The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
david_iann

Hurricanes Acquire Matt Cullen from NY Rangers

If I remember correctly, stormrider and I had a discussion about LaRose's two goals. Basically, he believes that both goals were luck, due mostly to LaRose being out of position (ie at the right wing, rather than the center). And for the most part, he's right. The first goal was extremely lucky, somehow missing the fallen Ladd. And the second goal, he did confuse the Devil's defense by running into Ladd as they both chased the puck.

But of course, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

LaRose failed a brief audition as 3rd line C and adds only energy as a 3rd line fill-in.

If I remember correctly LaRose got 2 goals as his audition on 3rd line center.

I know he got pulled early in his 2nd audition and was put back on the 4th, but I don't think he was the one reason why he got pulled. We were behind and frankly looked like crap. Lavi had to do something.

Letowski is the odd man out. Not saying he can't play his way onto the 4th, but if Craig and Chad both keep up their play, they won't sit. Letowski is the expendable one from what I've been hearing. Not only that Chad is cheaper, so they'll be more opt to keep his salary over Letowski's. Just my 2 cents.

Since the LaRose 3rd line experiment has been discussed ad nausem here, I'll give you short version. LaRose was taken very early off the 3rd line in the next game because of he was a clear liability defensively. It wasn't to shake up the team - it was close and competitive win for the Canes. Even with a rather fluky two-goal game was against NJ, his play was so terrible against Washington that it didn't buy him any more of a look and he had to go back to the 4th line. He never returned to the 3rd line in that game or any other.

Letowski could be the odd man out, as I stated earlier, but I just don't think it is a foregone conclusion and his versatility and attitude is valued by the Canes. How many other 3rd line talents willingly play on the 4th line without uttering a peep?

Exactly, you got to start somewhere. A lucky goal could turn into a hot streak for some players. All of Staal's goals aren't from pure skill, he gets lucky too.

Exactly, you got to start somewhere. A lucky goal could turn into a hot streak for some players. All of Staal's goals aren't from pure skill, he gets lucky too.

I'm not knocking the lucky aspect of his goals but rather the interpretation that a 2-goal game equals a successful audition. Obviously getting pulled in the first period of the next game speaks volumes as to the coaching staff's opinion of it.

Thought I heard the Letowski started as a D-man and played there for a year or 2 early on? Is it remotely possible we keep him as insurance in case Hedican and Wesley "age" quicker than we'd like? Is Letowski capable of being a #7 or #8 D-man?

I'm not knocking the lucky aspect of his goals but rather the interpretation that a 2-goal game equals a successful audition. Obviously getting pulled in the first period of the next game speaks volumes as to the coaching staff's opinion of it.

WELCOME BACK MATT(CULLEY) WE CANIACS HAVE MISSED YOU AND I KNOW THE GUYS ON THE TEAM HAVE. GOOD LUCK THIS SEASON AND THE CANIACS LOOK FORWARD TO CHEERING YOU ON .