The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

SI grades us as "C"

I'm fine with flying under the radar. Let everyone think that we're one hit wonders, then we can laugh when everyone's running for shelter b/c there's a category 5 storm coming through.

Accurate I would say. The grading seems to be based on how much you improved your team. Really, on paper we added Cullen and Hamilton. I would give it a C.

I want expectations to be low. We are a good hockey club that has the talent to win the division and go far in the playoffs.

Let's drop the puck and see what happens.

cheap

It beats he!! out of where SI is gonna grade the Kings: a certain "F." :P And, just as my fellow Caniacs have said here earlier, there's nothing wrong with flying under the radar and later, consequently, startling the poop out of the pundits.

Jan/GSBG

Guys, this is what we want. We want other teams worrying about the Rangers, the Penguins, the Ducks as we do what we did in '06. Quietly walk away with it all.

I want every "expert" to consider us one hit wonders. We know the team we have and the most important components are intact. Our only question mark is Hedican and what JR's solution might be. Plus where we will be at the trade deadline and what will be available - what will we need.

Generally fine for a snip review: This team is essentially the same team as it was last year and the year before, so a "C" is the safe middle-ground. However, I would've thought if he's predicting the team to "be in the playoff mix" that it would warrent a B- at least. Also, I would say the Edmonton collapse was "last season's biggest disappointment" -- the Cane's, at least, were in the mix for a spot until the last week of the season. The Oil was out of it by Christmas.

We did not make the playoffs last year and made no significant changes to the line-up. How can we expect anything better than a 'C'? In order to attain the higher rankings the 'Canes need to put together at least 2 consecutive stellar seasons. If nothing else I would hope a mediocre grade would inspire the troops to achieve the levels that we all know they are capable of.

JR's biggest move was re-acquiring Cullen? I don't think so...... JR so had his act together by doing what it took to keep Whitney and Walker. But as others have said, I'm totally down with everyone overlooking the miserable Canes... Should make it that much easier to get our home ice for the playoffs! :P

Blah blah blah we were picked to finish 13th in the east in '06 and we all know how that turned out. :rolleyes: Jeez, I'll be glad when the season starts so all this worthless speculation will stop.

JR's biggest move was re-acquiring Cullen? I don't think so...... JR so had his act together by doing what it took to keep Whitney and Walker. But as others have said, I'm totally down with everyone overlooking the miserable Canes... Should make it that much easier to get our home ice for the playoffs! :P

Sports Illustrated probably looked at it from the perspective of our defense was the weakness for this team last year. What did we do to improve that defense in the offseason? Ray Whitney and Scott Walker are nice to have but, unless they produce more points next season, their re-signing isn't exactly an upgrade.

Because the Panthers actually improved their team. We just corrected mistakes.

Agreed. I know we like to consider ourselves contenders for the Stanley Cup, but it will be a test to even win our division. The Atlanta Thrashers and Tampa Bay Lightning were better than we were last season, the Florida Panthers were on the same level as we were last season, and the Washington Capitals have loaded up for a run at the division title and the playoffs.

I think the move to acquire Tomas Vokoun by the Florida Panthers has been overlooked and that may be the move that makes Florida a contender.

... we were picked to finish 13th in the east in '06 and we all know how that turned out. :rolleyes:

That same year, Los Angeles Times hockey writer Helene Elliott -- herself elected into the writers' wing of the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2005 -- picked the Canes to occupy the cellar spot in the Eastern Conference. Indeed: How much worth do pre-season prognostications have? :P

Let's let the Canes have the final say in how they'll do this year. How does that sound to you, my fellow Caniacs? ;)

Jan/GSBG

Because the Panthers actually improved their team. We just corrected mistakes.

Agreed. I know we like to consider ourselves contenders for the Stanley Cup, but it will be a test to even win our division. The Atlanta Thrashers and Tampa Bay Lightning were better than we were last season, the Florida Panthers were on the same level as we were last season, and the Washington Capitals have loaded up for a run at the division title and the playoffs.

I think the move to acquire Tomas Vokoun by the Florida Panthers has been overlooked and that may be the move that makes Florida a contender.

I'm not worried about Atlanta this year. They still have yet to find a #2 center. Currently they still have Todd White slotted as the #2 center and the Thrasher fans are a bit worried about that. Their fans also say their defense is marginal. Washington made some improvements, getting Nylander for Ovie, but I don't think their there yet. Maybe next season or the season after. Tampa hasn't done anything to improve their goaltending. But they do have the Big 3 and they can do it themselves. Florida I agree will be better, but its not like Vokoun is going to be their saving grace. I'd still take our offense over theirs any day. I do like parts of their D though.

It beats he!! out of where SI is gonna grade the Kings: a certain "F." :P And, just as my fellow Caniacs have said here earlier, there's nothing wrong with flying under the radar and later, consequently, startling the poop out of the pundits.

Jan/GSBG

werent the Canes supposed to be one of the worst teams in the league in 05 and how did that work out for SI :lol:

The Bruins were picked by everyone to be excellent least year and sucked really bad so SI can go with ESPN to fly a kite :lol:

Jan/GSBG

werent the Canes supposed to be one of the worst teams in the league in 05 and how did that work out for SI :lol:

The Bruins were picked by everyone to be excellent least year and sucked really bad so SI can go with ESPN to fly a kite :lol:

Last year the NHL preview in SI said we were set up to be a "Southern Dynasty".......not quite, in the salary cap era. I would guess the SI preview should be coming out in one of the upcoming issues soon.

Jan/GSBG

Last year the NHL preview in SI said we were set up to be a "Southern Dynasty".......not quite, in the salary cap era. I would guess the SI preview should be coming out in one of the upcoming issues soon.

If you're kind enough to allow me to quote myself from a post I completed earlier today, medford:

That same year, Los Angeles Times hockey writer Helene Elliott -- herself elected into the writers' wing of the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2005 -- picked the Canes to occupy the cellar spot in the Eastern Conference. Indeed: How much worth do pre-season prognostications have?

Let's let the Canes have the final say in how they'll do this year. How does that sound to you, my fellow Caniacs? ;)

I said my piece before, but I don't mind repeating myself.

Jan/GSBG

they gave us a C based on our offseason moves. not too many, no major moves. he does say we'll be back in the playoffs. good point about needing a bounceback season from staal. he wa a major disapointment to me. but i think he will have a better year next year. towards the end of the year staal started to pick up his play. so that was a good sign. cam i disagree with him about. i thought cam had a very good season, considering the terrible defense, and the high quality shots the oppents always got.

We had a chance to get these preseason ratings consistently high.. by following up the Cup with a solid playoff performance. We didn't do it. It's a fact of life that preseason polls (in any sport) much more closely represent last years final standings than this years.