The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeydad-ch1

Aaron Ward coming back

Just to clarify, the poster had said a top 9 forward (so a third liner, otherwise say top six) and Ward for Cole, still a ripoff. The only ridiculous deal that has actually been proposed in this thread is Gleason and Wesley for Ward hahaha

Ok Ladd for Ward :lol: Still a big fat NO in my book.

I agree, Gleason/Wesley is ridiculous. Gleason, our future Top 4 defenseman. Gleason who is 24. So we can have Ward for what 2 years before he starts getting the injury bug. :lol::lol::lol:

And Wesley just won't be traded unless he goes to JR himself and says 'I want to be traded'.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/car.html''>http://www.nhlnumbers.com/car.html' target="_blank">http://www.nhlnumbers.com/car.html[/post]

Although JR is already over his "self-imposed cap," we actually are over 4.4 million under the actual NHL cap. It's pretty much decided that JR isn't bringing back Carter, Tanabe, Babchuk, or Vasicek, so I say we go after Ward if we're not going after anyone else, it would not hurt at all to have him in the fold again.

That said, if we are going to spend more, I'd rather see us get another quality forward. Also, I wouldn't trade more than a couple draft picks for Ward...although I miss him and think he's a good player, I actually like Seidenberg's offensive upside a little better and would not want to give him up for Ward.

JR and PK set a budget for reason. Just because we are 4.4 million under the cap, doesn't mean PK has the money to spend up to the cap.

And another quality forward are you kidding. Who in this group isn't a quality forward:

Staal, Stillman, Cole, Whitney, Williams, Brind'Amour, Walker, Cullen, Ladd.

I didn't include Hamilton, LaRose, Adams, and Letowski cause they will be delegated to 4th line. We have a hell of a Top 9 and you want another quality forward. Where exactly would we put this quality forward?

Man is it a full moon or what.

I am for bringing back Ward but no way would I rid the team of Gleason, Cole or anyone. I also believe strongly in the $44.8M self imposed cap and we need to stay there. I like Hedican and if he is healthy, his is good for the team. I also like the fact that his wife and him live here but as soon as his playing days in Carolina are over, they leave.

If Hedican leaves or retires, that opens up the room for a good puck moving d-man. Who? I am not sure.

I wonder if JR does not wait out until the beginning of the season and then signs Tanabe on the cheap to a one year deal and maybe ships out Letowski for an AHLer with a 2-way contract and/or a 3rd or 4th round draft pick ?

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/car.html

Although JR is already over his "self-imposed cap," we actually are over 4.4 million under the actual NHL cap. It's pretty much decided that JR isn't bringing back Carter, Tanabe, Babchuk, or Vasicek, so I say we go after Ward if we're not going after anyone else, it would not hurt at all to have him in the fold again.

That said, if we are going to spend more, I'd rather see us get another quality forward. Also, I wouldn't trade more than a couple draft picks for Ward...although I miss him and think he's a good player, I actually like Seidenberg's offensive upside a little better and would not want to give him up for Ward.

JR and PK set a budget for reason. Just because we are 4.4 million under the cap, doesn't mean PK has the money to spend up to the cap.

And another quality forward are you kidding. Who in this group isn't a quality forward:

I didn't include Hamilton, LaRose, Adams, and Letowski cause they will be delegated to 4th line. We have a hell of a Top 9 and you want another quality forward. Where exactly would we put this quality forward?

My mind was really on Letowski. I think if we could get someone good for about 1.5 mil or so, then we should. Looking at our defense, I don't see any obvious holes - that's why I was in favor of getting another forward if we could do it for a reasonable price. If not, no big deal. IMO, Hedican should be good for one more year, but obviously I'll have some people disagree with me on that.

Everyone is overrating Ward just because he was a part of the cup winning team. Trading Cole for a top 9 forward and Ward, what a joke. JR said they'd be willing to go over the budget for the right guy, that's not Ward. Hockey is a business, you can't get all sentimental when you're in it to make money. Ward is not that good.

Agreed.

Let's trade a 28 year old Cole, so we can get 33 year old Ward back. Ok. Not to mention Cole brings alot more to the table than Ward does.

