The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
DukeCaniac09

Will Sutter get playing time this year?

Staal played right away.. I remember many saying he should of been sent to the AHL first, but hey.. he was exposed to Ronnie, which I'm sure he got MANY MANY great tips... as for Sutters age... who knows. He's 18... not entirely mature, but hey... who knows. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the AHL and be a call up when someone goes down to get some exposure for a few games. Or, if/when we get to the finals, having him on the roster to get some exposure. I remember the Yankees doing that with Jeter/Posada I believe.

Great hockey pedigree, but until he can add 30-40 pounds he's not ready (have y'all seen a picture of this kid?). Even then he'd need to adjust to the added load.

He may get a "cup of coffee" late in the coming season or at the beginning of next and perhaps join the team sometime in 08-09 if injuries require his help. But I don't think he shows up on the regular roster until the 09-10 campaign at the earliest.

Great hockey pedigree, but until he can add 30-40 pounds he's not ready (have y'all seen a picture of this kid?). Even then he'd need to adjust to the added load.

He may get a "cup of coffee" late in the coming season or at the beginning of next and perhaps join the team sometime in 08-09 if injuries require his help. But I don't think he shows up on the regular roster until the 09-10 campaign at the earliest.

6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)

170 lb (77 kg)

This kid needs to eat a sandwhich and lift some weights before he starts in an NHL game

He's too small to play in the nhl and at the same time he's too young to play in the ahl (league rules) so he'll be back in junior. Same thing goes for Harrison Reed regarding the age requirement. It's back to juniors for him.

6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)

170 lb (77 kg)

This kid needs to eat a sandwhich and lift some weights before he starts in an NHL game

Damn, the kids as big (or small by NHL standards) as I am; and I'm 16 and don't do anything special working out wise, or sports.

6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)

170 lb (77 kg)

Damn, the kids as big (or small by NHL standards) as I am; and I'm 16 and don't do anything special working out wise, or sports.

haha thats saying something right there..

At 6'2" or 6'3" he's going to have to be at least 195 lbs. before he breaks into the NHL... gotta have the strength to take some hits with that kind of height. If he were to play next season he'd take an open ice hit about as well as a pin takes a bowling ball.

I'm a tall, skinny guy who measures up about the same as Sutter, and I can tell you firsthand that we tend to fall down easy when someone throws even an average hit on us... and I was never laid out in open ice by a 6'5", 230 lb. defenseman. Talk about a train wreck.

NHL average is 6' 1", 205lb. He's got the height beat, but he needs about 35 pounds.

Then again, we have a lot of undersized players.

We do have lots of undersized guys but there's a big difference between being 5'10" 180lbs and being over 6' tall and the same weight. Those small guys are stronger pound for pound.

Agreed, Shane. The lower center of gravity helps a lot.

The kid is tall and gawky, and he totally needs to put on some pounds. At this weight, he's going to spend most of his ice time running from big ol' defensemen.

Doesn't brindy have some sort of gym work out he does with the rookies and/or prospects? I remember hearing about it during the draft I think after he was drafted. I might have misheard though.

We don't want him killing the kid hahaha

He has his unofficial training camp during the summer. Not sure if that's what you mean. Lots of the younger guys go to try and make a good impression. With his work ethic he should do fine, not sure what his fitness level is like.

I'd love for Brindy to train me. Forget hockey, just get me in shape... HEY! That could be a new reality show! Brindys Bootcamp! :D

Take 6 teenage hockey players or anything else that breathes for that matter, and train them... see who outlast all the others, and wins! lol

I'd love for Brindy to train me. Forget hockey, just get me in shape... HEY! That could be a new reality show! Brindys Bootcamp! :D

Take 6 teenage hockey players or anything else that breathes for that matter, and train them... see who outlast all the others, and wins! lol

The winner would be the one who had the last turn. He would win by default because the first 5 would die.

The winner would be the one who had the last turn. He would win by default because the first 5 would die.

I was thinking they would do everything at the same time... whoever hasnt keeled over, wins. Lord knows I'd die. :)

I was thinking they would do everything at the same time... whoever hasnt keeled over, wins. Lord knows I'd die. :)

They'd need a pretty good stopwatch.