The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
StevenXn

The Battle for Jersey Number 8!

I think that if Matt wants a low number, he should pull a page out of Niel Sheehy's book, and wear number 0

It's been a long time since that number was used... would be kinda fun...

Well Cullen has put a call into Gleason to see if he can get his number back. Gold made a comment about how Cullen should get the #8 back b/c he won the cup with that number and Gleason didn't have any luck with the number as he was always injured. Gold's comment kind of made me made. Gleason gets hurt cause he throws his body in front of those pucks and ain't afraid to hit.

And as far as Cullen leaving for the money. I don't buy it. I guess some have forgotten the comments made by him and Ward right after they signed with NY. Something along the lines of We know that we are not a priority and we decided that we would sign with the same team if the opportunity arose. That team just happened to be the Rangers who always pay more than they should. I have no problems with Cullen signing with the Rangers. He did have a baby on the way and that money with those years is nice security. We have no clue what JR's offer was or for the length. And with JR admitted that he made a mistake by not pursuing or fighting harder for him.

But back on topic. Gleason takes 42 and Cullen gets his number back.

Well Cullen has put a call into Gleason to see if he can get his number back. Gold made a comment about how Cullen should get the #8 back b/c he won the cup with that number and Gleason didn't have any luck with the number as he was always injured. Gold's comment kind of made me made. Gleason gets hurt cause he throws his body in front of those pucks and ain't afraid to hit.

And as far as Cullen leaving for the money. I don't buy it. I guess some have forgotten the comments made by him and Ward right after they signed with NY. Something along the lines of We know that we are not a priority and we decided that we would sign with the same team if the opportunity arose. That team just happened to be the Rangers who always pay more than they should. I have no problems with Cullen signing with the Rangers. He did have a baby on the way and that money with those years is nice security. We have no clue what JR's offer was or for the length. And with JR admitted that he made a mistake by not pursuing or fighting harder for him.

But back on topic. Gleason takes 42 and Cullen gets his number back.

Well said, I agree with all of this.

I think Cullen'll get #8 back, Gleason'll go to #42. Simple as that, guess Matt'll just have to throw in a case of beer to seal the deal. :P I mean, from what I've heard/seen of Gleason, he probably won't care. But, we shall soon find out..

yea I dont see Tim as a guy who is gona make a big deal about this, If he does give it up he should get to pick any number he wants

I think you are right. I don't even know if Gleason wants to go back to #42, I was just speculating since that was what I remembered him wearing in LA.

I also seem to recall when he came there that he said he didn't have an attachment to any number but that he would try a lower one. Of course at that time #8 and #4 were the only single digits number available to him.

I just saw something curious on hockeydb.com regarding the number 9...

According to them, Babchuk wore both 9 and 48 the year he came over from Chicago. Does anyone remember him wearing 9 in any games, or was that just a goof on their part?

I know this is a little off-topic, but since we had been discussing Gordie in this thread already I thought it'd be OK to ask here instead of starting a new thread.

I just saw something curious on hockeydb.com regarding the number 9...

According to them, Babchuk wore both 9 and 48 the year he came over from Chicago. Does anyone remember him wearing 9 in any games, or was that just a goof on their part?

I know this is a little off-topic, but since we had been discussing Gordie in this thread already I thought it'd be OK to ask here instead of starting a new thread.

It's intended to show the number with his current and former team. It is in error though because he wore #8 (theme of the day) in Chicago.

Did anybody notice that on the roster Matt's number is 5, wonder if that will change

So is Frank's, it will have to change.

I just thought of this after getting all excited about matt returning, gleason wears number 8 now... should matt get it back?

Sorry to end the suspense, but Cullen will be wearing #8 next year.

I just thought of this after getting all excited about matt returning, gleason wears number 8 now... should matt get it back?

I pray your right

That would be nice.

So psychic, what number is Gleason taking? :P

That would be nice.

So psychic, what number is Gleason taking? :P

42 like he wore on the kings

As long as no gets stuck with the number 1 (as its jinxed) ill be happy.

It's a goalie-only number.

Though, like 30, 1 is commonly a goalie number, it is not limited to goalkeepers. Any player of any position can wear the numbers 1-98.

As long as no gets stuck with the number 1 (as its jinxed) ill be happy.

It's a goalie-only number.

Though, like 30, 1 is commonly a goalie number, it is not limited to goalkeepers. Any player of any position can wear the numbers 1-98.

It is a goalie-only number because it is not issued to forwards or defensemen. So you won't see anyone other than goalies with 1 or 30. Just as Chiasson's number isn't officially retired but rather is out of circulation and never issued to Canes' players.

I would say gleason gives matt number 8 and will take a different number. Probably something on the lower side like 18. ( then people with gleason jerseys could shove a 1 beside the 8! ;)

Is that you Matt? :P

I know it's taboo to say this, but what about 9?

Yes I know Gordie played for the Whale (and I love the Howe) but Howe was never a Hurricane. (and yes I know it's technically retired because of him and our still suppossed Whalerness, my point still stands)

I want to see a 'Cane wear 9, because it is probably the coolest hockey number out there, what 3 is to Baseball what 23 is to basketball and yeah you get the idea

Blasphemy !!!

I know I may be older then many on here, but if Mr. Hockey played for your team for 1 game you outta retire the number.

I will pray to the hockey gods your post does not anger them.

:P

You're preaching to the choir, I love Gordie Howe he's one of my favorite all time players, but Gordie Howe did not play for the Carolina Hurricanes.

And we are not the Hartford Whalers

(braces for retaliation)