The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeydad-ch1

Aaron Ward coming back

Just like he was reporting last week we were in the running for Peca, O'Neill, Markannen and Belfour. This rumour makes no sense. Look at the contract he's on, we don't have the money. We'd have to move someone else and who would it be? There just isn't anyone.

Eklund is reporting that Aaron Ward may be on his way back.

Cullen and Ward back in the fold????

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8955''>http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8955' target="_blank">http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8955[/post]

Um, I like Ward but not sure we have anything on D that we would have to give up for him that I would consider an upgrade in getting Ward. Seems to me it would be tit-for-tat. I do think some players like Ward can only really be "good players" when playing for certain franchises. From that perspective, Ward probably would love to come back to Carolina (not to mention he still has a home here and loves the area).

Rumors like this I like.....Like other people have said, I just dont see how it is possible money wise to do it. If money is not an object, who would we get rid of to do it? Sederburg and Anton?

Rumors like this I like.....Like other people have said, I just dont see how it is possible money wise to do it. If money is not an object, who would we get rid of to do it? Sederburg and Anton?

Seidenberg's salary cap hit is only $850k and Babchuk isn't signed so doesn't help lower our pay roll. We're already over our self-imposed cap and there's no one on this team making enough money that is worth moving to bring back Ward.

given that they want to clear cap space that would do it but down Boston want that?? I for one would love to see Ward back but not if it digs us into any kind of deeper hole.

All I say is bring him BACK!!!!!!!Get rid of Wesley and Gleason.......!

:blink:

You cannot possibly be a fan of this team if you could propose such a deal. I understand you may love Ward but bringing him back is not in the teams best interests and especially not at this cost. I can't even believe what I'm reading still. Wesley is a cane until the day he retires and Gleason is our future top pairing defenseman (hopefull).

Hedican, maybe, but not Wesley or Gleason. That's just blasphemous. :blink:

they need to clear cap space and the only thing that works for us is to part with Sieds and Babs.

Hedican, maybe, but not Wesley or Gleason. That's just blasphemous. :blink:

they need to clear cap space and the only thing that works for us is to part with Sieds and Babs.

Already been proposed and I already said that won't work. Babchuk isn't under contract and Seidenberg only makes $850k. Moving them and bringing in Ward would have us at around $46 million a year and that's way over our budget. Man, I can't wait until this rumor gets struck down because this is ridiculous.

Unless we move Erik Cole in another deal, this trade can't and won't happen.

Please, let's not bring up those stupid Cole rumors again. Those finally died down.

Unless we move Erik Cole in another deal, this trade can't and won't happen.

Please, let's not bring up those stupid Cole rumors again. Those finally died down.

It has to be brought up. He's the only player that could be moved to make this type of trade worthwhile financially. If we trade any of our defensemen for Aaron Ward, it's a lateral move at best. We trade Erik Cole, we likely acquire a solid top-nine forward and add Aaron Ward to our current crop of defensemen.

Dumb question.... Can a player re-write their contract before it expires? I am not sure what Aaron makes but say could he re-write it to say equal to Wesley's?

it can be renegotiated but usually they don't.

Dumb question.... Can a player re-write their contract before it expires? I am not sure what Aaron makes but say could he re-write it to say equal to Wesley's?

I believe players can restructure their contract, but Aaron Ward has little motivation to do so. If he wanted to be here at a discount, he could've just re-signed last offseason and not taken the money in New York.

We should wait until next off season when Aaron can be had for cheap. He's making too much right now to fit our budget. And I don't see JR trading Seidenberg for him either. We need Seidenberg to be the 7th defenseman. Otherwise, which defenseman do you sit to play Ward, Hedican nor Wesley won't be benched, so that leaves Wallin, Commodore, Kaberle or Gleason. Neither of these will be press boxers.

Only way JR gets Ward back is if Hedican decides to retire. If we go into training camp/preseason and Hedican retires, then I can see JR possibly bringing back Ward. Other than that, won't happen.

And personally I wouldn't want to trade Cole or Williams or Ladd, etc to make salary for Ward when he can be signed via FA next year and sign for cheaper.

Seidenberg's salary cap hit is only $850k and Babchuk isn't signed so doesn't help lower our pay roll. We're already over our self-imposed cap and there's no one on this team making enough money that is worth moving to bring back Ward.

Oh please!

We are 8million under the CAP. Yes JR has a self imposed cap of 44mil. However you do not walk away from a good deal to stay under a self imposed cap. This gets us Ward back for a 1.9 cap hit this year (If Seidenberg is part of the trade). This for a player that WANTS to be here and is WORTH it makes sense.

Ward's cap hit is 2.7mil...

Trade Seidenberg a few prospects or draft position and lets get back to the finals...

I believe players can restructure their contract, but Aaron Ward has little motivation to do so. If he wanted to be here at a discount, he could've just re-signed last offseason and not taken the money in New York.

He wants to come back, said so himself. I think he realized the grass ain't always greener. Rumor had it that he called JR to see about coming back.

Oh please!

We are 8million under the CAP. Yes JR has a self imposed cap of 44mil. However you do not walk away from a good deal to stay under a self imposed cap. This gets us Ward back for a 1.9 cap hit this year (If Seidenberg is part of the trade). This for a player that WANTS to be here and is WORTH it makes sense.

Ward's cap hit is 2.7mil...

Trade Seidenberg a few prospects or draft position and lets get back to the finals...

Everyone is overrating Ward just because he was a part of the cup winning team. Trading Cole for a top 9 forward and Ward, what a joke. JR said they'd be willing to go over the budget for the right guy, that's not Ward. Hockey is a business, you can't get all sentimental when you're in it to make money. Ward is not that good.

Everyone is overrating Ward just because he was a part of the cup winning team. Trading Cole for a top 9 forward and Ward, what a joke. JR said they'd be willing to go over the budget for the right guy, that's not Ward. Hockey is a business, you can't get all sentimental when you're in it to make money. Ward is not that good.

Agreed.

Let's trade a 28 year old Cole, so we can get 33 year old Ward back. Ok. Not to mention Cole brings alot more to the table than Ward does.

I like Ward just as much as anyone, but to give up a Top 6 forward just so we can attain his salary is a bit much. If Hedican does decide to retire, then I wouldn't mind bringing Ward back and at this time we might even be able to ship Letowski off as part of the deal. But to trade a Top 6 forward to make room for Ward's salary is absurd.

And like I said in my other post, if you trade Seidenberg, who gets benched. It most definetly won't be Hedican or Wesley, the org just won't do that. Won't be Ward cause you just traded for him. So that leaves Commodore, Wallin, Kaberle and Gleason. Sorry, but these guys won't be in the pressbox. These guys will be your set in stone defense come next season.

Would it be nice to have Ward back, Yes, but let's think logically here. Unless Hedican retires, we don't have room in the budget for him and moving Seidenberg for him makes as much sense as trading Cole to make room.

Agreed.

Let's trade a 28 year old Cole, so we can get 33 year old Ward back. Ok. Not to mention Cole brings alot more to the table than Ward does.

I like Ward just as much as anyone, but to give up a Top 6 forward just so we can attain his salary is a bit much. If Hedican does decide to retire, then I wouldn't mind bringing Ward back and at this time we might even be able to ship Letowski off as part of the deal. But to trade a Top 6 forward to make room for Ward's salary is absurd.

And like I said in my other post, if you trade Seidenberg, who gets benched. It most definetly won't be Hedican or Wesley, the org just won't do that. Won't be Ward cause you just traded for him. So that leaves Commodore, Wallin, Kaberle and Gleason. Sorry, but these guys won't be in the pressbox. These guys will be your set in stone defense come next season.

Would it be nice to have Ward back, Yes, but let's think logically here. Unless Hedican retires, we don't have room in the budget for him and moving Seidenberg for him makes as much sense as trading Cole to make room.

Just to clarify, the poster had said a top 9 forward (so a third liner, otherwise say top six) and Ward for Cole, still a ripoff. The only ridiculous deal that has actually been proposed in this thread is Gleason and Wesley for Ward hahaha

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/car.html

Although JR is already over his "self-imposed cap," we actually are over 4.4 million under the actual NHL cap. It's pretty much decided that JR isn't bringing back Carter, Tanabe, Babchuk, or Vasicek, so I say we go after Ward if we're not going after anyone else, it would not hurt at all to have him in the fold again.

That said, if we are going to spend more, I'd rather see us get another quality forward. Also, I wouldn't trade more than a couple draft picks for Ward...although I miss him and think he's a good player, I actually like Seidenberg's offensive upside a little better and would not want to give him up for Ward.

We shouldn't be giving up more draft picks anyways, we need to build our system. And you think if we're going to spend we should get another forward? Another forward is the last thing we need; our forwards are great. Some of the responses in this thread boggle the mind :huh: