The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeydad-ch1

Aaron Ward coming back

For one....Ward was and is not afraid of his shadow (like some we have now).

Two....like others have said, he was on our cup winning team. They had something going and if we could get that chemistry back on the team, I'm all for it. They were more than a team...they were family. I know we will never...ever get every single player back that we had that year but if you could make a few trades and go a little over our own budget just to get close, I'm all for it.

But again, like I said I have faith in JR's decisions and will stand behind whatever he decides.

Well I missed that by a long shot then. We were just talking in the office the other day about how much we were over budget. I don't know how we came up with 4 mil.

I would say JR would be a fool not to pick up Ward if they are only 800,000 over. But as I have said before, I have total faith in JR and his decisions. I can't help but think how awesome it would be to have Ward back though.

How can you say he would be a fool not to pick up Ward if we're only $800,000 over our budget. That budget was set for a reason, this is a business where they're trying to make money. We've already stretched our budget and I doubt they're going to push it even further. They said they could go over by a bit for the right guy but Ward doesn't bring anything we don't already have on this team. Cullen was the guy they wanted. If there is anything this team needs still it's a puck moving defenseman, the exact opposite of Ward. I understand people have fond memories of Ward but this is two seasons later and he doesn't have a place on the team anymore.

Anyone who really thinks we should trade for him, I'd like to hear an argument as to why we need him so bad because all I see so far is people talking about how much they'd love to have him back with nothing backing up why we should go further over our budget to bring him back.

Okay I'm ready to argue!

Aaron Ward is the type of player that would lay infront of the net to save a puck any day, hes a strong player, hes tough, hes can bring the puck up the ice and score ( I dont know what you're saying that he cant do that, WHO made the play for our first goal in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, and also who scored iit...HIM!), he has experience with playing, and knows most of the team and the playmakes

JR said he would go over to get someone worth it, Aaron is deff. worth it!

and to me it seems like you dont like Aaron, and thats why you dont want him back <_< :angry:

Okay I'm ready to argue!

Aaron Ward is the type of player that would lay infront of the net to save a puck any day, hes a strong player, hes tough, hes can bring the puck up the ice and score ( I dont know what you're saying that he cant do that, WHO made the play for our first goal in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, and also who scored iit...HIM!), he has experience with playing, and knows most of the team and the playmakes

and to me it seems like you dont like Aaron, and thats why you dont want him back <_< :angry:

I like Aaron Ward as I've already said but I like the Carolina Hurricanes even more and I want to see them succeed and do well. Therefore I don't want us to trade any picks or prospects to jeopardize our future. Our prospect pool is rather shallow and we need to keep drafting. The only players I wouldn't mind seeing moved are Babchuk or Letowski and they won't clear enough cap space so it's pointless. We already have several defensemen who play the same game as Ward and do it just as well and at a lower salary. If his salary were lower or our budget higher this may be feasible but due to our constraints and needs I see no way Ward comes back here this season unless it's at the deadline.

As far as Ward laying in front of the net to save a puck any day as well as being strong and tough...that's all true, but we have guys who do the same thing for less money as I said. I love how you say he can bring the puck up the ice and score and then try to use his goal in game 7 as proof. You're joking right? He scored off a slapper from the point, he made no play leading up to it. He's in no way an offensive defenseman and doesn't even have very good offensive skills. He's a stay at home defensive defenseman and nothing but. He did put up 25 points with us the year we won the cup but everyone put up higher numbers in our system that year. Every other year he hasn't come close to that total. As to your saying he has experience with playing and knows the guys on the team, I won't refute that. While it may be true it doesn't matter, we have no need for him when there are already guys on the roster who play the exact same game.

So save your angry smiley faces, I like Ward and would love to see him back but there is no need for him right now. Our defense did fine last year. As you may recall we gave up fewer goals than the year before but scored far less. A poor powerplay was a major factor in that and that's why the majority of us long time canes fans think if we need a defenseman it should be a puck moving one. A guy who can hit our forwards with long stretch passes to break them out as well as quarterback our first powerplay unit, leaving Kaberle to manage the second unit where we think he'll do much better.

One last thing, the only rumors involving us acquiring a defenseman this year have involved offensive guys like Pitkanen and Morris, doesn't that tell you something? JR even said himself in a few articles that he wouldn't mind adding a puck moving defenseman but doesn't feel he needs to just yet.

Just to show how truly ridiculous this rumor is look how it has evolved. Eklund is now reporting:

Two Sources have confirmed and a third is reporting part of a rumour involving a move that would send Axelsson and Ward to Carolina in exchange for a pick and a prospect may be the Cap clearing move that the Bruins would need to make to sign the much need help on D they could get in Markov.

So waitaminute here, we currently have 13 nhl forwards and 7 nhl defensemen as well as Babin who has been really impressive since signing and could see some time this year. Despite this we're supposed to acquire another forward and defenseman without moving any roster players (notice he says we'd be sending picks and prospects to Boston). There is no way we're taking on $4,600,000 more in salaries for those two guys without cutting any salary and there's no way we're carrying 14 forwards and 8 defensemen because with our two goalies we'd be over the roster limit. There's no one on our roster who should be sent down so this is impossible unless we were to trade some roster players and there's no one who should or will be traded other than Letowski and he does the same job as Axelsson for under half the salary. Axelsson and Ward aren't upgrades over anything we have now, especially at their salaries. Axelsson would be a fourth liner here and our checking line is well established. Plus he makes $1.85 mil a year. If one of our roster players were to be traded to make room for these guys it would have to be for picks and prospects so no more salary would be coming in. Only losing teams do that and we're not one of those. Our roster now can compete for the cup again, I feel. All in all, this started out with Eklund suggesting we may be a destination for Ward because he has become available and has grown into more. If they don't want him why would we.

Hopefully my ramblings make sense, this rumor makes no sense in any way. I've thought of all possible situations and it just doesn't work.

Unless they're classifying Letowski as a prospect, I can't see us picking up another forward. Our prospect pool is already pretty thin anyway. I also don't want to see us trade away more draft picks unless they're 4th rounders or later.

Not much of this rumor makes sense, unless JR convinces the Bears to take Letowski and a conditional fifth round pick off our hands.

Well I missed that by a long shot then. We were just talking in the office the other day about how much we were over budget. I don't know how we came up with 4 mil.

I would say JR would be a fool not to pick up Ward if they are only 800,000 over. But as I have said before, I have total faith in JR and his decisions. I can't help but think how awesome it would be to have Ward back though.

How can you say he would be a fool not to pick up Ward if we're only $800,000 over our budget. That budget was set for a reason, this is a business where they're trying to make money. We've already stretched our budget and I doubt they're going to push it even further. They said they could go over by a bit for the right guy but Ward doesn't bring anything we don't already have on this team. Cullen was the guy they wanted. If there is anything this team needs still it's a puck moving defenseman, the exact opposite of Ward. I understand people have fond memories of Ward but this is two seasons later and he doesn't have a place on the team anymore.

Anyone who really thinks we should trade for him, I'd like to hear an argument as to why we need him so bad because all I see so far is people talking about how much they'd love to have him back with nothing backing up why we should go further over our budget to bring him back.

Okay I'm ready to argue!

We have enough defensive defensemen and need an offensive defenseman, therefore acquiring a defensive defenseman makes no sense. What is not to understand about this? Nobody is saying Ward is a bad player, but simply that his skillset is already well represented here while we are lacking in other areas that he can not fulfill.

Say, for example, that we had a defense comprised of Tverdovsky, Seidenberg, Hutchinson, Ozolinsh, Tanabe and Babchuk. Would it be a good idea to trade for Kaberle at that point? Of course not.

Ward cannot score. He averages 15 points per 82 games (or less than 10 points a season when you factor in his injuries). That's in the Niclas Wallin land of offensive incompetence. And just like Wallin scoring three playoff OT winners does not make him an offensive defenseman, neither does Ward scoring in Game 7 make him one. Saying otherwise is a clear indication of a sentimental attachment.

