The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cupkrazy

Staal Arrested!!!!!

Maybe all the beer was purchased in Canada where 18/19 (depending on the province) is the legal age for purchase. Also, at least it was just beer, nothing stronger or anything illegal like pros!

Oh, that's it--throw smuggling charges in there as well....

Duhh you can bring alcohol across borders as long as it is taxed in the originating country and legal in the country your taking it into. The only restriction is the amount over a certain time period. Smuggling is for illegal things in the country of destination.

From Customs flier:

Alcoholic Beverages

One liter (33.8 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages may be

included in your exemption if:

• You are 21 years old.

• It is for your own use or as a gift.

• It does not violate the laws of the state in which

you arrive.

Federal regulations allow you to bring back more than

one liter of alcoholic beverage for personal use, but,

as with extra tobacco, you will have to pay duty and

Internal Revenue Service tax.

While Federal regulations do not specify a limit on the

amount of alcohol you may bring back for personal use,

unusual quantities are liable to raise suspicions that you

are importing the alcohol for other purposes, such as

for resale. CBP officers are authorized by the Bureau

of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to

make on-the-spot determinations that an importation

is for commercial purposes, and may require you to

obtain a permit to import the alcohol before releasing

it to you. If you intend to bring back a substantial

quantity of alcohol for your personal use, you should

contact the port through which you will be re-entering

the country, and make prior arrangements for entering

the alcohol into the United States

This made news in Eklund's blog, not Eklund himself, but a poster. Pretty much everyone over there is like meh, they got drunk at a bachler party so what.

This will be off the radar by Friday probably

im glad it wasn't anything worse, just a little noise, not dogfighting, etc..

Arrested sounds a bit severe to me. Being inconsiderate is not a serious crime. Could it be some small town cop thought that he saw the opportunity to make the evening SportCenter?

With all the other "stuff" going on with pro athletes / entertainers, this is powder puff, I can't imagine anyone making anything big of this .... except in Buffalo.

im glad it wasn't anything worse, just a little noise, not dogfighting, etc..

Arrested sounds a bit severe to me. Being inconsiderate is not a serious crime. Could it be some small town cop thought that he saw the opportunity to make the evening SportCenter?

With all the other "stuff" going on with pro athletes / entertainers, this is powder puff, I can't imagine anyone making anything big of this .... except in Buffalo.

Here it is from tsn.ca

Jordan was charged with underaged drinking and the others were charged with being very stupid when drunk.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=214589&hubname=

Technically if you are detained (stopped) by a law enforcement officer you have been arrested, you don't even have to receive a citation, if you do then you have been accused of a crime. You don't have to go to jail to be considered arrested.

Meh, whatever. Just kids being dumb at a bachelor party, nothing to worry about. Biggest thing we have to worry about is Buffalo fans coming down on October 24 and trying to act stupid about this.

Staal did spend a night in jail, according to TSN. Probably to sober up more than anything else.

No one's going to question Staal's toughness now. He's done time! ;)

If this were Jeff O'Neill, people would be having spaz attacks.

That said...whatever. Boys will be boys, and as long as he wasn't driving, I don't care.

Stop being a bunch of apologists! Staal did something stupid and immature and people say "no big thing." Please think of the what-ifs from a situation like this. Even in Wake county young people are killed/injured coming from similar activities. If he was told to do something by the police, and he did not do it, he deserved to get nailed. Why the Vick comparasions?

If this were Jeff O'Neill, people would be having spaz attacks.

That said...whatever. Boys will be boys, and as long as he wasn't driving, I don't care.

Its different with Jeff, he was out getting drunk every chance he got. I can't even count the number of times he was arrested by the Raleigh Police department for DWI and such.

Eric was just having fun at his bachelor party. Its not like we hear him getting drunk every weekend, pissing in the parking lots, and getting hit with DWI at least once every 2 months, like a certain Jeff O'Neil.

Stop being a bunch of apologists! Staal did something stupid and immature and people say "no big thing." Please think of the what-ifs from a situation like this. Even in Wake county young people are killed/injured coming from similar activities. If he was told to do something by the police, and he did not do it, he deserved to get nailed. Why the Vick comparasions?

I think its b/c a bunch of us can relate. They got drunk and acted stupid. Been there done that when I was his age. When your 22, you don't always make the best decisions. Now that i'm older, I look back on those stupid times and think wow, I'm surprised I got away with that or I'm surprised I didn't get killed doing that. Its just not out of the ordinary, it happens every day.

Was it stupid, yeah, but its really not a big deal. We've all done stupid things like this in our life, well most of us anyway, so its easy for us to say, no big deal.

Yes, he did something stupid and immature. No, we don't admire it. But who doesn't do things they're not proud of when they're 22? This sort of thing happens every weekend in Boone and no one thinks twice about it unless it's happening next door and keeping them up. I'm sure I've been yelled at by a bunch of drunks as I drove by and didn't think twice about it. There's nothing unusual about this except the people involved and nothing at all that we know of that jeopardized anyone's safety or property, like vandalism, driving, or throwing stuff at people.

Besides, according to the TSN article, he did do what he was told. The cops came in and told them to shut up, so he and Jordan went to their rooms. Some of the others didn't and everyone got kicked out, including the ones who had cooperated. After that they probably wandered around trying to figure out what to do and where to go to get some sleep, and a few of the dumber ones started yelling at cars. Eric may have been one of them or he may not have been, but since they were all in a group they all got arrested.

The reason for the Vick comparisons is that there are plenty of bigger stories in the sports world, and a couple of hockey players and their friends making idiots of themselves during and after a party is relatively inconsequential.

Look at it this way they were responsible enough to take it to a resort and not be driving or bar hopping :rolleyes: Maybe it wasn't the wisest thing to then be on a road "harassing" drivers after they left the resort.

Not sure why authorities had all parties removed from resort, waking people up to kick them out because someone else keeps acting stupid? I would think that could increase the chance of a DW/UI.

yeah i just heard this on the radio a few minutes ago. i really hope hes still on NHL 08 i dont see why they would take him off though.

his brother jordan also got arrested for being to young to drink too, so that isnt good either (although it doesnt really effect the canes)

The EA cover was the first thing I thought of. I hope he's not taken off it. It was pretty stupid, but I hope it blows over soon.

you don't get pulled for that, you get pulled for dog fighting!! on the news it stated that Eric listen to the cops and behaved but was arrested for being there. They are misdemeanor charges which amount to removing mattress tags. His agent has stated they felt the charges will be dropped. So you are worrying about nothing.

Give the guy a break!! It was his freaking bachelor party!!

The EA cover was the first thing I thought of. I hope he's not taken off it. It was pretty stupid, but I hope it blows over soon.

you don't get pulled for that, you get pulled for dog fighting!! on the news it stated that Eric listen to the cops and behaved but was arrested for being there. They are misdemeanor charges which amount to removing mattress tags. His agent has stated they felt the charges will be dropped. So you are worrying about nothing.

Give the guy a break!! It was his freaking bachelor party!!

yeah seriously, so he got arrested for having fun and partying on his bachelor night, you cant count how many other, non famous people get arrested for doing something like that

he was too loud, got kicked out of the hotel, and yelled at passing cars, got arrested...whats done is done

and 10 years from now, he'll look back on it and think how stupid he was, and maybe even laugh about it

What if, two very big words, Staal would have stumbled around or some drunk friend fell on him and Staal's knee was torn up or an ankle? Would this be brushed off as guys having fun? Yes, we know that did not happen but what about at the next big party. Remember Steve Chaisson?