The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Players come to this team and they get their act in gear from day one because our veterans won't put up with any of their crap.

I guess Babchuk was the exception to the rule?

Not really. If they don't get their act in gear they're not put up with and he isn't. He can do whatever the heck he wants...over in Russia.

Exactly... he stepped out of line and he was quickly shipped off. Same with Jeff O'Neill...

Players come to this team and they get their act in gear from day one because our veterans won't put up with any of their crap.

I guess Babchuk was the exception to the rule?

Not really. If they don't get their act in gear they're not put up with and he isn't. He can do whatever the heck he wants...over in Russia.

Exactly... he stepped out of line and he was quickly shipped off. Same with Jeff O'Neill...

Ughhh, that's a name I could go with never hearing again...

I third that Paul Kariya deal. He would produce alot. Well, if we don't get him in the off-season for many reasons, if there was an injured key player such as, let's say Stillman or Staal, Kariya would be top of my list in helping take their place.

I third that Paul Kariya deal. He would produce alot. Well, if we don't get him in the off-season for many reasons, if there was an injured key player such as, let's say Stillman or Staal, Kariya would be top of my list in helping take their place.

Ya, it would be nice to have Kariya but this is real life! There's such thing as a salary cap and toi. You can't just put together a dream team. Right now are lines are:

Stillman - Staal - Cole

Whitney - Brind'amour - Williams

Ladd- free agent - Walker

Adams - LaRose - Letowski

Where the heck do you expect Kariya to play? With the signing of Walker our top 9 wingers are set. Kariya is not coming here! There's no ice time and no money for him. We're nearing our budget and we still need a third line centre and an upgrade at defense will bring with it a raise in salary as well.

Ya, it would be nice to have Kariya but this is real life! There's such thing as a salary cap and toi. You can't just put together a dream team. Right now are lines are:

Stillman - Staal - Cole

Whitney - Brind'amour - Williams

Ladd- free agent - Walker

Adams - LaRose - Letowski

Where the heck do you expect Kariya to play? With the signing of Walker our top 9 wingers are set. Kariya is not coming here! There's no ice time and no money for him. We're nearing our budget and we still need a third line centre and an upgrade at defense will bring with it a raise in salary as well.

I was SAYING that in day dream. Of course it is seemingly impossible, but nothing's impossible. There is a slim chance we will be getting any other vets, which is sad, this team staying VERY close to the same for the second year and it's starting to annoy me. I like to see change.

I hate to double post but this just occurred to me. PRUCHA! I think he would fit in nicely as a 3rd line center. He is great in faceoffs, a new, young player, and not considered a BIG TIME player. Whaddya think?

I hate to double post but this just occurred to me. PRUCHA! I think he would fit in nicely as a 3rd line center. He is great in faceoffs, a new, young player, and not considered a BIG TIME player. Whaddya think?

You're right, he may not be a big time player but he is a prospect with a fairly high upside and that will raise his value. We don't have anything to offer the rangers for him, assuming he was even being shopped. We're better off signing a free agent centre and not losing anything.

The latest update from Spectors still has us in the running for Pitkanin.

Spector's Note: Hat tip to Brad Panichelli for the Delco Times link. Depending on what you read, Pitkanen's either could be dealt to the Carolina Hurricanes or Edmonton Oilers, or a deal to move him fell through, or there's not much interest in him. I think he'll be traded since Holmgren needs to free up the cap space to pursue a big name UFA centre and Pitkanen is probably the most attractive trade chip he has.

Spector's Note: Hat tip to Brad Panichelli for the Delco Times link. Depending on what you read, Pitkanen's either could be dealt to the Carolina Hurricanes or Edmonton Oilers, or a deal to move him fell through, or there's not much interest in him. I think he'll be traded since Holmgren needs to free up the cap space to pursue a big name UFA centre and Pitkanen is probably the most attractive trade chip he has.

Prucha has some nice skill and is a relatively cheap RFA but at the NHL level with NYR he has almost strictly played on the wing. Trying to convert him to C full-time is a risky move given the failed Letowski experiment last year.

Here's one off of Ecklund's site: Apparently we are in the running for Chicago's Michael Handzus. A two-way center who ended up missing most of last seaon due to a knee injury on a late hit. Sounds like Chicago may re-sign him though.

Here are his stats:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=66...=nhl-blackhawks

Assets: Is a load to line up against, at 6-5, 217 pounds. Plays stellar defense and is also a capable playmaker. Has improved his confidence in the offensive zone.

Flaws: Lacks speed. Needs to be more aggressive in the corners. May never reach his full potential on offense.

Career potential: Two-way center.

Here's one off of Ecklund's site: Apparently we are in the running for Chicago's Michael Handzus. A two-way center who ended up missing most of last seaon due to a knee injury on a late hit. Sounds like Chicago may re-sign him though.

