The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Not sure if in right place, if not Mods feel free to move.

He is a cane, well until July 1, and rumors and speculations are starting. Anyway, Spector's has Florida interested in Walker. Hopefully he saw what a baby Olli is and what a diver Belfour is that he will have no interest going there.

Its the interesting time of the off season, can't wait for July 1 to see what happens.

He is a cane, well until July 1, and rumors and speculations are starting. Anyway, Spector's has Florida interested in Walker. Hopefully he saw what a baby Olli is and what a diver Belfour is that he will have no interest going there.

Its the interesting time of the off season, can't wait for July 1 to see what happens.

Should go under rumors but I cant seem to move it right now, LOL

And yes, it would be very tough to see Walker join the dance team in FL.

Should go under rumors but I cant seem to move it right now, LOL

And yes, it would be very tough to see Walker join the dance team in FL.

I hear we have a 3rd line center prospect who may be ready for some NHL action this season.

And that is.......

I hear we have a 3rd line center prospect who may be ready for some NHL action this season.

And that is.......

Sorry, I can't get a name from him but it came up in a discussion because I was talking about how Mike Fisher would be a great addition to our team.

Sorry, I can't get a name from him but it came up in a discussion because I was talking about how Mike Fisher would be a great addition to our team.

remember hearing this as well... also remember that one of our young guys made a huge impression, both on the ice and in the locker room, in training camp last year but needed to add some weight and age. Think it was Blanchard, but not sure.

It's probably Bobby Hughes you are referring to but he isn't ready to center the 3rd line. He would do well to make the roster out of camp but he doesn't have the skills to step into the top 9.

These are the active centers in Albany:

Bobby Hughes

Jakub Petruzalek

Joe Barnes

Keith Aucoin

Nicolas Blanchard

These are the active centers in Albany:

Bobby Hughes

Jakub Petruzalek

Joe Barnes

Keith Aucoin

Nicolas Blanchard

ive heard from a few places we're interested in scott hartnell from nashville.

i wouldnt doubt it if JR makes a run for preissing.

Hartnell would be a good addition if he can stay healthy. The problem with all the physical UFA's on the wing, is that the Ducks win just elevated their worth. It's a copy cat league, and guys you play with grit and can be physical while putting up decent points will cost more this year. That's also going to make it more likely someone gives Walker what he's looking for.

Preissing may get some interest but to be honest, he's only somewhat better than Hutch. I know his stats look good with Ottawa, but he is a last pair guy who has to be hidden from too much even strength TOI because his positioning and judgment aren't the best. He'd be an upgrade over Hutch but the Canes need more.

We don't have any forward prospect ready to step in and play on our third line this coming season. We just don't. Reed, Hughes and Blanchard are all at least another year away from making the team. I could see Hughes getting a call up maybe during the season if injuries compound but he doesn't have enough experience at the professional level just yet. Let him play the year in Albany, same with Blanchard. I think Reed is still to young to play in the AHL.

As for Hartnell, we won't get him. I can almost guarantee it. Since the lockout Hartnell is one of the first of the new, young crop of free agents. Someone is going to throw a lot of money at him because of what they think he can do in the future, not because of what he's done up to this point. I can't see JR entering a bidding war for him. Honestly, I could see an older team offering him $4 mil a season.

im forgetting about Aucoin, he's a center and he's been the one we call up when we need it. does anyone think he'll make the team? he reminds me of ray whitney without the stats...

Ray Whitney without the stats is just another small guy haha If that's what the canes are looking for I should go to try-outs :lol:

Anyways, to answer your question, no. Keith Aucoin will not make the team. He's one of those guys who is a bit of a mystery (along with others like Jason Krog, Darren Haydar etc.). He can put up great numbers at the AHL level but that doesn't translate to the NHL. Partly due to his lack of size, maybe due to some other factors, too. It's certainly not a lack of effort. Right now he's 28, what you see is what you get. He's not going to be any better. A forward from Albany who we might see up next year is Shane Willis. Depending on how he does in training camp he could possibly earn a fourth line spot.

Anyway, Spector's has Florida interested in Walker. Hopefully he saw what a baby Olli is and what a diver Belfour is that he will have no interest going there.

I really don't know what I would do If we lost Walker especially to Florida.....aaagghhhh don't really want to think of it!

I would hope he wouldn't want to be a part of such a sore losing team!

Eklund is saying the Canes are poping up as interested in Paul Kariya.

He was pursued briefly when he was a UFA before signing with the Preds, but the Canes dropped out when they heard it would take $4-5 million/year to sign him. I doubt he will go for much less than what he made in Nashville and in that case I'd pass. He is too one-dimensional and his size a liability in a puck possession system.

No rumor but I would like to make my request please JR... I will take an order of Souray and Calder please

We can't afford Souray considering we still have other roster spots to fill. He's going to cost a ton and all he's good for is working the powerplay. He's terrible defensively, too. You see highlights of him for getting undressed just as often as you see them for him scoring a sweet goal.

No rumor but I would like to make my request please JR... I will take an order of Souray and Calder please

Sorry, both give me indigestion. Souray is a bigger more menacing looking version of Ozo but without the skating ability, plus he needs a GPS to locate proper defensive positioning. Calder cost-for-performance ratio is just way out of whack. He's decent on his good days but not worth the asking price.

stormrider wrote

Sorry, both give me indigestion. Souray is a bigger more menacing looking version of Ozo but without the skating ability, plus he needs a GPS to locate proper defensive positioning. Calder cost-for-performance ratio is just way out of whack. He's decent on his good days but not worth the asking price.

Plus Calder only seems to play well when it doesn't matter.