Okay I'm ready to argue!

I like Aaron Ward as I've already said but I like the Carolina Hurricanes even more and I want to see them succeed and do well. Therefore I don't want us to trade any picks or prospects to jeopardize our future. Our prospect pool is rather shallow and we need to keep drafting. The only players I wouldn't mind seeing moved are Babchuk or Letowski and they won't clear enough cap space so it's pointless. We already have several defensemen who play the same game as Ward and do it just as well and at a lower salary. If his salary were lower or our budget higher this may be feasible but due to our constraints and needs I see no way Ward comes back here this season unless it's at the deadline.

As far as Ward laying in front of the net to save a puck any day as well as being strong and tough...that's all true, but we have guys who do the same thing for less money as I said. I love how you say he can bring the puck up the ice and score and then try to use his goal in game 7 as proof. You're joking right? He scored off a slapper from the point, he made no play leading up to it. He's in no way an offensive defenseman and doesn't even have very good offensive skills. He's a stay at home defensive defenseman and nothing but. He did put up 25 points with us the year we won the cup but everyone put up higher numbers in our system that year. Every other year he hasn't come close to that total. As to your saying he has experience with playing and knows the guys on the team, I won't refute that. While it may be true it doesn't matter, we have no need for him when there are already guys on the roster who play the exact same game.

So save your angry smiley faces, I like Ward and would love to see him back but there is no need for him right now. Our defense did fine last year. As you may recall we gave up fewer goals than the year before but scored far less. A poor powerplay was a major factor in that and that's why the majority of us long time canes fans think if we need a defenseman it should be a puck moving one. A guy who can hit our forwards with long stretch passes to break them out as well as quarterback our first powerplay unit, leaving Kaberle to manage the second unit where we think he'll do much better.

One last thing, the only rumors involving us acquiring a defenseman this year have involved offensive guys like Pitkanen and Morris, doesn't that tell you something? JR even said himself in a few articles that he wouldn't mind adding a puck moving defenseman but doesn't feel he needs to just yet.

Opinions are like *edit*...everyone has one. I agree with some of what you have said but I don't think you have won the argument that Ward would not be worth "dealing" for or add a lot to our D. You said it yourself....he scored 25 pts the year we won the cup. Then he was traded and we didn't give him that chance to repeat or improve with the team.

I don't think it was fair to say "that's why the majority of us long time canes fans think if we need a defenseman it should be a puck moving one" as to imply that itsSTAALgood12 and anyone who don't agree with you have not been fans very "long".

Okay I'm ready to argue!

Okay I stand corrected with Ward bringing the puck up, BUT, thats not the issue...Aaron plays pretty much under any condition

He got knocked out in Game 6 and didnt know where he was, but he still played knowing the team needed him, and thats one heck of a player

Some of our defense isnt as strong as you think it is...

That was part of our problem last year, our defense...and we finally come across someone who can defend very well...why wouldnt we want him?

Everyone has their opinion and thats fine, but I think we need him, he would be a great addition

Its not up to us, its up to JR, so we just have to wait and see what he does

Bottom line....our D sucks so it's just a matter of time before something will have to be done or miss the playoffs again. If it means trading one of our fowards (Cole) to get it done than so be it but ignoring it want make it go away. Like I said before...Hedican want make it through the season. I hope I eat those words but I don't think I will.

Opinions are like *edit*...everyone has one. I agree with some of what you have said but I don't think you have won the argument that Ward would not be worth "dealing" for or add a lot to our D. You said it yourself....he scored 25 pts the year we won the cup. Then he was traded and we didn't give him that chance to repeat or improve with the team.

I don't think it was fair to say "that's why the majority of us long time canes fans think if we need a defenseman it should be a puck moving one" as to imply that itsSTAALgood12 and anyone who don't agree with you have not been fans very "long".

Ward wasn't traded. He signed with the Rangers on his own accord.

Commodore had 29 points last year. I don't think anyone here would classify him as an offensive defenseman and he certainly belongs nowhere near a powerplay.