Here are his stats:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=66...=nhl-blackhawks

Assets: Is a load to line up against, at 6-5, 217 pounds. Plays stellar defense and is also a capable playmaker. Has improved his confidence in the offensive zone.

Flaws: Lacks speed. Needs to be more aggressive in the corners. May never reach his full potential on offense.

Career potential: Two-way center.

I have a feeling Handzus will go for too much money for us to really be in the running. Maybe it's just me but I'd much rather have a speedy offensive guy playing third line center. Handzus is big and slow. Reminds me too much of Vasicek in some ways. Don't want to go down that road again.

I have a feeling Handzus will go for too much money for us to really be in the running. Maybe it's just me but I'd much rather have a speedy offensive guy playing third line center. Handzus is big and slow. Reminds me too much of Vasicek in some ways. Don't want to go down that road again.

LOL, it does sound a little like Big Joe but if I remember correctly, Chicago had a great pre-season and came out of the gates flying last year. Handzus was playing very well until he got injured. All the injuries piled up very quickly for Chicago and pretty much stopped whatever momentum they had.

LOL, it does sound a little like Big Joe but if I remember correctly, Chicago had a great pre-season and came out of the gates flying last year. Handzus was playing very well until he got injured. All the injuries piled up very quickly for Chicago and pretty much stopped whatever momentum they had.

If we're going to get a guy like Handzus, we should have just kept JoVa.

Who says we haven't yet?

Done a little reading and it looks as if unless Chicago comes up with true #1 or #2 center via free agency, they're gonna pay Handzus what he wants to keep him there.

If we're going to get a guy like Handzus, we should have just kept JoVa.

Who says we haven't yet?

Done a little reading and it looks as if unless Chicago comes up with true #1 or #2 center via free agency, they're gonna pay Handzus what he wants to keep him there.

Here are ALL the likely and available free agent centers:

Denis Arkhipov, Chicago

Eric Belanger, Atlanta

Radek Bonk, Montreal

Daniel Briere, Buffalo

Sergei Brylin, New Jersey

Mike Comrie, Ottawa

Jim Dowd, New Jersey

Chris Drury, Buffalo

Peter Forsberg, Nashville

Scott Gomez, New Jersey

Michal Handzus, Chicago

Mike Johnson, Montreal

Viktor Kozlov, N.Y. Islanders

Robert Lang, Detroit

Trevor Linden, Vancouver

Eric Lindros, Dallas

Petr Nedved, Edmonton

Scott Nichol, Nashville

Michael Nylander, N.Y. Rangers

Mike Peca, Toronto

Yanic Perreault, Toronto

Mike Ricci, Phoenix

Jeremy Roenick, Phoenix

Bryan Smolinski, Vancouver

Patrik Stefan, Dallas

Jozef Stumpel, Florida

Tim Taylor, Tampa Bay

Josef Vasicek, Carolina

Wes Walz, Minnesota

Todd White, Minnesota

Mike York, Philadelphia

Dainius Zubrus, Buffalo

Some are clearly out of our price range, but some may prove worthwile to pursue. See any likely candidates in the list?

Zubrus made 1.85 million last year but he's looking for a raise this year. Last I saw he was favored to return to Buffalo. When he plays hard he would be worth it but like so many other players mentioned as possibilities he has a tendency to take nights off. That being said I'd rather have him than Yashin and some of the other possibilities.

Here are updates to DeCock's blog:

One caveat on the Cole rumors: If there were a deal in place for Cole, it probably wouldn't have happened Saturday because he was out of the country. He's back now, so if he were being traded, it might have been waiting until he was in phone range. I still don't think a deal is on the table for Cole, but if anything was holding it up...

So what, is he now throwing back out that Cole can be traded?

With $2.3 million to spend, the Canes will be targeting (for the second straight summer) a Matt Cullen replacement as the third-line center when the free-agent period opens Sunday.

Here's a partial list of free-agent centers. Gomez, Drury, Briere, Nylander, Comrie and Handzus will be out of their price range. As of last week, the Canes had five guys on their list, but Tyler Arnason may have been one of them (he re-signed with Colorado). Michael Peca is not believed to be on the list, so that leaves...who?

Clearly Todd White is one, but the Canes will face competition from Florida (which wanted Scott Walker as well). Maybe Robert Lang, Jozef Stumpel, Dainius Zubrus and Mike York? Could Eric Lindros be in the mix? Other than White, there are no slam dunks in this group.

I really want White and from what i'm hearing its us and Florida that want him. With Florida getting Vokoun's salary I don't think they can keep Stumpel and sign White, so their gonna have to give up on one. Personally I'll take either White or Stumpel. No one else on that list will make me go Yeah.

Here is a quote from today's Delco Times:

Of course, there are other opinions out there about Pitkanen, including one by his agent, Larry Kelly, who told the Daily Times before the draft that the Flyers would absolutely trade Pitkanen. Kelly called him