I like Ward just as much as anyone, but to give up a Top 6 forward just so we can attain his salary is a bit much. If Hedican does decide to retire, then I wouldn't mind bringing Ward back and at this time we might even be able to ship Letowski off as part of the deal. But to trade a Top 6 forward to make room for Ward's salary is absurd.

And like I said in my other post, if you trade Seidenberg, who gets benched. It most definetly won't be Hedican or Wesley, the org just won't do that. Won't be Ward cause you just traded for him. So that leaves Commodore, Wallin, Kaberle and Gleason. Sorry, but these guys won't be in the pressbox. These guys will be your set in stone defense come next season.

Would it be nice to have Ward back, Yes, but let's think logically here. Unless Hedican retires, we don't have room in the budget for him and moving Seidenberg for him makes as much sense as trading Cole to make room.

Just to clarify, the poster had said a top 9 forward (so a third liner, otherwise say top six) and Ward for Cole, still a ripoff. The only ridiculous deal that has actually been proposed in this thread is Gleason and Wesley for Ward hahaha

I wouldn't include Erik Cole in the deal to Boston anyway, they want to shed salary and Cole would just pile on to what they already have. I'd trade Erik Cole to the Vancouver Canucks for Matt Cooke or Taylor Pyatt, Alexander Edler or Luc Bourdon, and a draft pick. Regardless of the combination, we receive someone to take Cole's place in the top-nine, a solid defensive prospect, and a draft pick for the future. With the salary space created from Cole's departure, you work a different deal to acquire Aaron Ward from Boston.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/car.html''>http://www.nhlnumbers.com/car.html' target="_blank">http://www.nhlnumbers.com/car.html[/post]

My mind was really on Letowski. I think if we could get someone good for about 1.5 mil or so, then we should. Looking at our defense, I don't see any obvious holes - that's why I was in favor of getting another forward if we could do it for a reasonable price. If not, no big deal. IMO, Hedican should be good for one more year, but obviously I'll have some people disagree with me on that.

Find a replacement for Letowski? He'll be sitting in the press box the majority of the year as he's the odd man out on the fourth line. Besises, you don't spend $1.5 million on a fourth liner. How can you look at our defense and not see any obvious holes? Wesley is old, Hedican is injury prone and we lack a true top pairing guy as well as a #1 pp unit quarterback. You're lying to yourself if you think any of our guys are that.

I'm all for shipping off Letowski, but if we get someone for about 1.5 million, who do you bench to play him. Hamilton won't be benched, JR has pretty much set that in stone. Adams and LaRose make up your 2nd PK unit.

Its already been determined that Letowski is the odd man out. If anything he gets traded for a pick or prospect, but that's it.

As far as Hedican if he can stay healthy, I'm all for having him. He is somebody this team can use, if healthy. Thats just the big question mark with him, can he stay healthy.

And as far as one poster pointed out about Tanabe. I've been saying this for awhile. If we can trade Letowski for a pick. Then sign Tanabe for cheap. Maybe $900K or $1M, that would increase the budget by $1-2K. Much more reasonable than bringing back Ward.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/car.html

Find a replacement for Letowski? He'll be sitting in the press box the majority of the year as he's the odd man out on the fourth line. Besises, you don't spend $1.5 million on a fourth liner. How can you look at our defense and not see any obvious holes? Wesley is old, Hedican is injury prone and we lack a true top pairing guy as well as a #1 pp unit quarterback. You're lying to yourself if you think any of our guys are that.

I don't think it's wise to go out and break the bank on a defenseman who will QB the power play. I'm hoping they'll work with Kaberle on that this season. Next year, we WILL have definite holes in defense, as Hedican and Wesley are probably good for only one more year. Then, I think, is the right time to bring in a top-tier defenseman who can do that for us.

The reason I said "forward" is because, for the time being, we have seven very good defensemen. Yes, Wesley and Hedican are obviously aging, but they should be good for us this year, if not later. All I'm saying is a little more depth wouldn't hurt in case one of our front nine goes down.

And as far as one poster pointed out about Tanabe. I've been saying this for awhile. If we can trade Letowski for a pick. Then sign Tanabe for cheap. Maybe $900K or $1M, that would increase the budget by $1-2K. Much more reasonable than bringing back Ward.

