The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
sandhillscaniac

JR working on a dman trade?

...Kaberle can not be counted on to run the PP. He couldn't do it before he was injured and he does have the skills to do it now even if he gets back to full "strength" (I really hate to use that word to describe anything about his game).

...Those that say the defense is just wonderful have a totally different view than I do as to how our guys performed last year.

So we disagree on Kaberle, but do agree on the overall D. Believe me, Kaberle isn't my first choice at point for the PP, but he is among the defensive players on this squad. He is the only one that stays calm and knows what to do with the puck when pressured.

Now using that criteria, use a forward instead, but not Staal who is much better suited down low or off the circle. I'd rather see a sniper like Whitney, but not sure he'll get back on D when the puck skips over Tanabe's stick on the other point :)

I may have missed something but are you suggesting two forwards on the point? That is a situational strategy only used late in a game when trailing and going on the PP or if you have a key 5-on-3.

Lavi prefers the F/D pairings on both PP units. I'd really like to see a right and lefty on each point which won't happen this year since all the Dmen are left-handed now. All the righties are gone - Babchuk, Tanabe, and Hutch.

What about Commodore? I thought he was a righty shot?

...Kaberle can not be counted on to run the PP. He couldn't do it before he was injured and he does have the skills to do it now even if he gets back to full "strength" (I really hate to use that word to describe anything about his game).

...Those that say the defense is just wonderful have a totally different view than I do as to how our guys performed last year.

So we disagree on Kaberle, but do agree on the overall D. Believe me, Kaberle isn't my first choice at point for the PP, but he is among the defensive players on this squad. He is the only one that stays calm and knows what to do with the puck when pressured.

Now using that criteria, use a forward instead, but not Staal who is much better suited down low or off the circle. I'd rather see a sniper like Whitney, but not sure he'll get back on D when the puck skips over Tanabe's stick on the other point :)

I may have missed something but are you suggesting two forwards on the point? That is a situational strategy only used late in a game when trailing and going on the PP or if you have a key 5-on-3.

Lavi prefers the F/D pairings on both PP units. I'd really like to see a right and lefty on each point which won't happen this year since all the Dmen are left-handed now. All the righties are gone - Babchuk, Tanabe, and Hutch.

He is but he doesn't and won't play on either of the top PP units, which was the discussion.

He is but he doesn't and won't play on either of the top PP units, which was the discussion.

I can't see Commodore serving on the PP (weak passer, out of position habit), but he does have a shot that could strike some fear from the point. Does anyone think Lavi -- with the need for a right shot -- would at least give Big Red a look on the PP?

I can't see Commodore serving on the PP (weak passer, out of position habit), but he does have a shot that could strike some fear from the point. Does anyone think Lavi -- with the need for a right shot -- would at least give Big Red a look on the PP?

Red I agree with your first two points and obviously am a big proponent of having some R & L balance on the points. But I don't like his point shot at all. Aside from it being inaccurate, he just doesn't have the ability/dexterity to set and up and shoot quickly. It often gets blocked as a result.

Red I agree with your first two points and obviously am a big proponent of having some R & L balance on the points. But I don't like his point shot at all. Aside from it being inaccurate, he just doesn't have the ability/dexterity to set and up and shoot quickly. It often gets blocked as a result.

Stormrider...point well taken. I should confess, though, my tongue was slightly in cheek when I said Commodore's shot would "strike fear" in the opponent from the point -- I was alluding to the fact that they'll have a little time to think about the pain of taking that blocked puck as Commie goes through that big ol' wind-up... :D

Stormrider...point well taken. I should confess, though, my tongue was slightly in cheek when I said Commodore's shot would "strike fear" in the opponent from the point -- I was alluding to the fact that they'll have a little time to think about the pain of taking that blocked puck as Commie goes through that big ol' wind-up... :D

Very well done then. I missed the sarcasm as cleanly as Jamie Storr used to miss pucks. ;)

Put Letowski on waivers and sign Ward. He's still got a home in the area and stays here in the offseason so clearly he likes it here. Just wishful thinking. It'll never happen.

