The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
sandhillscaniac

JR working on a dman trade?

honestly i think our D is fine. we have quite a few offensive defensemen- Seidenberg, Hedican, Kaberle..then Gleason had a scoring touch near the end of the season too. and now that we got rid of Hutch, we really don't need to trade.

honestly i think our D is fine. we have quite a few offensive defensemen- Seidenberg, Hedican, Kaberle..then Gleason had a scoring touch near the end of the season too. and now that we got rid of Hutch, we really don't need to trade.

We're set in terms of offense, now... however, we do need some more true defensive help... We need the stay-at-home d-man who will play solidly for us... I mean we're set with the lines as is, but we have absolutely no depth if guys start going down to injury (and with Hedican's history, there's a good chance it'll happen this season)... Granted, we can't expect to be missing Kaberle and Gleason for most of the season again, so that'll help, but it would be nice to have that added extra bit of security...

i would deff. like JR to get a good defenseman

what about Aaron Ward? isnt he a free agent?

it would depend on how much Ward thinks he's worth

if JR can convince him to come here for the price we think he's worth, then I'm sure we'll sign him, otherwise expect him to be demanding way too much money for his services once again

I don't see any more trades happening. We are up to 44.8 mil (.8 mil over our self-imposed cap) as is.

did you subtract out hutch?

We're one defenseman short aren't we? With Hutch gone, we've only got 7 now and we would want to carry 8...and with no (self-imposed) cap room left. Options: Trade a higher priced dman for 2 cheapies (or for 1 cheapie and sign another as a FA) or blow through the self-imposed cap and pick up a FA defenseman. My guess is Tanabe will be re-signed to a multiyear deal with a cheap first year and higher bucks in the second year.

Put Letowski on waivers and sign Ward. He's still got a home in the area and stays here in the offseason so clearly he likes it here. Just wishful thinking. It'll never happen.

Put Letowski on waivers and sign Ward. He's still got a home in the area and stays here in the offseason so clearly he likes it here. Just wishful thinking. It'll never happen.

Ward is under contract with the Bruins so we would have to make a trade to get him. I like Ward but I'm not sure he would improve the "D" any more than what we already have on board. Don't get me wrong, he would not hurt us, but I don't see any value of giving up something to get Ward.

i would deff. like JR to get a good defenseman

what about Aaron Ward? isnt he a free agent?

Ward has 1 year left on his contract with Boston. So in order to get him, you'll making another trade. Not saying it can't happen, but I doubt it will. Now i wouldn't be surprised to see Ward take a home town discount next season and sign with the Canes.

As far as D, appears we are set, but you never know with JR. Currently and in no particular pairings, we have:

Wallin-Gleason

Hedican-Kaberle

Commie-Wesley

Seidenberg

If JR opts to get another defenseman, I doubt he will get one via free agency. This team usually likes to have 1 forward and 1 defenseman extra (scratched) so I doubt he'll go back to 8 defenseman.

The reason I say we're set is because to get a top guy, your looking at trading Wallin (if he waives NTC) or Commodore. And at this point, I'd rather not.

I think our D was terrible last year and the biggest holes are still here. I hope to heavens they do better than last year. Injuries aside, I don't see a lot to be optimistic about unless Hedican doesn't make it past camp and maybe Kaberle gets benched in favor of one our younger players that can step uptheir game. That's what I hope happens and I think the potential is there if they get a decent chance. The thought of a Hedican-Kaberle pairing like one suggested sends shivers up my back. I think Ward and Graham deserve better than that.

Hopefully our offense will get back on track. It's starting to really look good with the addition of Cullen and Hamilton. The best defense is a good offense. If we're controlling the puck and putting the pressure on with more goals, a lot of defensive weaknesses will not stand out so much. The other team can't score if we're pounding their net with shots and goals and controlling the puck.

Bringing Ward back would be a terrible move in my opinin. We already have plenty of stay-at-home defensemen. Look at the guys we have...if we make a move for a defensemen it's going to be for a puck-moving guy who can make those stretch passes to break out our forwards, not for another defensive guy. We're fine on that end.

I don't see any more trades happening. We are up to 44.8 mil (.8 mil over our self-imposed cap) as is.

I did the math and came up with the same number as you did for our spending limit. And I'd have to agree with you that I think a trade for another defenseman is very unlikely now, since it would have to be an even salary trade.

This has been said before, but apparently it warrants saying again. Our defense from last season, with all of its supposed ineffectiveness, actually gave up fewer, FEWER goals than the year we won the Cup. The difference was a whopping 50 goals dropoff in goals for, so the problem is offense, not defense.

Luke at the N&O wrote a few weeks ago that JR was considering a D "shake-up" trade that had Wallin offered as the candidate out. And no one is sure yet whether Hedican is going to be able to play this season. Last I heard, he was still traveling to some Dr. out west with Pete to deal with his nagging pains. If the answer is NO, and he retires, we'll see some JR D action for sure.

hedican is obviously an important ingredient in whether we get another dman or not. i am pretty sure he will retire if the doc says he cant play, but even if he can play im not looking to much forward to it because he could get reinjured and miss a lot more games. i definitly dont want to trade wallin because him and gleason go together great.

hedican is obviously an important ingredient in whether we get another dman or not. i am pretty sure he will retire if the doc says he cant play, but even if he can play im not looking to much forward to it because he could get reinjured and miss a lot more games. i definitly dont want to trade wallin because him and gleason go together great.

Or he could remain completely healthy and turn out to be one of our most reliable d-men. No one knows. He's had time to heal and when healthy he is a very good defender.

Luke at the N&O wrote a few weeks ago that JR was considering a D "shake-up" trade that had Wallin offered as the candidate out. And no one is sure yet whether Hedican is going to be able to play this season. Last I heard, he was still traveling to some Dr. out west with Pete to deal with his nagging pains. If the answer is NO, and he retires, we'll see some JR D action for sure.

He already met with the doctor, a while ago, just to get checked out and be sure that his hip was in good enough condition to play. And from what I've read on these boards he passed all the tests and is coming back next season, no doubt about it.

I think our D was terrible last year and the biggest holes are still here. I hope to heavens they do better than last year. Injuries aside, I don't see a lot to be optimistic about unless Hedican doesn't make it past camp and maybe Kaberle gets benched in favor of one our younger players that can step uptheir game. That's what I hope happens and I think the potential is there if they get a decent chance. The thought of a Hedican-Kaberle pairing like one suggested sends shivers up my back. I think Ward and Graham deserve better than that.

And that terrible D last year also won the cup. Only changes to D was loosing Turnoverdovsky and Ward. And in their place was Tanabe and Gleason. We won the cup without a big name defenseman and we can do it again or atleast contend again.

Kaberle will be healthier.

Hedican hopefully with all this time off will be somewhat healthy. He played the whole year injured last year b/c we had no one else. Hopefully with all these months off and him doing physical therapy and what not will help out.

Gleason will be more settled in.

I just don't think our defense is as bad as some like to think. In 2005-06 the ice was tilted in our favor. We had 4 lines that were run and gun and we got that again with getting Cullen back. Our offense will be wearing out the other team again.

I would really like for us to get a good offensive d-man. Cap space would be a problem... but I would really like us to get John Micheal Liles only IF we don't give up a whole lot. JL would be great but unlikely. I am surpised he has been in rumors saying Carolina was looking for a trade with him.

AGAIN unlikely but would fit the spot just nicely without paying an arm and a leg.