The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

XM reports that Todd White is leaning toward Carolina over Florida :) .

Eklund has Todd White heading to Toronto (e3) :( .

Michael Pecca could be had for under 2 million :) .

But he lives in Western NY and Buffalo would make more sense for him :angry: .

Yeah for Todd White, he knows where he can win.

Eklund is an idiot. Monday he had White going to Florida and Philly as like e3s. Then Tuesday he's got an e3 to Toronot. Minnesota's beat writer, says Todd White is headed to either Carolina or Florida. I think I'll believe Russo over Eklund.

Peca I wouldn't mind although JR has said Peca is not on his list, but that could be his normal poker play. Isle fans think Peca is headed back there.

Eklund is an idiot. Monday he had White going to Florida and Philly as like e3s. Then Tuesday he's got an e3 to Toronot. Minnesota's beat writer, says Todd White is headed to either Carolina or Florida. I think I'll believe Russo over Eklund.

Peca I wouldn't mind although JR has said Peca is not on his list, but that could be his normal poker play. Isle fans think Peca is headed back there.

It was Florida's beat writer from the Miami Herald that reported it on XM so yeah, I'm with you on that one.

Isn't every free agent rumored to be going to Toronto at one point or another?

You may be right about JR and his poker face, did anyone see Letowski getting signed last year?

It was Florida's beat writer from the Miami Herald that reported it on XM so yeah, I'm with you on that one.

Isn't every free agent rumored to be going to Toronto at one point or another?

You may be right about JR and his poker face, did anyone see Letowski getting signed last year?

Pitkanen's defense is sketchy, while Wallin is one of the better actual defenders on our team. Sure, Pitkanen will score and set up a lot of goals, but is that really what we need when our defense was bad enough when it came to actually playing defense last season?

Our defense gave up less goals last year than in the 2005-06 season. The problem was that our defense barely ever joined the rush this last year. As in our cup winning year, the defense was always jumping in and joining the rush. When this team gets the d joining the rush, we are unstoppable. Pitkanen is just the guy to do this.

I can't stand Peca

Seeing him in a Canes uni would seem almost sac religious

When this team gets the d joining the rush, we are unstoppable. Pitkanen is just the guy to do this.

Nothing against Pits, but I couldn't help but think that the Flyers and Sabres must have thought the same at one point last year. :lol:

Our defense gave up less goals last year than in the 2005-06 season. The problem was that our defense barely ever joined the rush this last year. As in our cup winning year, the defense was always jumping in and joining the rush. When this team gets the d joining the rush, we are unstoppable. Pitkanen is just the guy to do this.

The bigger problem, IMO, was not having a rush because the outlet passing wasn't crisp and the Canes didn't have puck-carriers with speed to back the D off. So it became lots of dump-and-chase.

Think how many stretch passes there were from Stillman to Cole or Staal early in the Cup year. It was almost non-existent this year. Commodore pinched in plenty this year and got burned repeatedly. It's more about knowing when to be aggressive.

Pitkanen's defense is sketchy, while Wallin is one of the better actual defenders on our team. Sure, Pitkanen will score and set up a lot of goals, but is that really what we need when our defense was bad enough when it came to actually playing defense last season?

I completely agree

and to the people who point to Kaberle... yes, he will be a great addition back to the team this year if he remains healthy, but think of how much more potent a scoring team we could be if we had Pitkanen AND Kaberle on defensive lines for us...

I mean seriously, think of this for a second:

Pitkanen - Commodore

Kaberle - Wesley

Tanabe - Hedican

Gleason - Seidenberg

thats (when healthy) 3 defensive lines that can not only play solid defense, but also jump into the offensive scheme and score a goal. Thats deadly right there, and combine that with the offensive lines we'll be throwing out there next year, and we could be a very, very good team next year

Pitkanen - Commodore

Kaberle - Wesley

Tanabe - Hedican

Gleason - Seidenberg

Slight change as Tanabe won't be back :(

Pitkanen-Commodore

Kaberle-Wesley

Gleason-Hedican

Seidenberg-Hutch

But of course all wishful thinking for us ;)

I hate to double post but this just occurred to me. PRUCHA! I think he would fit in nicely as a 3rd line center. He is great in faceoffs, a new, young player, and not considered a BIG TIME player. Whaddya think?

Prucha has some nice skill and is a relatively cheap RFA but at the NHL level with NYR he has almost strictly played on the wing. Trying to convert him to C full-time is a risky move given the failed Letowski experiment last year.

Yeah, it may not work, but even though he is a scorer, and playmaking helps on the center, all we would need to train him on is more skating, better passing, and face-offs, which to me he is already nice at.

After reading about "waiting for a player to decide whether or not to take away the trade clause makes me think mainly about Wallin, and the Rangers may be interested in him, although their defense seems fine.

I hate to double post but this just occurred to me. PRUCHA! I think he would fit in nicely as a 3rd line center. He is great in faceoffs, a new, young player, and not considered a BIG TIME player. Whaddya think?

Prucha has some nice skill and is a relatively cheap RFA but at the NHL level with NYR he has almost strictly played on the wing. Trying to convert him to C full-time is a risky move given the failed Letowski experiment last year.

Yeah, it may not work, but even though he is a scorer, and playmaking helps on the center, all we would need to train him on is more skating, better passing, and face-offs, which to me he is already nice at.

Unfortunately it's not that easy or many wings could effectively shift to center. The single toughest thing to learn, at the NHL level, when moving to center is the defensive responsibilities because it is a primary facet not supporting or help defense that wings provide. It's huge but that's why centers are much more adept at moving to wing than the other way around.

In baseball terms, it's like the defensive differences between 3rd base and shortstop. Many shortstops move to play 3rd but rarely the other way around.

As I said, skating. Centers skate twice as much, they have to be in the rush, but they have to be the first of the forwards to drop back. He's played some games as center, all I'm saying is we could still give it a try.

As I said, skating. Centers skate twice as much, they have to be in the rush, but they have to be the first of the forwards to drop back. He's played some games as center, all I'm saying is we could still give it a try.

It's not skating I'm referring to but rather defensive positioning. For example, Ron Francis was a terrible skater but knew how to economize his movement and was very savvy at reading plays and positioning himself in the proper place.

You are playing in center ice, in front of and behind the net, and that's significantly more challenging than at the wing position. After a year of below par performances and giving guys a whirl at C on the 3rd line, the try-out phase is over. They'll get a legitimate, proven center and ideally someone with enough speed to also be efficient on the wing, e.g., Stumpel.

Phoenix just put Kevyn Adams on waivers. Not really a third line center, so I don't know if this will draw JR's attention. Then again, he is a former Cane, so who knows?

Wasn't it Hedican and Kevyn Adams who came to blows last season? My understanding was that their disagreement was profound enough to affect team chemistry for a while and play a role in Kevyn being shipped off.

Phoenix just put Kevyn Adams on waivers. Not really a third line center, so I don't know if this will draw JR's attention. Then again, he is a former Cane, so who knows?

Where did you see that. It's not on TSN or nhl or spector's or anywhere that i can find.

Where did you see that. It's not on TSN or nhl or spector's or anywhere that i can find.

There is a link in a Phoenix HF Boards post to a French newspaper that says Kevyn and Boynton have been placed on waivers.

Adams won't be back this year as he left on bad terms and doesn't fit into our plan for next season. Phoenix also waived Nick Boynton, if he can make it through the teams below us in the standings and not get claimed I'd be all over him.

Adams won't be back this year as he left on bad terms and doesn't fit into our plan for next season. Phoenix also waived Nick Boynton, if he can make it through the teams below us in the standings and not get claimed I'd be all over him.

I don't think Boynton will make it to us :(

Here's the latest from DeCock's blog

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Wednesday update

All quiet so far today on the trade front. It's possible nothing will happen until this weekend, when there starts to be some time pressure with free agency approaching.

One other tidbit, and it falls under the heading of semi-old news, but Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford said last night he had spoken with Bret Hedican and Hedican told him he was committed to giving it a go in training camp.

Hedican's agent said that last week at the draft, but Rutherford said he's now abandoned any thoughts of pursuing a defenseman when the free-agent market opens Sunday.

As far as Sunday goes, the guess here is that Todd White would be Carolina's No. 1 target :D . He skates well, he's defensively responsible, he might be able to pop 20 goals in Peter Laviolette's system and he could be had for around $2 million.

The Florida Panthers are hot after White, but may not be willing to spend as much as the Canes, who could go as high as $2.3 million (or more, if Peter Karmanos is willing to bump up the budget or the Canes can dump some salary).

Come on White. You have a better chance of getting your name on the cup then you would with Florida. Carolina has a chance to win it again in the next 3 years, Florida not so much.

And that's my note to White, like he'll ever see it.

Hmm, White is from Kanata. That's right by me. Should make him a big card showing all the fans who want him in Carolina and go track him down hahaha

We need to sign Todd White and trade Wallin for Pitkanen. I'd also be in favor of keeping Anson Carter(although that will not happen). I'd also like to give Bobby Hughes a crack at making the team and getting in some valuable time. Then we could roll out this beauty of a team:

Stillman - Brind'Amour - Williams Amazing line that will be tough on D and pour in a ton of goals

Whitney - Staal - Cole Another amazing line that will score in bunches when they get hot

Ladd- White - Walker A perfect mix of new NHL hockey. Ladd can develop with the leadership of Walker and White and I could easily see White put up 25 goals on this line

Adams - LaRose - Carter A grinder line which can also score some goals. Larose can be a player and Hughes/Sutter could see some time in the next year or two and replace Adams and Carter down the road

Pitkanen- Commodore Great scorer in Pit and a sound defensive player in Commy

Kaberle- Wesley Another scorer/stay at home combo

Gleason- Hutchinson I really like Hutch and see him as a future power play QB for the team. Every time he plays he does well, he just needs a chance

Seidenberg- Hedican I would dump Hedican, but I don't see that coming

Ward- Grahme Solid duo

Not sure if I'd like Commodore paired with Pitkaken. Joni isn't exactly known for his defensive skills and Commie likes to pinch at the wrong times.