I feel abit out of the loop this summer,but does anyone know if Trevor is staying or not? I know towards the end of the season e was interested in staying,but didn't know what the franchise would decide with all the trades.

Why wouldn't he be staying? He's still under contract for another year, he's a fairly decent forward and he wouldn't garner anything in a trade unless he was part of a larger deal.

I would really like for us to get a good offensive d-man. Cap space would be a problem... but I would really like us to get John Micheal Liles only IF we don't give up a whole lot. JL would be great but unlikely. I am surpised he has been in rumors saying Carolina was looking for a trade with him.

Wait another year, I'm praying Liles will be our big free-agent signing. JR has liked this guy for a long time. As for the rumors you mention involving him coming to Carolina, I haven't seen one since early last season. Not sure where you're reading those?

Sorry I don't have a link. I only knew about these rumors because of the 'Canes chat board. I would hear some people a few months ago on here bring his name up in rumors. If anybody has a link post it please. If JR signs him I will jump for joy!

.....I may have missed something but are you suggesting two forwards on the point? That is a situational strategy only used late in a game when trailing and going on the PP or if you have a key 5-on-3....

No I'm suggesting a F/D combo. I just want anyone that can handle the puck with speed to get back on D.

Put Letowski on waivers and sign Ward. He's still got a home in the area and stays here in the offseason so clearly he likes it here. Just wishful thinking. It'll never happen.

I feel abit out of the loop this summer,but does anyone know if Trevor is staying or not? I know towards the end of the season e was interested in staying,but didn't know what the franchise would decide with all the trades.

Why wouldn't he be staying? He's still under contract for another year, he's a fairly decent forward and he wouldn't garner anything in a trade unless he was part of a larger deal.

I would really like for us to get a good offensive d-man. Cap space would be a problem... but I would really like us to get John Micheal Liles only IF we don't give up a whole lot. JL would be great but unlikely. I am surpised he has been in rumors saying Carolina was looking for a trade with him.

Wait another year, I'm praying Liles will be our big free-agent signing. JR has liked this guy for a long time. As for the rumors you mention involving him coming to Carolina, I haven't seen one since early last season. Not sure where you're reading those?

Sorry I don't have a link. I only knew about these rumors because of the 'Canes chat board. I would hear some people a few months ago on here bring his name up in rumors. If anybody has a link post it please. If JR signs him I will jump for joy!

I spend a lot of time reading hockey news off all the major sites and message boards and the only Liles rumour I saw last year had us interested in him with Giguere looking to land Ladd in return.

I spend a lot of time reading hockey news off all the major sites and message boards and the only Liles rumour I saw last year had us interested in him with Giguere looking to land Ladd in return.

Yes that is the one I have heard. I thought there were more but I see there wasn't. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Could we sign one of the remaining FA vets out there. Bryan Berard and Janne Niinima (I know he's old) are two names I've seen out there.

Could we sign one of the remaining FA vets out there. Bryan Berard and Janne Niinima (I know he's old) are two names I've seen out there.

not without going over our self imposed cap, we need to move a forward (letowski).

Nope. We are already $800K over our self-imposed budget.

Only way we get another defenseman is via trade.

not without going over our self imposed cap, we need to move a forward (letowski).

And Letowski only costs $800k so at a $ for $ swap, you won't get much of an FA. Having said that, I think we're far deeper at forwards to call up from Albany (if needed) than decent defenseman. I rather dump Letowski for some prospects, draft picks or whatever, and sign a FA NHL level starting (albeit 3rd pair talent) defenseman.

And Letowski only costs $800k so at a $ for $ swap, you won't get much of an FA. Having said that, I think we're far deeper at forwards to call up from Albany (if needed) than decent defenseman. I rather dump Letowski for some prospects, draft picks or whatever, and sign a FA NHL level starting (albeit 3rd pair talent) defenseman.

Being 800K over the "cap" assumes that we keep the roster we have, which I don't think is a guarantee...

Being 800K over the "cap" assumes that we keep the roster we have, which I don't think is a guarantee...

JR stated that he is content with the roster we have, might move a forward for a Dman but only if the right deal comes along.

No thanks On Berard. He's coming off back surgery and Columbus is wary enough of that to not want to re-sign him so I wouldn't take a chance either. Niinimaa isn't very good defensively either. Only defensemen on the market that I'd want to see playing here are Sopel or Markov, preferrably Sopel.

Pitkanen signed a one year, $2.4 million deal today with the oilers. Put out an offer sheet on that guy next year, JR.

No thanks On Berard. He's coming off back surgery and Columbus is wary enough of that to not want to re-sign him so I wouldn't take a chance either. Niinimaa isn't very good defensively either. Only defensemen on the market that I'd want to see playing here are Sopel or Markov, preferrably Sopel.

Pitkanen signed a one year, $2.4 million deal today with the oilers. Put out an offer sheet on that guy next year, JR.

Agree 100% on staying away from Berard.

I'd steer well clear of Pitkanen too. The fact he signed for $2.4 million shows Philly's real motives in moving him and they weren't financial. They gave up, and I can see why and agree, on a guy who doesn't think the game well enough to fully utilize his talent. He has outstanding skill but too often a .10 mind.

Thx for the info on Berard. I didn't realize he had back surgery. That's a big red flag. We do need one more Dman though. Sopel might indeed be the best option.

.....I may have missed something but are you suggesting two forwards on the point? That is a situational strategy only used late in a game when trailing and going on the PP or if you have a key 5-on-3....

No I'm suggesting a F/D combo. I just want anyone that can handle the puck with speed to get back on D.

Siedenberg needs to be the defensive anchor on the PP. He has good answers for all the points raised in this discussion: a great shot, excellent speed, passing ability, offensive-minded but knows how to stay at home (or get back home). He's also ready to take one for the team: he made plays last year to keep the puck in the offensive end in even-strength situations that our other guys would have "heard footsteps" on, though some of that can be chalked up to the general lack of urgency the team displayed all year.

I've watched Siedenberg progress in the NHL. He has more than enough talent to get the job done on the PP. Perhaps more important, he is still new enough to the team that giving him a spot on the PP might send a message to some of the D-men who dozed through most of last year.

Siedenberg needs to be the defensive anchor on the PP. He has good answers for all the points raised in this discussion: a great shot, excellent speed, passing ability, offensive-minded but knows how to stay at home (or get back home). He's also ready to take one for the team: he made plays last year to keep the puck in the offensive end in even-strength situations that our other guys would have "heard footsteps" on, though some of that can be chalked up to the general lack of urgency the team displayed all year.

I've watched Siedenberg progress in the NHL. He has more than enough talent to get the job done on the PP. Perhaps more important, he is still new enough to the team that giving him a spot on the PP might send a message to some of the D-men who dozed through most of last year.

I thought he did a decent job on the point last year but as the #7 Dman, he will only play when Lavi goes with only 11 forwards. Like Hutch though Siedenberg can be such a liability on defense that he only gets limited minutes at even strength.

He does show a degree of calm on the point but his decision-making still isn't great. I remember one time he committed the cardinal sin of diving to keep a puck in the zone on a PP, which is a huge gamble. He has talent but he needs to harness it and consistency is a huge issue for him. He started out quite well when he first got here but then just bottomed out and deservedly ended up in the press box.

My personal opinion is that we need to shake up the defense men still. The defense men looked really slow last year on the ice and gave away TONS of cheap goals from give-aways. That being said, my vote is to get Wardo back or someone like him. He was the most versatile Dman that we have had recently.

My personal opinion is that we need to shake up the defense men still. The defense men looked really slow last year on the ice and gave away TONS of cheap goals from give-aways. That being said, my vote is to get Wardo back or someone like him. He was the most versatile Dman that we have had recently.

that wouldn't be enough of a shakeup and he had issues too!!

that wouldn't be enough of a shakeup and he had issues too!!

All I'm saying is that what we have now for Dmen isn't enough to take the Cup again. On a lighter note though, I smile everytime I think about that Culley is back! Welcome back Matt!