The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
StevenXn

The Battle for Jersey Number 8!

the number 5 was next to Cullen's name but as of today there is no number so I can only speculate that the number issues has been resolved. I give this rumor a (e4).

I'm pretty confident Gleason takes #42, and Cullen gets 8 back. Yes, he only played in Carolina for one season, but it was the best season in franchise history, and was the best season in his career. For superstitious reasons, I'd give him the number back.

I had a dream that it was Opening Night and Timmy was wearing #44.

I guess he went with the 4+4 = 8

And yes Topshelf, I need the season to start. :P

I'm not saying a word.... *sends text message to Gleason to alert him of potential stalker*

I had a dream that it was Opening Night and Timmy was wearing #44.

I guess he went with the 4+4 = 8

And yes Topshelf, I need the season to start. :P

I'm not saying a word.... *sends text message to Gleason to alert him of potential stalker*

It's all about senority and Cullen has it over Gleason. #8 will go back to Geoff Sanderson....LOL! I mean Cullen...LOL!

LONG LIVE THE WHALE!!

Cullen left and came back. I would think that gives Gleason the nod.

Just my 2 cents.

It's all about senority and Cullen has it over Gleason. #8 will go back to Geoff Sanderson....LOL! I mean Cullen...LOL!

LONG LIVE THE WHALE!!

Just my 2 cents.

I agree!

LONG LIVE THE WHALE!!

Just my 2 cents.

I agree!

but Stanley cup mojo dictates that Cullen should have the same number as when we won the cup... it would not do to anger the hockey gods

LONG LIVE THE WHALE!!

Just my 2 cents.

I agree!

but Stanley cup mojo dictates that Cullen should have the same number as when we won the cup... it would not do to anger the hockey gods

Finally, somebody said it

i've heard that JR gave Cullen the #8 and Gleason wasnt too happy. but i doubt that's true.. it's just a number

JR has more on his mind then worrying about who gets what number. Cullen and Gleason will work it out between themselves. I'm sure their still negotiating on the price. :P

thsi vote hasn't gotten really close. I thought eveyrone would think Gleason should keep it. I think gleason takes #42

Sometimes players have certain numbers because they are Personal. Just look at Jagrs number there is a reason why he wears 68. That was when Check Republic had it's revolution against Russia. Matt Cullen can claim senriority on his number.

thsi vote hasn't gotten really close. I thought eveyrone would think Gleason should keep it. I think gleason takes #42

Sometimes players have certain numbers because they are Personal. Just look at Jagrs number there is a reason why he wears 68. That was when Check Republic had it's revolution against Russia. Matt Cullen can claim senriority on his number.

Thats also the year his daddy was free'd by the soviets in the Czech republic. Or so some goofy Pens fan I know told me

I really think Gleason should keep #8. He is the one that has it now. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having Cullen back, but he left us and someone else came and claimed it..he's still with us, so Cullen gets another #.

I think it goes back to what was said about Ron Francis taking #21 when he came back to the team because Gary Roberts had #10, just like he did taking #9 in his first year with Pittsburgh. So if a first ballot hall-of-famer(and he was one before he came to Carolina) can't get the number he has worn 95% of his career, I don't think a third line center gets different treatment without some sort of payment to Gleason.

An example of payments in sports : Eli Manning coughed up $10,000(reportedly) to get #10 from the punter Jeff Feagles.

An example of payments in sports : Eli Manning coughed up $10,000(reportedly) to get #10 from the punter Jeff Feagles.

That's why the number mystery hasn't been solved yet. Their still negotiating on the price :P

oh yeah i heard about something like that.

but i think if anything, Gleason should give a fight for the number.

oh yeah i heard about something like that.

but i think if anything, Gleason should give a fight for the number.

Here's an idea, Gleason should literally give a fight for the number. Both guys drop the gloves and the last man standing gets #8 haha. Cullen might as well find another one and save himself the pain.

A similar situation played itself out on the Ducks recently. At the start of training camp two seasons ago, Teemu Selanne -- then newly re-signed by the club -- had no problem whatsoever taking #13, a number available at the time. (Keep in mind that former d-man Sandis Ozolinsh was the current owner of Anaheim's #8.) Anyway, Teemu brought his typical A-plus game back to the Ducks, while Ozo pretty much played himself off the roster. Guess who ended up with #8 a season later?

Matt seems to be much like Teemu: a good guy and a generous team player. He'll do whatever's best for the morale of the team, a uniform number notwithstanding.

That's my two cents from Placentia, Calif: my new home since July 30 ... B)

Jan/GSBG