeCock's opinion that it would be Letowski who could be traded. Rutherford only said he might move a "forward" for a Dman. It could be Letowski but that wouldn't fetch much in return.

I'm not sure the Cullen analogy holds. He thrived in a system suited to his skills whereas I don't think the Canes' system caused Letowski to have a poor year. I think that was due to injury and never establishing regular playing time or a role. I doubt C. Adams would be the odd man out because he has 2 years left of a modest contract and is a smart player who brings a very good physical presence to that line. His hits/TOI ratio is very impressive.

At the end of the day though, if it's Letowski over LaRose or the other way around, I'm not going to lose any sleep.

Hmmm...I thought JR said Letowski would be the tradebait. Maybe not.

But whatever happens, it can only be for the good of the club. Neither one seems like the type of player to just lay down and take it. If either one gets scratched, you can bet they'll be trying harder to get back on.

But whatever happens, it can only be for the good of the club. Neither one seems like the type of player to just lay down and take it. If either one gets scratched, you can bet they'll be trying harder to get back on.

the last i heard he was trade bait (per the N&O).

the last i heard he was trade bait (per the N&O).

To clarify, that was DeCock's speculation and nothing more. He also wrote that the Cullen trade was all but dead shortly before it happened so he obviously isn't getting insider info that is being reported.

LaRose failed a brief audition as 3rd line C and adds only energy as a 3rd line fill-in.

If I remember correctly LaRose got 2 goals as his audition on 3rd line center.

I know he got pulled early in his 2nd audition and was put back on the 4th, but I don't think he was the one reason why he got pulled. We were behind and frankly looked like crap. Lavi had to do something.

Letowski is the odd man out. Not saying he can't play his way onto the 4th, but if Craig and Chad both keep up their play, they won't sit. Letowski is the expendable one from what I've been hearing. Not only that Chad is cheaper, so they'll be more opt to keep his salary over Letowski's. Just my 2 cents.