0 of Ward's career-high 25 points (his previous high was 14) that season came on the powerplay.

Sorry to interfere here but Ward wasn't traded away. He signed voluntarily with the Rangers as a UFA and we all know how that worked out for him. :rolleyes:

Carry on....

Sorry to interfere here but Ward wasn't traded away. He signed voluntarily with the Rangers as a UFA and we all know how that worked out for him. :rolleyes:

Carry on....

I don't overrated our defense, but I think you seriously overrate Ward. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Taking the emotional element out of the equation, here's the Ward checklist.

Tough-minded and willing to sacrifice his body. Check.

Aggressive and hard-hitting Dman. Check.

Good character guy on and off the ice. Check.

Prone to lapses and taking ill-timed penalties. Check.

Puck-moving Dman. No.

Offensive Dman. No.

PP Qback Dman. No.

What the Canes need most at this time? No.

Carry on....

I don't overrated our defense, but I think you seriously overrate Ward. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yea he was not traded but the Canes were not willing to give him what he wanted and I understand why. Sorry I used the incorrect word here. The Canes LET HIM WALK! That not even the point.

Agree!

Ward would be great to have back, don't get me wrong, but right now, he is not the answer to our Defense. We have 1 offensive-defenseman and that is Kaberle. Gleason is on his way to being one, but he needs this year to remain healthy. Hedican, Wallin, Wesley, and Commodore are what Ward is, defensive-defenseman. Our defense needs another offensive-defenseman and that is in no way shape or form Ward.

Some will say we need Ward back for team toughness, No we don't: Gleason, Walker, Commodore, there's your team toughness.

We have one hell of an offense this season and I personally would not want to break up our offense to make room for Ward's salary. Not only did you not improve your defense, but you just broke up one hell of an offense.

Keep in mind Ward is a FA next season. Hedican will retire and Wesley just might as well. This will be the perfect time to bring Ward back. He will be cheaper and he will fill a need in defense as he can be the veteran to guide the young ones. We just don't have a need for Ward at this point in time.

The Canes LET HIM WALK!

His salary is a little high for a player of his type so it's understandable. Can't always have everything you want. From what I hear though, his current salary and the canes offer were not so far off. Only a different of 500k. Of course, I can't substantiate that but I've heard it numerous places.

Ward would be great to have back, don't get me wrong, but right now, he is not the answer to our Defense. We have 1 offensive-defenseman and that is Kaberle. Gleason is on his way to being one, but he needs this year to remain healthy. Hedican, Wallin, Wesley, and Commodore are what Ward is, defensive-defenseman. Our defense needs another offensive-defenseman and that is in no way shape or form Ward.

Some will say we need Ward back for team toughness, No we don't: Gleason, Walker, Commodore, there's your team toughness.

We have one hell of an offense this season and I personally would not want to break up our offense to make room for Ward's salary. Not only did you not improve your defense, but you just broke up one hell of an offense.

Keep in mind Ward is a FA next season. Hedican will retire and Wesley just might as well. This will be the perfect time to bring Ward back. He will be cheaper and he will fill a need in defense as he can be the veteran to guide the young ones. We just don't have a need for Ward at this point in time.

I have to agree, if all we lose is say letowski and some pics then i am ok. Ward is a class act and a good locker room guy, we learned from belanger how important lockerroom chemistry is.

It's not that Belanger had poor locker room chemistry, I'm sure he got along fine with the guys. He just didn't want to be here right from the start. No one is going to perform their best when they're somewhere they don't want to be.

Taking the emotional element out of the equation, here's the Ward checklist.

Tough-minded and willing to sacrifice his body. Check.

Aggressive and hard-hitting Dman. Check.

Good character guy on and off the ice. Check.

Prone to lapses and taking ill-timed penalties. Check.

Puck-moving Dman. No.

Offensive Dman. No.

PP Qback Dman. No.

What the Canes need most at this time? No.

Nice, and matter of fact. Agreed. Good job stormrider. Couldn't have said it better.