That would make it seem like David Tanabe would be some type of upgrade over what we have, which he isn't. I don't want the team to re-acquire Aaron Ward, but atleast he would add much-needed toughness if he was acquired.

I don't think it's wise to go out and break the bank on a defenseman who will QB the power play. I'm hoping they'll work with Kaberle on that this season. Next year, we WILL have definite holes in defense, as Hedican and Wesley are probably good for only one more year. Then, I think, is the right time to bring in a top-tier defenseman who can do that for us.

The reason I said "forward" is because, for the time being, we have seven very good defensemen. Yes, Wesley and Hedican are obviously aging, but they should be good for us this year, if not later. All I'm saying is a little more depth wouldn't hurt in case one of our front nine goes down.

I don't agree with the statement "we have 7 very good defensemen" because we don't. I'm not saying we need to out and throw money at a remaining free agent and bring someone in, I'm happy with our defense as it stands, but you're overrating them. What do you mean Hedican and Wesley should be good this year if not later? At their age their might not be a later and we're focused on right now anyways. A little more depth? Already got that. His name is Jeff Hamilton and he was originally brought in to play 3rd line center. We really don't need any more forwards.

Players cannot reconstructure their contracts in the new CBA. Ward will make $2.75M next season.

Our need is a puck-moving defenseman that can quarterback the PP. In other words, the polar opposite of Aaron Ward. Spending this sort of money (and assets) on yet another defensive defenseman makes absolutely no sense. If he didn't win the Cup with us, this wouldn't even be discussed. He does not fill a need.

Everyone is overrating Ward just because he was a part of the cup winning team. Trading Cole for a top 9 forward and Ward, what a joke. JR said they'd be willing to go over the budget for the right guy, that's not Ward. Hockey is a business, you can't get all sentimental when you're in it to make money. Ward is not that good.

Both Aaron and Matt learned a good lesson when they went to NY. Money isn't everything. Ward fits into this team and wants to be here. Trading Cole is ridiculous- The issue we faced last year was chemistry and injury. Having Ward back with Cullen will go a long way to impacting the locker room. Having guys who want to be in that locker room goes a long way..

Players cannot reconstructure their contracts in the new CBA. Ward will make $2.75M next season.

Our need is a puck-moving defenseman that can quarterback the PP. In other words, the polar opposite of Aaron Ward. Spending this sort of money (and assets) on yet another defensive defenseman makes absolutely no sense. If he didn't win the Cup with us, this wouldn't even be discussed. He does not fill a need.

If only everyone else got it.

I don't agree with the statement "we have 7 very good defensemen" because we don't. I'm not saying we need to out and throw money at a remaining free agent and bring someone in, I'm happy with our defense as it stands, but you're overrating them. What do you mean Hedican and Wesley should be good this year if not later? At their age their might not be a later and we're focused on right now anyways. A little more depth? Already got that. His name is Jeff Hamilton and he was originally brought in to play 3rd line center. We really don't need any more forwards.

All I meant was that I don't think we really have to worry about our defense until next year. Like I said, I don't think Hedican and Wesley are good for any longer than this season, but, for RIGHT NOW, we're fine.

Originally, all I said was that I'd prefer a forward over Aaron Ward. If we can bring in a defenseman who's better (and younger) than Ward, then I'd be all for that instead of getting another forward. I just don't know if that's financially possible.

Both Aaron and Matt learned a good lesson when they went to NY. Money isn't everything. Ward fits into this team and wants to be here. Trading Cole is ridiculous- The issue we faced last year was chemistry and injury. Having Ward back with Cullen will go a long way to impacting the locker room. Having guys who want to be in that locker room goes a long way..

Now this I'll agree with cause locker room chemistry can go a long way. What I do hope, if there's any truth to Eklund's rumor, is that people don't buy into the fantasy that by recontructing the Cup team you can also recontrust all the karma, chemistry and magic that the 06 team had. That special kind of magic doesn't get created, it just happens.

Im with Frogg on this one, I never thought Cullen would come back so I'll sit and wait to see how this one pans out, if at all.

