The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

NBC Snuffs Canes

:rolleyes: ......I know, but its not about NBC duffin' the canes, its about them wanting ratings. Thats why I said what I did. I'm sure it was expected...jssshhh

Warning, sarcasm alert!

No kidding, I believe there was some sarcasm written into the title of thread. Im pretty sure that most people here dont think that NBC, Bettman or the NHL have a personal vendetta against the Canes organization. We get we're a small market team that doesn't draw the ratings like the Rangers and Pittsburgh.

:rolleyes: ......I know, but its not about NBC duffin' the canes, its about them wanting ratings. Thats why I said what I did. I'm sure it was expected...jssshhh

Warning, sarcasm alert!

No kidding, I believe there was some sarcasm written into the title of thread. Im pretty sure that most people here dont think that NBC, Bettman or the NHL have a personal vendetta against the Canes organization. We get we're a small market team that doesn't draw the ratings like the Rangers and Pittsburgh.

I'm not convinced about the ratings explanation. The problem with ratings doesn't have to do with small market teams. It has to do with the time slot. Why would casual hockey fans tune in to games on a Sunday afternoon, when 99% of NHL games take place at night? Unless you're a fanatic, you're not going to bother with trying to catch a game at such an unusal time. The games need to be shown at night. It's not as if NBC has anything better to show during primetime. Surely, people can do without Law & Order spinoff reruns one night out of the week.

Good: Two Stars games.

Bad: No Canes games, and those two Stars games likely won't be shown in this area. Lame.

Not to start trouble, but what you were expecting. Are there not other teams being snubbed also. NBC had the lowest ratings ever with hockey and you expect them to show the canes, hey even if they were still the whalers I wouldn't expect it. they need to show the big city teams in hopes and only in hopes of getting bigger ratings even though it won't happen still...why... because I'm a realist unlike our great commish. C'mon people its not about the canes....enough with the drama :rolleyes:

I agree. The league needs all the revenue it can get right now. I'm just as annoyed at everyone else they've become the Pittsburgh/Detroit/Rangers network, but those teams have large national following and thus will probably get better ratings, even though it annoys the crap out of us.

I'd rather have John and Tripp call our games, anyway.

Who needs NBC hockey and Canes will prevail. No offense Sid the Kid but I am tired of hearing about how great he is comparing him other great players. His head may swell.

NBC let Bill Clement go so as far as Im concerned, Versus will be a much better broadcast... period.

Thank you for saying what I was thinking when I got back from Vacation and saw this thread.

NBC or the Nothing But Crosby network gets under my skin.

I'd much rather watch the game on Versus any day then NBC.

I'd like to see us back on ESPN someday. But NBC can shove it as far as I am concerned.

A friend of mine works in TV and I can tell you its all about selling Advertising.

When Ad Execs start trying to pony up the money to advertise during NHL games THEN you'll see more of the game we all love on the major networks.

How good of a job does Center Ice do in covering the canes?

They air every game Except-

When it is on Versus

When it is on FSN

Makes programming the DVR a real PAIN!

Since I live in the Northeast.. I get FSN Cincinnati.. not FSN south.. so if i were to buy center ice.. and they black out games that are aired on FSN south.. which seems to be quite a few.. im just screwed? or what.

... Im pretty sure that most people here dont think that NBC, Bettman or the NHL have a personal vendetta against the Canes organization. We get we're a small market team that doesn't draw the ratings like the Rangers and Pittsburgh.

I hear you loud and clear, folks. How many times have the Kings ended up on national TV in the last few seasons? Or the Ducks, for that matter, aside from postseason play? Even though Southern California (Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, and Ventura counties) has more than 14 million people living here, this region is still regarded as a small-market area as far as the league is concerned. <_<

Jan/GSBG

How good of a job does Center Ice do in covering the canes?

They air every game Except-

When it is on Versus

When it is on FSN

Makes programming the DVR a real PAIN!

Since I live in the Northeast.. I get FSN Cincinnati.. not FSN south.. so if i were to buy center ice.. and they black out games that are aired on FSN south.. which seems to be quite a few.. im just screwed? or what.

you will get most of the Canes games on either FSN South or the other teams broadcast. Eg.. MSG when playing the Rangers

I live in Boston when I did have CI (I am too poor now to have it lol) the only time a game would get blacked out on Center Ice would be your home teams game, but it usually would be on your home affiliates channel.

eg. The Bruins are on NESN but CI is showing the other teams feed. like the Canes on FSN South. I would NOT get that feed and had

to be subjected to the worst hockey announcer in the world. Dale Arnonld. but at least he is not doing the Bruins game this year. Thank God :lol: (sorry for the tangent but I miss hockey in August greatly)

Usually I only get about 10 Canes games per year. The 4 vs Boston, the 3 or 4 on Versus and then the free preview of CI in October and January. As an alternative, Yahoo does broadcast some games live and I think the Canes were on a few times last year. :D

Usually I only get about 10 Canes games per year. The 4 vs Boston, the 3 or 4 on Versus and then the free preview of CI in October and January.

Consider yourself outrageously lucky, medford: We got the four on Versus and one -- count 'em, one -- on Prime Ticket, the Ducks' station. It wasn't fun being a Canes fan here in SoCal last season, that's for sure. :(

Jan/GSBG

So our local sports channel here is FSN Cincinnati.. who airs Blue Jackets games.. and the Hurricanes only play them once this year.. and im going to that game.. so chances are ill get to view most of the canes games? meaning.. half or more??

So our local sports channel here is FSN Cincinnati.. who airs Blue Jackets games.. and the Hurricanes only play them once this year.. and im going to that game.. so chances are ill get to view most of the canes games? meaning.. half or more??

I believe they are only blacked out in the local markets. With Center Ice, you should be able to watch all of the Hurricanes' FSN South games. If you lived in a place that had FSN South, you wouldn't be able to watch them on Center Ice. Hope I helped.

awesome, i cant wait!

If it works out right, you may even see more games than people in North Carolina, without Center Ice, will. You should have all of the FSN South broadcasts, as well as the home broadcasts for the non-televised away games that the Hurricanes play.