The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Put it his way Bates has a better chance in returning than O'Neil does, and Bates won't be back.

Besides his attitude won't go over well in this locker room.

O'neill can go to hell, that's all I have to say about him.

Yup, real classy.

If you knew my sitution involving him, you'd understand my statement about him.

I with you on this Bri, Shane doesn't know some of the crap our community had to put up with from Jeff.

Shane, if you want details then PM some of us.

I'm with all the O'neill haters. The guy has all the talent in the world but has the worst work ethic I beleive I have EVER seen in a hockey player. Besides that, he has no class at all so good ridence to him.

On another note, the N&O reports the deal for Pitkanen and the canes involves Wallin. I don;t know about the rest of you but I'm thinking that trade does not really do a lot to improve us, maybe gives a better puck moving D, but what else?

I'm with all the O'neill haters. The guy has all the talent in the world but has the worst work ethic I beleive I have EVER seen in a hockey player. Besides that, he has no class at all so good ridence to him.

On another note, the N&O reports the deal for Pitkanen and the canes involves Wallin. I don;t know about the rest of you but I'm thinking that trade does not really do a lot to improve us, maybe gives a better puck moving D, but what else?

Also gets us a 23 year old D-man for a 32 year old D-man. Experience for youth.

While everything points towards Wallin being the defenseman traded to Philadelphia, I just can't believe we'd do that to him. Convince him to sign a deal here instead of returning with his family to Sweden, and then one year later trading him away? That just doesn't sound right, and seems like JR is showing a lack of class if it's true. And I'm a JR supporter, before I get jumped on for saying that.

While everything points towards Wallin being the defenseman traded to Philadelphia, I just can't believe we'd do that to him. Convince him to sign a deal here instead of returning with his family to Sweden, and then one year later trading him away? That just doesn't sound right, and seems like JR is showing a lack of class if it's true. And I'm a JR supporter, before I get jumped on for saying that.

It could be a negotiating ploy by JR, they may want Wallin but then he can say "look Wallin won't waive his no trade clause so how about a slightly used Babchuk, Hutch, and Siedenberg?? Or a little H & H action (Hedican and Hutch)!!"

It could be a negotiating ploy by JR, they may want Wallin but then he can say "look Wallin won't waive his no trade clause so how about a slightly used Babchuk, Hutch, and Siedenberg?? Or a little H & H action (Hedican and Hutch)!!"

That would be great. One thing that bothers me, though: We trade Wallin, who is going to get 1.725 million next season to get a young, offensively solid defenseman who just made 2 million, and is probably looking to get a raise. This trade could cost us half a million, and if we stay at the self-imposed spending limit, would the offers we can make to a FA center. All that to get a guy who isn't going to be much help defensively? I'm not sold on the deal just yet.

The guy isnt looking for a raise, he would be happy with his current salery. Philly is about to cut his pay due to salery cap so he doesnt have much room to ask for a raise.

Alyn McCauley is being bought out. He could be had for cheap and would be the third line center we needed. However, he is a HUGE gamble, being that he only played 10 games last season due to injury. Worth pursuing?

Are you KIDDING ME!!?!?!

Seriously, this Pitkanen kid could very seriously grow to be a staple on our defense for MANY years to come but you people are all pussyfootin around it because we have to give up Wallin!?!?! I mean no offense to Wallin, he's a great guy, but if we're seriously sitting back and saying our defense can't afford to lose a guy like Wallin, then we're beyond screwed.

Wallin is a guy that will never be a 1st line d-man. He will come in every once and a while and will play quality minutes and he'll score a goal here and there. Basically ALL he has ever done for us was to score 3 overtime goals in the playoffs. Thats ALL he is known for here. I mean, I like the guy, but lets be honest, I'd MUCH rather have a true 1st line d-man who will give us many quality minutes and score many many goals for us in the future than someone who sits on the bench for a vast majority of every game.

Look, Pitkanen is the type of player that would all but thrive in our system. He plays a lot like Ozolinsh, but he doesn't do the stupid crap that guy did. He knows when to stay in the zone, he can move the puck up the ice extremely effectively (half the reason he sucked in Philly last year was because they quite literally were too slow for his style of play) and he will score many goals for us. There is nothing to not like about this guy, and I can't believe some people are hesitant about the trade because we'd give up Wallin. Pitkanen for Wallin straight up is flat out highway robbery for the Carolina Hurricanes, and if JR pulls this off, he will have mauled the Flyers franchise once again in a deal.