Now this I'll agree with cause locker room chemistry can go a long way. What I do hope, if there's any truth to Eklund's rumor, is that people don't buy into the fantasy that by recontructing the Cup team you can also recontrust all the karma, chemistry and magic that the 06 team had. That special kind of magic doesn't get created, it just happens.

Im with Frogg on this one, I never thought Cullen would come back so I'll sit and wait to see how this one pans out, if at all.

That would make it seem like David Tanabe would be some type of upgrade over what we have, which he isn't. I don't want the team to re-acquire Aaron Ward, but atleast he would add much-needed toughness if he was acquired.

Our need is for a puck moving defenseman that can QB the PP. Tanabe fits that mold moreso than Ward. We have a Ward on the team, his name is Tim Gleason.

Am I saying Tanabe is the best at this, No, but right now he's the cheap one that fits the mold. This team doesn't have the money, so we need to get someone cheap, right now, that's Tanabe.

Our need is for a puck moving defenseman that can QB the PP. Tanabe fits that mold moreso than Ward. We have a Ward on the team, his name is Tim Gleason.

Am I saying Tanabe is the best at this, No, but right now he's the cheap one that fits the mold. This team doesn't have the money, so we need to get someone cheap, right now, that's Tanabe.

I don't know if he is the best option available. As far as I know, Brent Sopel is still on the market and likely would cost about the same as Tanabe.

David Tanabe is not a powerplay quarterback. His best attribute is when he accidently passes the puck to the right guy at the right time. He has the shot of Anton Babchuk minus the velocity, he has the physicality of a hamburger-less Niclas Wallin, and he has the passion of an Anson Carter. He isn't the answer to anyone's problem. Unless Florida needs someone to replace the moves of Ed Belfour.

I don't know if he is the best option available. As far as I know, Brent Sopel is still on the market and likely would cost about the same as Tanabe.

David Tanabe is not a powerplay quarterback. His best attribute is when he accidently passes the puck to the right guy at the right time. He has the shot of Anton Babchuk minus the velocity, he has the physicality of a hamburger-less Niclas Wallin, and he has the passion of an Anson Carter. He isn't the answer to anyone's problem. Unless Florida needs someone to replace the moves of Ed Belfour.

Sopel will go for more than Tanabe, easily. At least $2 mil a year. You seem to forget how well Tanabe played for us towards the end of last season. I'd rather give him another chance at perhaps finally panning out for $1 mil then bring back Ward, a type of player we have plenty of, for almsot 3x that salary.

Send the rights for Babchuck and Seidenberg to the Bruins for Ward. The Bruins may be more interested in dumping salary than what they get in return. As far as Seidenberg's potential, that's all it is. We know what Ward can do. Seidenberg may or may not develop into a good D man.

Send the rights for Babchuck and Seidenberg to the Bruins for Ward. The Bruins may be more interested in dumping salary than what they get in return. As far as Seidenberg's potential, that's all it is. We know what Ward can do. Seidenberg may or may not develop into a good D man.

That doesn't clear enough cap space for us because Seidenberg makes 850k and Babchuk makes nothing as he isn't signed. It's been said at least 2 or 3 times in this thread already. We know what Ward can do and we already have plenty of guys on our roster who can do the same thing for less money. Add up the factors and there's no way he comes back.

1. His salary is high.

2. We have guys who fill the same role.

3. We have no need for another defensive defenseman like Ward.

Looking at our roster all these can be confirmed so what, other than the fact that people love him and he was on the cup winning team, makes any of you think we should get him back?

That doesn't clear enough cap space for us because Seidenberg makes 850k and Babchuk makes nothing as he isn't signed. It's been said at least 2 or 3 times in this thread already. We know what Ward can do and we already have plenty of guys on our roster who can do the same thing for less money. Add up the factors and there's no way he comes back.

1. His salary is high.

2. We have guys who fill the same role.

3. We have no need for another defensive defenseman like Ward.

Looking at our roster all these can be confirmed so what, other than the fact that people love him and he was on the cup winning team, makes any of you think we should get him back?

we need him back because we need a strong defensmen like him

and you cant just say he was on the team the last years because he was liked

from what your saying it sounds like you dont think hes good