The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cupkrazy

Staal Arrested!!!!!

Just yesteday (July 26-2007) I attended the funeral of a 19 year old young lady who was the daughter of a close friend. This young lady was killed in an alcohol-related car crash. Yes, the Staal's were stupid, stupidity that arises from the exhuberance of youthful folly mixed with alcohol, and yes, I have been there, and it was wrong then and wrong now. They should be embarrassed and I hope they learn from it. The consequences could have just as easily been disasterous. What if one or more of the individuals along the highway had been hit by a car? Then would this incident be taken lightlyly? It could have just easily happened as not. It is probably sheer good fortune that no one was hit. Let's not just write this off as "no big deal", but use it as a teaching tool. It was stupid and wrong, anyway you slice it. It is especially bad given what else is going on in other sports. For me, one of the allures of hockey is the players actually behave as if they are civilized off the ice and can carry on an intelligent conversation. I hope the Staal's sincerely apologise and face the music. Also, for those you say this is no big deal, remember Steve Chaison.

Just yesteday (July 26-2007) I attended the funeral of a 19 year old young lady who was the daughter of a close friend. This young lady was killed in an alcohol-related car crash. Yes, the Staal's were stupid, stupidity that arises from the exhuberance of youthful folly mixed with alcohol, and yes, I have been there, and it was wrong then and wrong now. They should be embarrassed and I hope they learn from it. The consequences could have just as easily been disasterous. What if one or more of the individuals along the highway had been hit by a car? Then would this incident be taken lightlyly? It could have just easily happened as not. It is probably sheer good fortune that no one was hit. Let's not just write this off as "no big deal", but use it as a teaching tool. It was stupid and wrong, anyway you slice it. It is especially bad given what else is going on in other sports. For me, one of the allures of hockey is the players actually behave as if they are civilized off the ice and can carry on an intelligent conversation. I hope the Staal's sincerely apologise and face the music. Also, for those you say this is no big deal, remember Steve Chaison.

I think you are overreacting a bit to this with the small amount of information everyone has on this. We know that they were responsible enough to goto bed when the police came out and warned them the first time. I don't think we have seen anything that shows they were part of the ones that were doing the yelling(or how much yelling if they were) on the side of the highway. Have we seen a report on what their blood alcohol level was? You assume many things that we haven't seen printed yet about the story. If more information was given to support what you're saying then I would change my opinion.

As someone else already stated they could have easily got in cars and drove off somewhere else... They were at least responsible enough to not do that. People can drink and have fun responsibly. Unfortunately when you get enough beer and people together it can get out of hand... I don't think I'm ready to lynch anyone over some yelling at cars and the possibility of a passerby getting mooned.

Apologize for what? They weren't drinking and driving, they weren't being dangerous... all they were guilty of was having a good time during a bachelor's party...

If thats a crime, then I don't know many people that would not have a criminal offense on their permanent record right now...

Apologize for what? They weren't drinking and driving, they weren't being dangerous... all they were guilty of was having a good time during a bachelor's party...

If thats a crime, then I don't know many people that would not have a criminal offense on their permanent record right now...

Agree with no apology for the ones that obeyed the warning. For underage drinking (if you wanna call 18 underage) you pay the price.

There is only one way to solve this issue. Its called Prohibition and we all know how well that worked. You cannot convince non -drinkers ,non-smokers or any other nons that allowing others to do what they will is OK.

I understand people get hurt by Alcohol. Unfortunatley having any one group set the rules for everyone else does not work either. This is a sad fact of our society but this incident should not be lumped into the more ersious ones related to alcohol.

I keep hearing how stupid and immature this was. I reckon a large portion of the tailgating crowd is stupid and immature also. It all comes down to how you handle yoursef when drinking and the drinking cannot be an excuse for that behaviour. No one puts a gun to your head before you open that beer or down that shot. It is a choice and that person along with all the others around them can be affected.

Why don't we revoke the liscenses of anyone who gets caught speeding more than once also. It was their choice to do so and they kill peolpe too. Would that be fair . Would the non-speeders be happy then?

This whole indcident has been blown WAYYYYYYYYY out of proportion. Makes me sick (again) with media coverage of any kind.

Just my opinions no ore valid than anyone elses. Sorry for getting on my soapbox. You can't legislate morality.

Apologize for what? They didn't do anything wrong but have a good time at a bachelor party. Here is what we know of from the reports:

-they were responsible enough to get rooms at the resort knowing alcohol was going to be in the picture

-when the cops came the first time, Eric and Jordan went to their room to go to bed

-Eric and Jordan were woken up to leave the resort as the hotel no longer wanted them there as others in their party continued to be disorderly

-instead of driving to the nearest hotel, they walked. was it smart to walk along a highway, no, but then again how do we know there were back roads to the nearest hotel. Not only that, this resort is in the middle of nowhere, sorry, but I can't see the highway having much traffice at 3am in the middle of nowhere.

-we don't know that Eric and Jordan were ones participating in the yelling at cars or whatever it is they were doing

Not only this, but think about it. 14 guys get arrested. Out of the 14, 2 are the big news. And why are they the big news, b/c their NHL players. If they were just ordinary guys like you and me, this wouldn't even be news. I think this is what some people tend to forget. They didn't do anything wrong and the only reason their in the news is b/c of their name.

Unless other information comes out that says Eric and/or Jordan spit, hit, or was abusive to the cops or tourists at the resort, then yeah, they need to apologize. But I'm not gonna say they need to apologize for having a good time at a bachelor party. Crap, I would be doing a whole lot of apologizing if we have to apologize every time we have fun.

Apologize for what? They didn't do anything wrong but have a good time at a bachelor party. Here is what we know of from the reports:

-they were responsible enough to get rooms at the resort knowing alcohol was going to be in the picture

-when the cops came the first time, Eric and Jordan went to their room to go to bed

-Eric and Jordan were woken up to leave the resort as the hotel no longer wanted them there as others in their party continued to be disorderly

-instead of driving to the nearest hotel, they walked. was it smart to walk along a highway, no, but then again how do we know there were back roads to the nearest hotel. Not only that, this resort is in the middle of nowhere, sorry, but I can't see the highway having much traffice at 3am in the middle of nowhere.

-we don't know that Eric and Jordan were ones participating in the yelling at cars or whatever it is they were doing

Not only this, but think about it. 14 guys get arrested. Out of the 14, 2 are the big news. And why are they the big news, b/c their NHL players. If they were just ordinary guys like you and me, this wouldn't even be news. I think this is what some people tend to forget. They didn't do anything wrong and the only reason their in the news is b/c of their name.

Unless other information comes out that says Eric and/or Jordan spit, hit, or was abusive to the cops or tourists at the resort, then yeah, they need to apologize. But I'm not gonna say they need to apologize for having a good time at a bachelor party. Crap, I would be doing a whole lot of apologizing if we have to apologize every time we have fun.

I agree, if everyone on the forum got together at 300's and re-inacted this same scenario it would not even make the N&O never the less the front page.

We would have more to fear from 300 than the police!! LOL

It sells papers.

but only tabloids not real papers

Yea... the Toronto Star running this like they did was insanity... I mean it had 'Access Hollywood', 'Extra!', etc written all over it... just a shameless attempt to get issues sold by blowing up an otherwise very inconsequential event into something big...

I agree, if everyone on the forum got together at 300's and re-inacted this same scenario it would not even make the N&O never the less the front page.

We would have more to fear from 300 than the police!! LOL

Soooooo, what time are we all suppose to show up?? :D

LMFAO!!! "Hey Brind'Amour! Stop giving Crosby swirlies!!!!" Oh god, I can SOOOO see that!! That's hysterical!

Thanks for posting, Melissa. :lol:

This was on the first page of the Peterborough newspaper. I was at hockey camp monday through friday in peterborough and it was a big deal up their. The Staals were in their rooms when the cops came though so they didnt really do a lot wrong.

What can we say, boys will be boys. It's too bad that things got out of hand,especiallywith Jordan drinking. If this is the worst thing a hockey player does we are still doing better than other sports atheletes.

Did anyone see this in the N&O this AM? It was under the "Letters to the sports editor". I was surprised this guy feels this strongly about the whole thing. I had to chuckle after I read it.

"Published: Aug 05, 2007 12:30 AM Modified: Aug 05, 2007 04:35 AM

Letters to the sports editor

Canes' inaction over Staal's arrest is sad

So no disciplinary action will be taken by the Carolina Hurricanes in regards to Eric Staal's arrest for disorderly conduct?

That's a great message the Hurricanes are sending to the young people in this community -- if you are popular, young, rich and athletically talented, and you act like a jerk and get arrested, the team you are the public face for doesn't think it matters.

It is obvious that the attitudes of the NBA, NFL and other sporting organizations have carried over to the NHL: "You are better than everyone else because you are a professional athlete. Go on out there, have a good time, drink, party, get arrested, no problem! We'll look the other way!"

Pathetic. I would have expected better from the management of a Stanley Cup-winning team. I'll think twice before going to a Hurricanes game this season.

K.D. Wade

Raleigh"

http://www.newsobserver.com/print/sunday/s...ory/660584.html