Alyn McCauley is being bought out. He could be had for cheap and would be the third line center we needed. However, he is a HUGE gamble, being that he only played 10 games last season due to injury. Worth pursuing?

He's good in NHL 06, of course we should go get him! :lol:

To be clear, we don't actually know if Pitkanen is the guy we're getting, right? That's just a rumor, and in fact most sources have him going to Edmonton. The Flyers are only connected to us through that 3-way deal rumor which has been shot down pretty thoroughly. The Flyers may be the most likely trade partner, but no one's confirmed that they are who we're really talking to.

So let's consider who else we may be pursuing that would make just as much, if not more sense than Pitkanen.

XM reports that Todd White is leaning toward Carolina over Florida :) .

Eklund has Todd White heading to Toronto (e3) :( .

Michael Pecca could be had for under 2 million :) .

But he lives in Western NY and Buffalo would make more sense for him :angry: .

XM reports that Todd White is leaning toward Carolina over Florida :) .

Eklund has Todd White heading to Toronto (e3) :( .

Michael Pecca could be had for under 2 million :) .

But he lives in Western NY and Buffalo would make more sense for him :angry: .

Are you KIDDING ME!!?!?!

Seriously, this Pitkanen kid could very seriously grow to be a staple on our defense for MANY years to come but you people are all pussyfootin around it because we have to give up Wallin!?!?! I mean no offense to Wallin, he's a great guy, but if we're seriously sitting back and saying our defense can't afford to lose a guy like Wallin, then we're beyond screwed.

Wallin is a guy that will never be a 1st line d-man. He will come in every once and a while and will play quality minutes and he'll score a goal here and there. Basically ALL he has ever done for us was to score 3 overtime goals in the playoffs. Thats ALL he is known for here. I mean, I like the guy, but lets be honest, I'd MUCH rather have a true 1st line d-man who will give us many quality minutes and score many many goals for us in the future than someone who sits on the bench for a vast majority of every game.

Look, Pitkanen is the type of player that would all but thrive in our system. He plays a lot like Ozolinsh, but he doesn't do the stupid crap that guy did. He knows when to stay in the zone, he can move the puck up the ice extremely effectively (half the reason he sucked in Philly last year was because they quite literally were too slow for his style of play) and he will score many goals for us. There is nothing to not like about this guy, and I can't believe some people are hesitant about the trade because we'd give up Wallin. Pitkanen for Wallin straight up is flat out highway robbery for the Carolina Hurricanes, and if JR pulls this off, he will have mauled the Flyers franchise once again in a deal.

Pitkanen's defense is sketchy, while Wallin is one of the better actual defenders on our team. Sure, Pitkanen will score and set up a lot of goals, but is that really what we need when our defense was bad enough when it came to actually playing defense last season?

Pitkanen's defense is sketchy, while Wallin is one of the better actual defenders on our team. Sure, Pitkanen will score and set up a lot of goals, but is that really what we need when our defense was bad enough when it came to actually playing defense last season?
There is the perception that our defense was horrid last season. However, in the biggest defensive stat of all -- goals against -- our D was actually better last year than in the Stanley Cup winning season: last season we gave up 7 FEWER goals!

No, the big problem for this team was scoring. And Lavi's coaching style is not to out "defend" the opponent (a la the Devils and most of the Western Conference) but to out "score" the opponent. Pitkanen could be a step up there.

That is a very good, reasonable point and makes the trade sound that much better for us. I believe that with Kaberle back and healthy for the majority of the season, our defensive scoring will be much better than last season. The main thing I don't like about getting Pitkanen for Wallin (if that is the trade) is that it basically leaves us with less money to spend on our 3rd line center in free agency.

StateCaniac, I agree that the third line center is the most critical piece for the team to fill. And JR has a tough job there -- at least from my view, there's no one I'm really fired up about in the price range we can afford. As for a Pitkanen deal hurting that, it is certainly possible. Though it's hard to tell what the cost for Pitkanen would be as he has no contract.

StateCaniac, I agree that the third line center is the most critical piece for the team to fill. And JR has a tough job there -- at least from my view, there's no one I'm really fired up about in the price range we can afford. As for a Pitkanen deal hurting that, it is certainly possible. Though it's hard to tell what the cost for Pitkanen would be as he has no contract.

The best thing that could happen is that he goes to arbitration with the Flyers, they walk away and we get him at a steal. Kinda like the Stillman deal. But I'm pretty sure every other GM is watching for that also.

The best thing that could happen is that he goes to arbitration with the Flyers, they walk away and we get him at a steal. Kinda like the Stillman deal. But I'm pretty sure every other GM is watching for that also.