The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cc

Lessons to be learned

I agree and feel your pain, I was a Braves fan when they really stunk. Would watch their games to see them get beat by all the good teams. maintained my STH status thru '02, '03, '04 (lockout) and was rewared in '05-'06. I remember the first few games of '05, the one thing i noticed was that no matter the outcome of the games - these guys were fighters!! Didn't think for a minute we would end up with the cup but one thing I knew for certian is that we would not go down without a fight.

That goes for all sports. I have been a Cowboys fan for 30 years. I can still remeber the year we won only 1 game. That was my superbowl and what a 1 man party I had.

As a fellow Cowboys fan I do believe that the year you are referring to was the year that the one game we won was against the Deadskins - which made it all the sweeter! :lol:

I think that the Slugs get a lot of bandwagon fans every year. I hope for the team's sake (and the sake of the true fans) that they don't come back next year.

There's nothing wrong with venting or expressing frustration, but you need to stay on board. It's easy to ride the wave when things are good, but the true measure of a fan comes when the wave breaks and you have to wait to catch the next one. Too many times, "fans" want to jump ship and start criticizing the same team that they applauded only months before. Discussions usually go from using "we" and "us" to "they" and "them." Simply put, it's a defense mechanism for some people. They don't want to be associated with a "loser," so they try to distance themselves. IMO, they're the textbook example of a fair-weather fan.

I have noticed that Ruffie boy seemed to have learned from us and looks to be following Lavi's example. Not as much whining and excuse making, he's got plenty of depth in his team. And as of yesterday, everyone was compairing them to who?? The Canes in 2002, making a come-back from 0-2 in the series. I think it's a bit ironic that as much as they seem to hate us they're so much like us :o

Another thing I've noticed, XM callers from western NY and the Sabre's message boards, they've been saying since last year the officials were against them and giving us ALL the breaks, all calls were in OUR favor b/c the NHL wants the market to thrive in the deep south,,,, ok now they're all saying the NHL is against them and giving the Sens all the breaks b/c the NHL wants the ratings to be good for the Canadian market :lol: Ok, come on now, make up your minds. So with this said, guess if they do pull one out and win this round, the NHL will then be wanting the western teams to thrive?

Actually heard a Sabres caller the other day on XM ask if they had ever seen so many bad calls against a team in the play-offs,, they answered back, "yes, the Islanders and the Rangers" :P

I still say there's waaay too much negativity surrounding this team (by their own fans) for them to win. The fans need to learn how to respect other teams and act like human beings. You can still be crazy and support your team without being total **editted by admin** to the entire NHL.

I agree that you have to stick with your team. I recall in Game 2, Buffalo was only down by 1 goal, but instead of the fans cheering their team on, they were booing their team. Your only down by 1 goal and your the home crowd. Cheer, get your boys into the game.

How many times have we heard our own players say that the fans in Game 7 willed them on. Edmonton players even said that having home ice in game 7 helped Carolina win. How many times have players from other teams say that their fans helped. In game 7 SCF, Caniacs were the 7th man, the energy from the crowd helped the energy of the players. This is a reason you play 82 games, to get home ice advantage.

Our last game of the regular season this year you would have thought was a Game 7 SCF. We were trailing, but yet the fans didn't boo. We kept cheering, we kept the chants going, and the boys came back and won. Not saying the Caniacs were the real true reason for that win, but we stayed behind our guys even knowing that we weren't making the playoffs and cheered for them to the very end.

I do find this quite hilarious: On XM they were talking about the Buffalo/Ottawa series and they mentioned the Caniacs. Said how the caniac nation has adopted ABB and are behind Ottawa. I thought this was great that we Caniacs got mentioned :)

I do find this quite hilarious: On XM they were talking about the Buffalo/Ottawa series and they mentioned the Caniacs. Said how the caniac nation has adopted ABB and are behind Ottawa. I thought this was great that we Caniacs got mentioned :)

Was that a caller that mentioned that? Pretty cool.

By the title of this thread, I thought the lesson to be learned was for the Buffalo fans, HUMILITY and RESPECT. A little of those would have gone a looooooooong way with all the other fanbases around the league reveling in their misery right now.

By the title of this thread, I thought the lesson to be learned was for the Buffalo fans, HUMILITY and RESPECT. A little of those would have gone a looooooooong way with all the other fanbases around the league reveling in their misery right now.

Well, of course we took an ABB stance. Just like Buffalo fans took an ABC stance we we faced Edmonton.

It's just an attempt to rile up the fans. Just like how there's a Sabres fan on their board, who has to mention she's from NC in every post, and she can't stand being around rednecks who know nothing about hockey.

An email came in from a Canes fan and then the 2 guys started talking about how the Caniacs are pulling for Ottawa and throughout the whole playoffs they have been ABB. The one calls himself Ric Flair and is a huge Ottawa fan so he kept talking about how he's been getting emails and calls from the Caniacs and how they've jumped on the bandwagon and he's loving it. :)

Another thing I've noticed, XM callers from western NY and the Sabre's message boards, they've been saying since last year the officials were against them and giving us ALL the breaks, all calls were in OUR favor b/c the NHL wants the market to thrive in the deep south,,,, ok now they're all saying the NHL is against them and giving the Sens all the breaks b/c the NHL wants the ratings to be good for the Canadian market :lol: Ok, come on now, make up your minds. So with this said, guess if they do pull one out and win this round, the NHL will then be wanting the western teams to thrive?

Actually heard a Sabres caller the other day on XM ask if they had ever seen so many bad calls against a team in the play-offs,, they answered back, "yes, the Islanders and the Rangers" :P

The lesson to be learned from all that is that the Buffalo Slugs have never actually lost a hockey game. They either win or the other team gets lucky, whether its because of bad reffing, injuries, goal reviews, bounces, or something else.

Also, we've learned there is vast NHL conspiracy to favor small-market Canadian teams.

Ok, I'm a Sabres fan..But this was just too funny:

The Sabres have been showing this video before every game to the Goo Goo Dolls song, "Better Days." It's just kind of video of that the team means to the community, and how they're both 'blue collar' and what not. Ok, this is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5JvlpWOCY8...ted&search=

And then Team 1200 in Ottawa did a lil remake of it using this song, kinda making fun of Buffalo. It's on youtube, look it up if you want to see it. lol

And this morning, WGR did one of their very funny skits, doing a new remake to this song:

http://eod.liquidviewer.com/wgr-od/wgr/20070515_goo.wma

Omg, I laughed so hard at this one!!! :D:lol::lol:

I surely hope that we NEVER see the kind of crap on our boards as I have seen on the Buffalo Boards. They were bailing on the season before the 3rd period started down by only one goal. I am sure their boards are not a true representation of the majority of the Buffalo fans. That will remain to be seen next season. As a canes fan who endured 2 dismal seasons after 02 only to rise again be for your team though thick or thin.

That goes for all sports. I have been a Cowboys fan for 30 years. I can still remeber the year we won only 1 game. That was my superbowl and what a 1 man party I had.

I have 0 love for the Buffaslugs Team but I would never wish them to experience the crap I see on their boards.

In my opinion there is only 1 person who will take the heat for this IF they do not come back and at least make it interesting . That is Lindy. He is the reigning coach of the year.

One last point. I still see less in the media of how good of Ottawa is playing then how bad Buffalo is playing. Kinda ike last year huh? (This is changing).

My 2 cents for what they are worth. (about 2 cents)

Our message boards has always been like that. We go into a slump in the middle of the regular season and we get guys that say "Sabres suck, no cup this year"

But Buffalo has a lot of loyal fans too. After you guys beat us in last year's ECF they arrived at the airport and was greated by a crowd who was chanting "thank you Sabres."

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

The problem is the Sabres fans are pissed off at the lack of effort. Last year the Sabres put on a lot of effort, and with 4 injured defensemen was 1 period away from the Stanley Cup finals. Now we're the #1 team in the NHL and we're 1 game away from being swept.

I'll admit that our cup dreams are dead :(. But I'm going to "Party at the Plaza" tomorrow to cheer on my Sabres. It was a great season, and I will follow the Sabres for the rest of my life.

GO SABRES!

bmb2jn, how come they don't put Stafford in? I liked the way he played and could really spark them with some fresh energy. Obviously the lines that Linda keeps using aren't working so what would it hurt at this point?

bmb2jn, how come they don't put Stafford in? I liked the way he played and could really spark them with some fresh energy. Obviously the lines that Linda keeps using aren't working so what would it hurt at this point?

I surely hope that we NEVER see the kind of crap on our boards as I have seen on the Buffalo Boards. They were bailing on the season before the 3rd period started down by only one goal.

Did you see these boards during the majourity of our season this year??

i went to buffalo last weekend...and last time i checked their fans are awsum!everyone has on blue and yellow. and i bet they are still wearing it.not all buffalo fans are bandwagon

Then again, last weekend, the Sabres still had a chance of winning.

Of course not all Buffalo fans are bandwagoners. However, since they were a successful team this year, there's bound to be many who are.

I remember seeing this somewhere, probably around this forum, but the Mayor (or some higher up) said something directly translating to "We suddenly have a lot of Buffalo fans".

Both of those links were hilarious. Not trying to start a fight or anything, but Melissa and bmb2jn - you are both invited to become Caniacs. I will send you the PM with the secret handshake if you want me to. With the two of you visiting, I almost feel bad about being ABB. Then, I go look at the Sabres boards (or ours when the trolls come out), and I don't feel so bad.

i went to buffalo last weekend...and last time i checked their fans are awsum!everyone has on blue and yellow. and i bet they are still wearing it.not all buffalo fans are bandwagon
After enduring their "fans" last season in the ECF, I'm cheering as much against Buffalo as the next Caniac. However, I will say this about their fans in Buffalo (not the goons they sent down here :blink: ), they fill the arena (inside and out) with NOISE and EXCITEMENT. Unless their arenas just come over dead on TV, the fans in Ottawa and Detroit mostly just sit there silently like they are attending an opera or something. So Sabres fans, I do like that passion ... oh and, GO SENS! :rolleyes: